I need a new amp.

Here's what I want:
- Loud enough to practice with a drummer
- Easy to move/Lightweight
- Great Clean Tones
- Solid State
- Headphone Out

Extras:
- Effects (Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser etc.)
- Line Out
- Good Distortion Channel

Budget - £100, although I will go over if the amp is really good.

I need a solid state amp due to the amount of transport in very, very rough conditions and the possibility of lots and lots of kicking about/falling over, I don't want to be worrying about messing around with broken valves. So please, NO comments saying "GET A VALVE AMP!" They will be ignored.

I play rock (classic/prog/modern) mainly. But I have pedals for the overdrive/distortion. I need a nice bass and mid, but trebles are normally low, so not as important.

So any and all recommendations appreciated, but no valves!

Thanks
roland cubes are incredible
so are peavey vypyrs
and i hate marshall MG series
and line 6 are either brilliant or rubbish, depending on who you ask

theres my experience of solid state amps summed up in 4 lines

for £100 i doubt you'll get anything loud enough to play with a drummer unless its second hand or b-stock. personally, id reccomend a roland cube but im not sure what wattage you'll be able to stretch to

choosing a new amp is no easy task, good luck man \m/
Roland Cube. One of the best budget solid states going, although you may have to up your budget a bit, £100 for an amp loud enough to comfortably compete with a drummer may be pushing it.

If I had the cash available to get the amp I'm after I'd even sell you mine. >< Actually saying that, how is using a Line 6 UX1 with regular (decent) PC speakers? As in it wont damage them or anything.

I currently run my ux1 through the Aux input on my roland cube, if someone gives me the good to go on using it with speakers I will sell you my Cube, it's a 30x model, which will compete with a drummer in a practice session easily. I'd do it for £100, not including P&P.
Last edited by elvor0 at Apr 10, 2011,
I don't think you're going to get anything for 100 loud enough to jam with a drummer.

Unless you go used.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
A Peavey Vypyr 30 should be just fine, my Vypyr 15 is quite enough, now that I think about it. A Vypyr 15 is 100 USD, and a Vypyr 30 is 200 USD.
Quote by Trowzaa
I can't look at anything starting with BB and not thinking big busty.
Big Busty Queefing.
I think £100 is pushing it a lot, I'm gonna up my budget to £200.

I should just add, I need an amp that can handle pedals. Also, I'm in the U.K. So I'll need something I can ship from here or Europe.
One of the new Cube XLs would be perfect, although you'd want one of the Boss footswitch things aswell.
Quote by TheKraken
I think £100 is pushing it a lot, I'm gonna up my budget to £200.

I should just add, I need an amp that can handle pedals. Also, I'm in the U.K. So I'll need something I can ship from here or Europe.

Believe the cube can handle pedals quite nicely, I've not used them extensively myself aside from a JS Time Machine (delay) and a Cry Baby Wah, but they sounded sweet as a nut.

What area of the UK are you in? And in regards to the guy above, I've got one of the boss foot switches which I can chuck in for a cut price.
Last edited by elvor0 at Apr 10, 2011,
Quote by Darkflame
for that price the only cube you can get is the 15, and it's absolute garbage.
I don't really like the bigger ones, but some love them.
I vote Fender Mustang or Vox Valvetronix, since TS wants a clean amp and the cube and vypyr are "better" at high-gain.

Nowai man, the Cube's cleans are pretty amazing, and it's the most portable of all of them.
Are we all looking at Chappers for this? Because I am, after remembering his practice amp shootout. Looks like overall it's between the Fender Mustang and the Roland Cube XL.
After watching that video of him playing through his 4 x 12 I'm pertty settled on a Roland Cube XL. Most likely the 40XL. It's got lots of built in effects, possibly good enough to leave my pedals at home for most practices.
Anybody disagree? Say why.

Thanks for all the contributions!
Quote by TheKraken
Are we all looking at Chappers for this? Because I am, after remembering his practice amp shootout. Looks like overall it's between the Fender Mustang and the Roland Cube XL.
After watching that video of him playing through his 4 x 12 I'm pertty settled on a Roland Cube XL. Most likely the 40XL. It's got lots of built in effects, possibly good enough to leave my pedals at home for most practices.
Anybody disagree? Say why.

Thanks for all the contributions!

I must admit, our mighty simian shred god did influence my suggestion a substantial bit