Page 1 of 2
Before everyone jumps on the "it's all just technique brah" bandwagon, let me tell you, it's not. Haha. I switched guitars a few months ago and made a major upgrade, and now the pinch harmonics don't sound as good. I can still do them fine. Just not as easily and even when I hit them perfectly they don't sound as full and don't ring out as long. I honestly don't know what causes this but it's making me almost consider getting rid of my otherwise lovely new guitar.
I hate my sig
Quote by Black Hazard
EMG's and a high gain head = amazing pinches every time.

I have Blackouts and a 100w Valveking head being boosted with an OD. I'm pretty sure it's not the pickups or amp.
I hate my sig
Ibanez+Mesa Boogie. Yeah, its not your equipment
"One day I'm just gonna get of the bus and run in the woods and never come back, and when I come back, I'm gonna be the Knife Master.'"
- The Rev

"It's not how you pick your nose, it's where you put that booger that counts."
-Tre Cool
what guitar DID you have and what guitar did you switch to? + amp? mabye there was higher output pickups on your old guitar?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
*sigh* everyone stillsays the same thing anyway. Before I was playing a cheap Ibanez GAX with stock pickups. I could do pinch harmonics great, playing through the same amp and pedals with lower output pickups. I really doesn't make sense to me. And like I said, I can still do the pinch harmonics but they sound thin and die quickly

Edit: and now I have a Schecter Blackjack with active blackouts.
I hate my sig
Last edited by QuantumMechanix at Apr 11, 2011,
Are you using thinner strings now? Does the bridge have less mass? Is it feeding back easily? There are dozens of things that could kill your pinches. It could even be that you've got a little more distortion now, which is making the guitar break into feedback before the pinch can really ring. Or maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
It might be a lack of mids from the active pickups. I think the blackouts have a kind of scooped mid sound? (Iv never actually heard them, just the general impression I had)

this could cause worse pinches, because most harmonics ring out with more mid frequencies.
Anxiously Anticipating An Attractive ADA-MP1 Addition!
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Are you using thinner strings now? Does the bridge have less mass? Is it feeding back easily? There are dozens of things that could kill your pinches. It could even be that you've got a little more distortion now, which is making the guitar break into feedback before the pinch can really ring. Or maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.

Those are actually good points. I'm using the same gague strings... The bridge does have less mass I guess (but idk what difference that makes... And yes it feeds back very easily if I don't have my noise gate on. I don't know if the noise gate has something to do with it. I doubt it cause the pinch harmonics just seem weak all around
I hate my sig
I don't know really but, doesn't each guitar have a sweet spot ??

On my Les Paul I find it really easy, but I have to try out a couple on my friends SG till I find the sweet spot :S

Anyway good luck (also turn the noise gate threshold down ?)
Gibson Les Paul Std HB
Fender MIM telecaster MW
Epiphone ZW Les Paul
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12
MXR ZW-44
Dunlop Crybaby
Line 6 Relay G30

www.myspace.com/arovidia

Quote by Will Swanson
Pull your scrotum out, and smear it over your walls.
Quote by Beefyfrog
I don't know really but, doesn't each guitar have a sweet spot ??

was just going to say this. maybe you havent found the sweet spot on the guitar yet.

also did you change your EQ's on the amp with the guitars changing? obvious statement but different pickups respond differently to the same amp settings on the same amp. esp when going from stock pups to blackouts.
harmonics will be very different if the scale of the neck is different.

so... i would check out your guitars and see if the scale and/or radius are any different.
idk but i can agree its porbably not a technique problem, i had a similar problem from swithching between my guitar and my cousins epi sg. couldnt hit a single one, but with the right amp settings, they pop like a dream
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Maybe I just need to turn my threshold down or find the sweet spot. It just didn't seem this hard on my Ibby
I hate my sig
You probably need to alter the point on the string where you hit your pinch. I can do them well - but not perfectly on different guitars. Some people just hit pinches like ridiculous that sound out of this world, and some people are happy with the high squeal they get.
It's a different guitar. It's not harder. It'll resonate better at different frequencies though. And has different action etc.

So its different, so you need to relearn/adjust your technique.

It's all your technique brah
Quote by QuantumMechanix
I have Blackouts and a 100w Valveking head being boosted with an OD. I'm pretty sure it's not the pickups or amp.

I don't mean to sound like a dick or anything...but I really think its the amp.

The Valveking will react like a solid state amp when you push it kind of hard.
Especially when you get into the metal territory.
You shouldn't use the dirty channel with actives+ OD. It will hurt your dynamics.

A lower output pickup is most likely within the best range of the amp.
Don't let this discourage you from keeping that guitar though. You are going to have to dial back the gain and/or volume. You are most likely pushing it too hard.

I think your teknik is probably good...but the VK just has trouble handling excessive gain. If you can borrow a compressor/limiter play around with that and see if the limiter can help keeping your gain from spiking into unfriendly territory.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Apr 11, 2011,
Quote by Washburnd Fretz

You shouldn't use the dirty channel with actives+ OD. It will hurt your dynamics.

A lower output pickup is most likely within the best range of the amp.
Don't let this discourage you from keeping that guitar though. You are going to have to dial back the gain and/or volume. You are most likely pushing it too hard.

I think your teknik is probably good...but the VK just has trouble handling excessive gain. If you can borrow a compressor/limiter play around with that and see if the limiter can help keeping your gain from spiking into unfriendly territory.

I've tried it on my buddy's 5150 so I really don't think it's the amp. Maybe a compressor would help. I've actually been thinking about that. Or maybe I should get some thicker strings.
I hate my sig
It's technique, brah.

Fo reals though, I can along with many others I'm sure can, do pinch harmonics on acoustics, not loud, but you can hear the harmonic note.

