so, im looking to get a new guitar in the future because im looking to get a more "professional" rig. Its for a thrash metal band. I like thin necks sp ive been looking into ltd and Ibanez guitars. Willing to go used. Max budget is $1000. Im loving the looks of the ltd mh-1000 FR but was wondering if i could find something better used. Looking at mostly superstrat amd explorer shapes.songs we i learned for the audition are battery by metallica, tornado of souls by megadeth, and angel of death by slayer. Any suggestions? No jacksons please. Thanks!
Ibanez Prestige series with new pickups (RG5XX series) or a Japanese Jackson Dinky with an OFR (especially if you want that megadeth sound), those are about the best you can get for under a grand right now, I heard schecter has some good stuff too but I can't verify that. Stay away from ESP/LTD with the exception of the high end models, most of their mid range stuff it crap.

For amps, cant go wrong with a Marshall, or Peavy. Carvin are good too, just as good as a Marshall but about half the price. get the x100B. Just looking for a tube amp within the 50-100 watt range that uses EL34 or 6L6/5881 tubes. EL34 gives you more mids, like that British Marshall tone. 6L6/5881 gives you the American Mesa like sounds, scooped out mids with a more modern gain stage.

as for pickups, something high output, like a Duncan JB (megadeth) or a Dimarzio d-activator (sounds like an EMG but is passive) or some SD Blackouts (active)

that should get you a good sound.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
Ibanez Prestige series with new pickups (RG5XX series) or a Japanese Jackson Dinky with an OFR (especially if you want that megadeth sound), those are about the best you can get for under a grand right now, I heard schecter has some good stuff too but I can't verify that. Stay away from ESP/LTD with the exception of the high end models, most of their mid range stuff it crap.

For amps, cant go wrong with a Marshall, or Peavy. Carvin are good too, just as good as a Marshall but about half the price. get the x100B. Just looking for a tube amp within the 50-100 watt range that uses EL34 or 6L6/5881 tubes. EL34 gives you more mids, like that British Marshall tone. 6L6/5881 gives you the American Mesa like sounds, scooped out mids with a more modern gain stage.

as for pickups, something high output, like a Duncan JB (megadeth) or a Dimarzio d-activator (sounds like an EMG but is passive) or some SD Blackouts (active)

that should get you a good sound.

lol he specifically said no jacksons :P

as for esp/ltd, the ones ive played (low to mid range) are excellent infact others might agree too. look along the ex sereise (explorer shape)
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
ive thought about the Ibanez Prestige models but i dont want to swap pickups. And im just looking for guitars. my amp will probably be a Peavey Ultra plus head into a cab most likely with celestion vintage 30s. Still havent decided. Any other suggestion? And thanks so far!

EDIT:im going to be playing rhythm most of the time
Last edited by shecter guy at Apr 10, 2011,
Why no Jacksons? Jacksons are iconic in Thrash, Megadeth and Anthrax have strong Jackson links, and Kirk Hammett plays one quite a lot. Even James Hetfield had a King V once upon a time.

The MH-1000 should do you fine for Thrash.

I could get my head bitten off for this one but you could like at Kirk Hammett and Jeff Hennamens ESP/LTD signature guitars.

Also, check out the BC Rich Gunslinger! Very cool guitar. Its not to insane like other BC Rich models.
Quote by shecter guy
ive thought about the Ibanez Prestige models but i dont want to swap pickups. And im just looking for guitars. my amp will probably be a Peavey Ultra plus head into a cab most likely with celestion vintage 30s. Still havent decided. Any other suggestion? And thanks so far!

EDIT:im going to be playing rhythm most of the time

Excellent choice of an amp. I love Ultras.. wouldn't mind having one. Anyways..

The first bad LTD -1000 of any model I play will be the first. They're excellent guitars for the price.

I'm also curious why you don't want Jackson. The Jacksons in your price range are just as good (if not better) than the LTDs in the same range, and they're perfect for what you want.

Quote by jkielq91

I could get my head bitten off for this one but you could like at Kirk Hammett and Jeff Hennamens ESP/LTD signature guitars.

Only problem I have with signature guitars is that you're paying some for the name on the guitar. I've played some good ones though. But I'd never be interested in buying a signature guitar unless it had my name on it.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Last edited by 3074326 at Apr 11, 2011,
if i got a signature it would be the KH 602. Seems like a great guitar and not easily identified as a signature guitar by regular fans. And i said no jacksons because i HATE compound radius necks. I cant play for anything on them. Used to have a jackson and sold it
Why delarich decided to suggest you a $4000 amp I will not know.

Anyhow - I would get a new, solid amp first and then worry about a new guitar later. The schecter you have now can slam with thrash already. The MH-1000 would be great, and be an all around better guitar, but your sound is gonna come mostly from an amp.
as i posted, im planning on getting a peavey ultra plus. Ive already got the rest of my rig planned. Which is why this is the guitar thread. Im going to use the schecter for different tunings and i know its great for thrash.