Ive been trying to get Colony of Birchmen down, and Im having a little bit of trouble with the tone. Does anyone have any advice for getting a good sludge metal tone like this?

My ds pedals are an Ibanez SM-7 and a Boss DS-2 (through a strat, never been much of a metal guitarist) just to give you an idea what I have to work with.

And also, any tips for playing drop tunings like this (whole step down) on a strat? Im using Ernie Ball Super Slinkies right now, considering maybe trying a heavier gauge, just not so much that I cant use this in my schools jazz band :P.
super slinkies are 9s right? I've used those for C# standard. I'd step up to at least 10s though, I use 11s but that is quite a jump from 9s, especially in E standard.

What amp are you using? For Mastodon stuff I pretty much just crank the mids and roll back the bass and treble a bit, gain then to taste. With single coils you might want to compensate with extra low end or a little less treble though. Its hard to help without knowing what amp you have.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Yeah super slinkies are 9s. Im playing through a little Blazer 158 amp. So its the mids mainly? Thats one thing Ive never had a good grasp of, how the mids affect my tone, probably something worthwhile to know haha.
Yeah, as a general rule mids are what give the crunch in a tone. Gain does also but at a certain point it just adds noise and begins to smooth out the tone. With single coils you'll want to add a bit more low end or roll off some of the high. A good amount of mids and easy on the gain, just enough to get some grit.

Mastodon use boosted JCM800s, Brent Hinds has been using an orange and a diezel too recently, but that boosted JCM tone is really what you're after.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.