Hey everyone I'm looking to buy some new gear and I'm stuck in between spending it all to get an american standard strat or only spending around half of it on a Blues jr NOS. As of now I have a standard epiphone les paul, and a mustang II amp, as well as some smaller things like a ds1 distortion pedal and a wah wah pedal. I'm worried about making this decision, as if I get the guitar my amp may just put it to shame and it will not sound as good as I want it to. Whereas I really want to play more bluesy stuff which the les paul isn't as good as doing as the strats. Also I have been thinking about maybe just getting the mexican strat and the blues jr. But I've heard so many negative things about the mexican strats, that I feel it would be better just to save up for the american one. Can you guys just give me some suggestions on what I should do?
mexican strats are fine guitars. very solid for the money. where do you live, what is your budget, what styles of music do you want to play?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Check out the G&L Tribute Series Legacy as a great alternative to the strat - getting closer to American Standard quality at MIM price.
Quote by InanezGuitars44
mexican strats are fine guitars. very solid for the money. where do you live, what is your budget, what styles of music do you want to play?

I live in Vancouver I have around $1200 saved up and like to play classic rock and some hard rock, as well as blues. My favourite artists are The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, SRV and pretty much everything in between.
Quote by mmolteratx
Buy both used.

I've been looking at prices and there isn't too much of a saving if you buy it used rather then new.
Quote by katalyzt13
Check out the G&L Tribute Series Legacy as a great alternative to the strat - getting closer to American Standard quality at MIM price.

I'm not too keen on getting a lesser known guitar, as I had a bad experience from buying a peavey predator that doesn't hold it's tune, has a loose input, and goes through strings like crazy.
There's definitely a huge savings used, at least where I live. Blues Jrs regularly go for $250 and American Standards go for $600-700. I bought and sold my Blues Jr for $300 and I paid a bit much.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
There's definitely a huge savings used, at least where I live. Blues Jrs regularly go for $250 and American Standards go for $600-700. I bought and sold my Blues Jr for $300 and I paid a bit much.

Ya I only looked around on craigslist for stuff in my area and they had pretty slim pickings basically no blues jrs and all the american strats were around $800-950
don't base all non-huge name brands on a cheap peavey
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by malio14
I'm not too keen on getting a lesser known guitar, as I had a bad experience from buying a peavey predator that doesn't hold it's tune, has a loose input, and goes through strings like crazy.

G&L is the company that Leo Fender founded when he left Fender. Far from an unknown company. And their standard Legacy models (around 1.2k) are pretty much equal to Fender Custom Shop Standard.
get a G&L and a carvin v16.

which vancouver? The cool, FIRST one in WA?
or the other, overpopulated one in CA?
lol...

If you're in WA, drive over to apple music, and try a G&L tribute legacy. You'll like it, i bet.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Last edited by evhbrianmay at Apr 11, 2011,
Quote by evhbrianmay
get a G&L and a carvin v16.

which vancouver? The cool, FIRST one in WA?
or the other, overpopulated one in CA?
lol...

If you're in WA, drive over to apple music, and try a G&L tribute legacy. You'll like it, i bet.

well I suppose I'm in the overpopulated one lol
Quote by NakedInTheRain
G&L is the company that Leo Fender founded when he left Fender. Far from an unknown company. And their standard Legacy models (around 1.2k) are pretty much equal to Fender Custom Shop Standard.

oh wow here I was thinking this was a knock off when Leo Fender was actually behind it lol
Quote by malio14
oh wow here I was thinking this was a knock off when Leo Fender was actually behind it lol

Yeah, some people reckon the G&Ls are more Fender-esque than the Fenders these days.

I was considering picking up a used Tribute Legacy, but then I got a really good offer on a Strat Plus with upgraded pickups, so I went for that instead.