Hey there I search bar'd but no joy for this.

I'm aching to get a 7-string guitar, but like with any other new purchase there's a multitude of things to consider. The main one here is the kind of pickups! I have heard and read a lot of opinions which swear that active pickups such as the EMG707 are essential for clarity on that low B. Others don't seem to give a toss xD two notable contrasting users of 7 strings would be Rusty Cooley (actives) and Steve Vai (passives)

The problem is that in my area, I don't have chance to test out any 7's.. this would be an online order. If it's any help, I'm looking at guitars such as the Ibanez RG7321 and ESP LTD MH417. Both are fixed-bridge and the Ibby has passives whereas the ESP comes loaded with EMG707/81-7.

tl;dr - active or passive pups for 7-string?
Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you need a certain type of pickup for anything.
There are plenty of passives that will give you lots of clarity on the low B. My JP7 has Dimarzio's and the low B is very clear.
The stock pickups in the RG7321 are pretty muddy though.

If you want something very clear and more compressed, and you don't need pristine cleans, the EMG's will be fine.
If cleans are more important and you want them to be more dynamic, passives are great.
Last edited by littlephil at Apr 10, 2011,
Quote by littlephil
Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you need a certain type of pickup for anything.
There are plenty of passives that will give you lots of clarity on the low B. My JP7 has Dimarzio's and the low B is very clear.
The stock pickups in the RG7321 are pretty muddy though.

If you want something very clear and more compressed, and you don't need pristine cleans, the EMG's will be fine.
If cleans are more important and you want them to be more dynamic, passives are great.

I'm happy enough with passives so far, I've used EMG's on a friend's Jackson and though they sound great for metal I don't agree with them for anything else.. so this is good news!

I fully expect to upgrade the pickups on the RG7321FM(blackberry sunburst), truth be told a large part of my reason for wanting it is that IT ISNT BLACK!! It's somewhat comical how difficult it is to find an inexpensive 7-string that isn't a dark colour I like the Dimarzio Air Norton in my SAS36 so I'll likely stick with them
Try what some and find out what you like. Most Ibanez UVs and RG7s seem to have Dimarzios, Mostly Blaze and Evolution pickups, also the Dsonic and Petrucci pickups. If you like the sound of those players, than that would be a good staring point

Same with the metal guys, Dino from fear factory uses SD Blackouts, Rusty Cooley uses EMG 707s I think, so does Angel Vivaldi and some other guys.

it just depends, active pickups tend to be more aggressive, and are high output, but aren't really that good with cleans.

Passive pickups might not have as much output or aggressiveness, but they have better response - the lighter you play the quieter they will be and tend to be better with clean stuff (not saying that Actives are bad, but passives work better IMO)

It just depends on what you like.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
i would go with passives. i have emg's in my schecter 7 and i get alot more noise from those pickups than my other guitar players ibanez 7 string with passives. I like passives over actives in a 7.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
I'll likely stick with passives then, I intend to upgrade the stock pups to the Dimarzio Blaze/Evolutions. Almost all my idols use passives (Paul Gilbert, Vai & Satch etc) so this seems the best option for the sound I want. I had to be sure though, I'd hate to buy a 7-string only to find the low B all muddy.

Thanks guys!
Yeah theres no set rules really.
I'm a passive guy myself
If you get good passives like the specific BKPs for the purpose or even a dimarzio crunchlab/liquifire set you'll be good to go with this IMO.

EMG do excel on 7 strings etc though
Seymour Duncan's seven string pup range is pretty underated in my opinion. If you had the coin, bareknuckles?
If you have the budget, bareknuckle or a Lundgren m7. That's about as good as you can get for 7 strings. I've heard talk about qtuners being good, but I've never tried one or even heard one.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Quote by omentremor
Seymour Duncan's seven string pup range is pretty underated in my opinion. If you had the coin, bareknuckles?

Money isn't really any object here, so if a pickup is worth the price then I'll get it.

It's a nuisance not being able to realistically "try before you buy" with these things!