Hey guys, I've finally whittled down my options to a few songs to learn for my first song. I've been playing guitar on and off for a little bit and now it's time for me to get serious.

I've come down to:

Metallica: For Whom The Bell Tolls
Dream Theater: Peruvian Skies
Dream Theater: Innocence Faded
DreamTheater: I Walk Beside You
At The Drive-In: Pattern Against User

Out of these songs, which one would challenge me enough to improve multiple techniques while learning it? Thanks in advance!
If you haven't learnt a song yet I suggest For Whom The Bell Tolls - A pretty easy song with some nice licks.
It all depends on your skill, personally one of the first badass songs I've ever learnt was Black Sabbath from Black Sabbath. It taught me Trills, Triplets, & Bar Chords. After learning a few songs learn the Pentatonic scale, fairly easy, for I think they're called Octave Bar Chords, (if I'm not wrong about the name) Fire from Jimi Hendrix. Like it said it all depends on your level. IF your now trying to learn a song and know your chords and a few things, I'd learn Beatles, Black Sabbath & a little of Zeppelin. They're pretty classic but they can make you a master at Riff Making and Song Making, if your gonna take your guitar playing that serious,
Last edited by SabbathIommi69 at Apr 10, 2011,
In fact all those artists your naming took big influences from Tony Iommi, Jimi Hendrix, George Harrison, & Jimmy Page
Quote by InertSolo
Hey guys, I've finally whittled down my options to a few songs to learn for my first song. I've been playing guitar on and off for a little bit and now it's time for me to get serious.

I've come down to:

Metallica: For Whom The Bell Tolls
Dream Theater: Peruvian Skies
Dream Theater: Innocence Faded
DreamTheater: I Walk Beside You
At The Drive-In: Pattern Against User

Out of these songs, which one would challenge me enough to improve multiple techniques while learning it? Thanks in advance!

For Whom and I Walk are both really easy. Learn those two inside and out. They'll teach you about the same thing from entirely different perspectives.

For Whom the Bell Tolls is going to give you a primer lesson on power chords and minor tonality. It's got easy melodies and straightforward riffs. Plus, you can improvise some solos over the powerchords at the end.

I Walk Beside You is going to teach you powerchords, some thirds if I remember the song correctly, and major tonality. Plus, you can learn the full chords instead of powerchords and pick up women, since it's kind of poppy and positive sounding.
Thanks a lot guys, coincidentally those were the two I was having the easiest time with so far
i wouldnt recommand you to start with dream theater songs:P try something cool but easy.
Yea, some of those songs look a bit on the tough side. If it's your very first song, it ought to be something really manageable so you can master it quick and move on. It would suck for the first song to take incredibly long to learn. You won't stick with it in that case.