Your gear is awesome, and easily good enough.

EDIT: Unless you have super huge strings, It's really all technique, no matter how much you don't want to hear it.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
does the pinch ring out and die quickly? what happens when you attempt it? ( ireally want to knw the solution haha)
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
I tune my Strat with 10's to Eb, I use the regular drive channel on my amp with a Boss SD-1 and I can get Zakk Wylde style pinch harmonics with ease, better than on my Ibanez, which is weird! I'd try tuning lower and using heavier strings.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Dude you have blackouts and a valveking.
Its either you, or try changing the batteries in your pups.

As was said somewhere above, most people if not all that have got the technique down pat can pull off pinch harmonics all over the place on acoustic guitars.

EDIT: I'm just going to run through the basics of how to do it.
1. Put finger on desired fret.
2. Dig pick in and follow through.
3. Clip the string with your thumb.
4. DUN, DUN, DUN DUNDUDN, *squeal* DUNDUNDUN.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Last edited by Nimbus456 at Apr 11, 2011,
id say adjust your noise gate...if not, if you have a trem MAYBE upgrade to a brass big block
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Hi, I am looking for an amp setting close to the sound of bands like Black Veil Brides.

Quote by Eppicurt

Set everything to 12 o'clock.

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

Will buy guitars & guitar parts
PM me for info
Yeah I feel you guys. I could work on technique. I mean, I've found a few spots that I can get pretty decent pinch harmonics but it seems like they're either really low or way too high. Hard to explain. And it's only on the low E (I have it tuned to C) string. I can do them fine anywhere else. When I do it on the low string they just don't seem like they really pop.
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Yeah I feel you guys. I could work on technique. I mean, I've found a few spots that I can get pretty decent pinch harmonics but it seems like they're either really low or way too high. Hard to explain. And it's only on the low E (I have it tuned to C) string. I can do them fine anywhere else. When I do it on the low string they just don't seem like they really pop.

Oh..if its only on the lowest string...there's a really easy way to hit the typically riff harmonic on the 3rd fret.... (ala BLS..Killswitch Engaged...)

Simply bend a natural harmonic...and add vibrato.

Pick the string...and then a split second later...
bend it in a lateral motion. You should make contact with the string as soon as the pick leaves it.

Do not press down on the string at all.

place your finger on the string ...not on top..but on the edge as if you were going to tap the side of the neck. Bend the string in a sweeping motion. It should move just like a pendulum.

you should hear a really high pitched squeal..similar to a whammy...
Once you get good at that...just add vibrato.

Requires no special picking teknik whatsoever...

It is kind of a one trick pony...but it will get you by for a while.
Its a beast of a harmonic though.

It's unconventional as hell.....Im prepared for the flaming...but it really does work.
That will get you by until you master the pinch.
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Apr 12, 2011,
Think of the lowest string as a 3 dimensional rectangle...and you are looking down on it.

The red is where players typically press down on the string....

You are going to need to make contact with the string on the green edge
bend and vibrato without making contact with the fret to get the note to ring out.

After the harmonic is activated..it doesnt matter if the string makes contact with the fret anymore....
Attachments:
string.jpg
Quote by Washburnd Fretz

ok ill agree and disagree with this. it may be the valve king holding you back a bit, but you can get pinch harmonics out of an SS amp all day if you know what youre doing. i know i can with a tele with stock SC pickups and a spider III (even without overkill amounts of gain). with EMGs my experience is that its even easier than SCs

but over the weekend i was playing a gibson explorer through a VK stack and had a hard time getting pinch harmonics out of it. may have been the amp may have been the guitar. but i deff agree that distortion channel+actives+OD will pretty much kill dynamics.
Quote by Seanthesheep
ok ill agree and disagree with this. it may be the valve king holding you back a bit, but you can get pinch harmonics out of an SS amp all day if you know what youre doing. i know i can with a tele with stock SC pickups and a spider III (even without overkill amounts of gain). with EMGs my experience is that its even easier than SCs

but over the weekend i was playing a gibson explorer through a VK stack and had a hard time getting pinch harmonics out of it. may have been the amp may have been the guitar. but i deff agree that distortion channel+actives+OD will pretty much kill dynamics.

who needs dynamics if youre playing metal?

but seriously, to me the guitar makes more of a difference than the amp as far as pinch harmonics. On some guitars it seems like they just fly off the strings and some guitars you really have to work to get pinches outta them
I hate my sig
Quote by hendrixism
it's all just technique brah

this ^

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
What I have found is that certain guitars get pinch harmonics easier than others. For example my Humbucker loaded strat spits out pinch harmonics way easier than my Ibanez SZ.
If your strings are rattling against the frets even just the slightest bit then your pinches will sometimes die out almost instantaneously for certain "nodes". Could be your problem.
Post some clips.

I'm still saying it's technique. Can you do them without plugging into your amp?
PM to contact me -- For Sale:
ESP X-Tone series hard case
Big Muff Pi
MXR 10 Band EQ (maybe)
Boss RV-3
Meh. I had blackouts in my guitars and pinches were a little difficult before I got used to it, now I'm back to emgs and the harmonics scream. Its mostly technique and knowing the sweet spot for pinches, because it varies from pickup to pickup.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by Pikka Bird
If your strings are rattling against the frets even just the slightest bit then your pinches will sometimes die out almost instantaneously for certain "nodes". Could be your problem.

Now that I think about it, the low string does rattle. I bet that has something to do with it. And really, honestly, my technique is fine. On my Ibanez I can get them every time and I can still get them about 80% of the time on this guitar but they just don't sound as good.

I'm gonna try to slightly raise the action and replace my .10s with .11s. Is it ok to just raise the action on one side?
I hate my sig
Page 1 of 2