Hi,
This is my first time posting.

Basically, what key (or keys) is John Mayer's In Repair in?

The chords go A//G//D//// which would make me believe that it would be in Bmin(Dmaj). However, on the guitarpro version, it has the vocal melody in the key of F#min(Amaj). Which is it? or is it both?

Then for the solo, I realize there is a key change and the chords are D//C//G////
The first few riffs of the solo want to make me think that it is in Bmin; however when it speeds up, it seems like it is in Dmin. Which is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho6pqXrFFLM
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/j/john_mayer/in_repair_tab.htm
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/j/john_mayer/in_repair_guitar_pro.htm

Thank you so much! I'm just insanely curious as I cannot figure this out.
Pretty sure its in A

You don't have to follow the exact chords that are in the key, it is about where the resolve is

I think lots of songs switch between their relative major/minor in places, ie the verse may be resolving to the A major, but chorus could be resolving to F#m

Not a huge theory guy, know very limited, but I think the chorus may be in F#m while the verse is in A major

I'm not 100% certain but I think that Kansas' dust in the wind is kind of similar to that (not the song but they way they use the key, except that song is in C)
Ok I understand how it could be the relative major/minor but how does he get away with changing the key to something that isn't the relative major/minor? Like in the solo when it goes from Bmin(Dmaj) to Dmin(Fmaj) and the chords stay the same (there's no noticeable key change).

I don't know a ton of theory but is it possible that the chord progression of D//C//G//// fits both into Bmin and Dmin? Therefore the key is somewhat ambiguous and he can use both of them...that is just my guess.
The A G D part is in A.

The Bm E turnaround is also in A.

So is the F#m Bm E part.

The F Bb A part is in D minor, which then switches to D major for the D C G part for the solo.

If I'm missing something, I'm sorry, but I'm running late to get somewhere.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
The A G D part is in A.

The Bm E turnaround is also in A.

So is the F#m Bm E part.

The F Bb A part is in D minor, which then switches to D major for the D C G part for the solo.

If I'm missing something, I'm sorry, but I'm running late to get somewhere.

I always thought it was A mixolydian Why am I wrong?
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I have no idea what song this is (not a John Mayer fan) but from what is said here A mixolydian would be right.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Quote by Venice King
I always thought it was A mixolydian Why am I wrong?

Quote by rawkandrowl
I have no idea what song this is (not a John Mayer fan) but from what is said here A mixolydian would be right.

The reason this song is not in A mixolydian is because it is not a modal song. Whilst something like an A - G vamp more strongly suggests A mixolydian, but when you employ all the other chords that the song uses, it creates a very strong resolution to A major, which is in fact the key (with the exception of a short key change in this particular song). Where you have a "key", you cannot have a "mode".

So where does the G chord come from? It's borrowed from the parallel minor (A minor).

To make things even more confusing, as the G note is not in the A major scale, so it's wise to flatten the 7th (G#) when playing over this chord. When you use the A major scale with a flattened 7th, the resulting notes are the same as those contained in *drum roll* the A mixolydian scale. This is a good example of using modes in a tonal setting to visualise accidentals over out-of-key chords.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud