I had pretty much made up my mind on picking up one of the new pro-mod Charvel So Cals, but then I happened upon Carvin guitars. They seem to be generally well recieved, and for around $1100 I could have a killer super strat built to my specs. Only thing I'd have to do with the Carvin is swap the pups for dimarzios (I'm thinking tone zone/air norton combo). Not to mention I don't like floyds (Charvel), and could get a nice Wilkinson trem on the Carvin. However, there's no opportunity to try the guitar before I buy it (I live in the Canada, so shipping kills the return policy). Anyone have experience with Carvin (quality, feel, etc)? Also, how do the necks compare to the Charvel, or even to a normal Fender Strat?
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Simply put, Carvin is my favourite company overall.
They have the best prices, with quality products, and with the most variety of options.

What's not to like? I love my CT-4. I plan on buying an Icon bass next year sometime.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I vote for the Charvel simply because I love mine. I think its a great brand and I'm a huge fan. That being said, I have enjoyed the Carvins I have played. They are normally high quality and the customization options are really unlimited. Of the two people I know who have bought Carvins, one person has four of them and the other turned and sold the one he had made within a week of receiving it. Carvin runs a risk... I love my Charvel.
Carvin guitars and basses are first-rate in every respect. They offer dozens of customizing options; they use the finest components and the fit and finish are second to none. I've got a Carvin six-string bass and it is better than anything at twice the price.

I don't know how the neck would compare to a modern Charvel. Are you looking at a Carvin neck-through or bolt-on? It makes a bit of a difference.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I want a Carvin. The DC-145 is my dream guitar.
Am yet to read a bad review of them.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Does anybody know the return policy of Carvin?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Carvin's are great, when they say custom mean it. Probably the nicest guitars you can get without paying $4000. The necks are a bit thicker than a charvel but thinner than a strat. I think it is something like 21mm at the first then goes to 22mm at the 12th if I remember. Also the radius is fixed, a straight 10 12 or 14. A Jackson/Charvel is 12-16 compound. I believe Carvin's have a D shape profile neck, at least that is what I remember, I haven't played one in a few years.

You can't go wrong with either one, both are great guitars.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
^ at OliOsbourne, Carvin's policy is that you have 10 days from when you recieve the guitar (not from when it's shipped). During that time you can play the hell out of it. If you decide you don't like it, you pay return shipping and get a full refund.

Also, I'd definitely go with the bolt-on neck. I'm a strat player currently, so I'm used to neck that's a little bulkier. That being said, if the options available, having a neck that was a bit slimmer wouldn't bother me at all. Does Carvin offer rolled fret edges? That's one feature I've always loved on Fenders (and the Charvels).
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Nimbus456
I want a Carvin. The DC-145 is my dream guitar.
Am yet to read a bad review of them.

your dream guitar is 830 bucks?

they do look nice, Cant really say much else about them other than if they are as god of quality as people make them out to be then they are extremely good value.
Quote by voleurz

I don't understand what you mean
Quote by realbebop
I don't understand what you mean

kind of like saying your dream car is hyundai genesis.
Except he can make his dream become reality with a very fine instrument at 830 bucks.
Quote by voleurz
kind of like saying your dream car is hyundai genesis.

I really doubt the final price would be $830, and even if it did it's damn nice for $830 - the custom options are where Carvin makes their money. A DC727 starts at $850 iirc but I can easily run that up closer to $1500.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Apr 11, 2011,
Carvin is pretty good. They're not all flawless though. Mine has a cracked fretboard and the frets weren't filed completely, though it's still the best guitar for features, playability, and versatility that I've played.
whats wrong with a 830 dollar dream guitar? if it works for you....

and thats 830 stock. you can build it any way you want and make it a 2500 dollar guitar if you upgrade the hell out of every option. thats why carvin is great.

any wood how you want it. any hardware, any color, any bridge type, lots of headstock options, switching options, active/passive, peizo, inlays, fret type, set neck, neck through, bolt on, hollow body, double cut, single cut, Vs.....everything.

carvin literally are the most customizable not specialty custom shop makers around i think. i say that cause its a semi custom guitar, but its not like its built for you, you merely select from a pre-designed list so the guitar is build to suit you per say.
Played their reverse star, have wanted one ever since. The heel on the neckthrough is amazing, makes the upper frets really accessible. I say go for it, if it isn't everythiiing you want, return it?
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Quote by voleurz

they do look nice, Cant really say much else about them other than if they are as god of quality as people make them out to be then they are extremely good value.

830?!!? What country does it cost that much in!?!?
Dayum, they want to charge me 1800 for it, BEFORE I customise it.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3