Okay so my friend raps, and wants to record some stuff this summer. Cool that gives me something to do. I want it to sound good. I will have about a $500 budget to spend before we start recording

We are recording in a friends "storage house" that has a crap load of stuff in the room that kills the noise pretty good so I am not to worried about needing to buy anything to kill noise.

The thing is idk what I need. I got monitors KRK Rokit (not the best but get the job done for sure), UX2 interface (which I don't want to replace until I can afford more inputs), plenty of XLR cables, pop filter ,mic stand, DAW, and VSTs that I will use for mixing.

Here is the questionable thing. I plan on using my Behringer C-1. Your laughing at me now saying "NOOOB" but for hip-hop/rap I like the sound. Here is a vocal clip with it. All that is on that mic chain is the EQ I always use as a starting point for vocals and a compressor I just threw on real quick. This was recorded in the room we will be recording.

Based on that sample, do you thing a mic upgrade should be made? One thing I was considering is getting one of those things that you plug multiple headphones into so multiple can hear. I don't want to upgrade the mic if it doesn't seem necessary, as I would rather spend the money on a new synth, but mic takes importance over the synth. I have an SM58 mic as well, but don't plan on using it (its actually at my friends house in Minnosota as he left it there before going to China)...

TLDR: Is the sample good enough or should I buy a new mic? If sample is good enough any suggestions on hardware to buy?
Last edited by FireHawk at Apr 10, 2011,
if you have always use an EQ as a "starting point" then you dont actually like your mic. a mic should sound good without any processing whatsoever. now with mics in that price range, that's very very rare, but only EQ if you actually NEED it.

i'd stick with a condenser for rap/hip hop. now if he's providing the backing tracks, or if you already have everything you need to produce them, i would look into a new mic. $500 can get you a mic that you probably wont ever want to replace (you may want to have a larger collection, but that money can get you one good enough that you'll keep it in your collection and will find uses for down the road) and once you hit that level, you'll need to start thinking about paring the mic with his voice. some crazy nice mics just dont sound crazy nice on everyone...

perhaps take a look at whatever room you are going to be mixing in and start thinking about treating it. i know you said there's lots of stuff in your tracking room, but even if you mix in there, you have to remember that there's good absorption/reflection and bad absorption/reflection. chances are you're still going to have low end issues (which is crazy important for rap/hip hop) and either too much reflection or absorption in the high end/upper mids. $500 should get you a fair start on treating a mix room.
Quote by IK Obi
I'd look at getting a dynamic for vocals. It'll sound better for spoken word in my opinion and you get less room in your recording if it isn't treated. So get that SM58 back if you can and look at getting a real preamp for it to really get it sounding great.

And yet the 'go-to mic' for all rap producers I've looked into is a U67...
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
It was better than I was expecting. Honestly, you'll be fine with it for starting out. I'd say get a synth or midi keyboard since most of rap is produced with electronic sounds (trying to think of the best way to phrase it). Then again, I'm kinda keyboard happy considering I have a new Keyboard sitting at Guitar Center I get to pick up in about a month (stupid used holdings)
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
It was better than I was expecting. Honestly, you'll be fine with it for starting out. I'd say get a synth or midi keyboard since most of rap is produced with electronic sounds (trying to think of the best way to phrase it). Then again, I'm kinda keyboard happy considering I have a new Keyboard sitting at Guitar Center I get to pick up in about a month (stupid used holdings)

Yeah I got 2 midi keyboards and an MPD and such so the production is not a problem at all. I have been doing electronic, rock, industrial rock, and hip hop music for a while now.

The more I look at this its should I get a new mic is really the only question lol. I am still on fence I don't feel its a necessity, but I am gonna be upgrading (almost) all of my gear when I graduate (year from now) so I may just get a head start on it now and start saving for an interface with atleast 8 inputs or drum mics.

EDIT: I am kinda being stingy with money as I am getting a really good education without getting loans. I have made it 3 years without a single loan for uni at a good school (been working since I was 14), and now my college fund is running low, but I kinda want to have uni all paid for when I graduate so I can start upgrading my little make shift "studio" with out being in debt to start with.
Last edited by FireHawk at Apr 11, 2011,
I'll echo the idea of upgrading the mic. For your budget, you'll get something that you'll always like to have around, and if you ever upgrade from it, it will be to something that will truly be stellar.

I'd like to get (almost in that price range), the Rode NT2000.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.