Hey guys,

I'm on the hunt for a gigging amp, as I've started to really ramp things up with my band now, and I've come across a year old Peavey Classic 50 4x10 combo for $700 Australian. I was wondering if this was a good deal and what opinions people have on the amp?

I play mainly very riff-based Pop-punk and Alt-rock/Modern Rock, with some progressive influences, in the style of blink-182, Feeder, Gyroscope, Foo Fighters, The Ataris and I occasionally play some Porcupine Tree, Muse and Karnivool influenced stuff.

I probably won't get much opportunity to try before buying, since it's located a fair way away, so if I go to get it, it'll be with the intention of buying it.

So yeah, is this worth it? Or is there something better in my price range? (probably a maximum of $850, the price of a new C30).

As you can see, I'm indifferent to buying used/new, solid state/valve doesn't bother me (I really like the AC30VR for instance). Nearest city is Perth, WA. Current gear is in the sig, but it's not a very large list.

I think thats it..

Cheers
its a great amp, best suited for jazz/blues and light classic rock, you will need some pedals to get all the tones you are looking for.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Quote by pawnluv
its a great amp, best suited for jazz/blues and light classic rock, you will need some pedals to get all the tones you are looking for.

I don't really agree. I never saw the classic series as jazz amps. I think it'll do what you want wonderfully. It won't get that heavy on it's on, but I don't think you really need to worry about that with the tones you're going for TS.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Yeah, it'll need a boost to get the heavier side of what you're after.
I could get pretty close Iron Maiden type tones from my C30 without a boost, although with a boost it was a lot better!
Yeah, I've heard demos of the C30 demonstrating its gain capabilities, and they seemed to be on a par with what I need, I was wondering really if its much of a different amp other than having more wattage and speakers.