Hello again

Im looking at these guitars and have some questions.

F-350 http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-standard-deluxe/f-350.html
Love the body, I hear the Active 81/85 is a good combo. But the fret inlays IMHO suck.
Also a little more than the schecter Damien.

Schecter Damien
http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Guitar/Damien-Riot-FR.aspx
http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Guitar/Damien-6-FR.aspx
Body is nice also, EMG Passive H4/ H4A , fret inleys are awesome (Bats)

I like to play alot of different stuff. But mainly want it to do best with music from bands like Metallica , Iron Maiden , Nightwish , Children of Bodom , Battlelore , Arch Enemy , Amon Amarth stuff like that.

I hear people saying passive come second to actives but I don't know the "whole" truth, only from what I skimmed from the internet.

The one band I mentioned Children of Bodom , the one guitarist Alex Lahio uses a single Passive EMG HZes and the distortion/sound sounds nice to me. Then again mabey someone could explain in detail.

Please Im sticking with EMG , so if you could help me learn about the differences and give me advise about with pickups from EMG would help me get the sound for those bands Iv'e mentioned but not limit the pickups to just playing that genre.

As for my last thread I found some sweet deals and to give you an idea of equipment im using heres what Iv'e found. Boss GT-10 for $300 and a Metal Muff Top Boost for $50 .

Im playing thru head phones until I 'regroup' my money. Then time for the last piece of the puzzle, the AMP.

Sorry for the long post, I think Iv'e kept it clean enuff to read easy.

Thanks again,
DamianJP
that F-350 looks really sweet, i would take it over the schecters, and i can vouch for the emg 81/85 combo by saying they're amazing (for me) and really deliver all the palm muting chugging and creamy solo tone i want. the great thing about EMG's (again, i think) is that they have been used for years by a lot of the bands you listen, so you can easily get close to their tone (with the right amp ofcourse) with a bit of tweaking. schecter just doesnt float my boat, havnt played any that just dazzled me, but ltd's have
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Go for the F-350
Mahogany body to Schecters Basswood.
Active EMG's to Schecters Passives.
NECKTHROUGH CONSTRUCTION to Schecters Bolt On.

Many plus points for the F-350. But ofcourse the F-350 is bound to be much more expensive.
But if you've got the money go for it. This coming from a guy who owns a Schecter Damien V-FR (Not to say it is a bad guitar, pretty sweet for the price tbh. Neck Pickup sounds beautiful, satin finish owns, Inlays are sex. And well I was looking for a V shaped guitar which had good specifications, but didnt have too much money, and I found the perfect guitar for its price.)
So if money is not a problem: ESP F-350.
If you are low on money: Schecter Riot/Damien.
Gear :
Schecter Damien V-FR
Ibanez V70
Line 6 Spider III 15
Quote by Hanato
New BC Rich Guitar ?!
Why would you want a guitar that similtanously scratchs your arse, picks your nose and kills the guy next to you

Child Molester

|

|

|

|

V
Quote by jrayz13
Go for the F-350
Mahogany body to Schecters Basswood.
Active EMG's to Schecters Passives.
NECKTHROUGH CONSTRUCTION to Schecters Bolt On.

Many plus points for the F-350. But ofcourse the F-350 is bound to be much more expensive.
But if you've got the money go for it. This coming from a guy who owns a Schecter Damien V-FR (Not to say it is a bad guitar, pretty sweet for the price tbh. Neck Pickup sounds beautiful, satin finish owns, Inlays are sex. And well I was looking for a V shaped guitar which had good specifications, but didnt have too much money, and I found the perfect guitar for its price.)
So if money is not a problem: ESP F-350.
If you are low on money: Schecter Riot/Damien.

now hold up there. see for that price range, basswood doesnt really seem like a negative. its simply a different tone wood. not as warm as mohagany but still a decent mix of bright and warm. emg's though are metal machines. also regarding the neck construction, neck through, again, isnt better...its a preference. im acustom to bolt on's and i find other uncomfortable.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Basswood is not a bad wood. Look at Ibanez, they use basswood very commonly. Not all basswood is cheap crappy wood.

I mostly prefer the basswood of my RG to the mahogany of my Schecter. So,
Hey guys THANKS!

Well if most of its prefrence, Im gonna spend awhile at guitar center/ sam ash and play them to start getting an idea what is what.

Well whats up with the 81/85 vs the H4/H4A? I know active and passive but whats the rest of the 'story'?

I definitely choose funtion over form, but I love the flat black paint / bats inlays. I know that shouldn't guide me in choosing but It was definitely turning my attention. And I hate to get the Damien and have to rip out brand new pick ups and spend close to $200 on the 81/85 combo.

That being said, has anyone tried to have one passive and one active mixed in? Just curios what different sounds you could get mix and matching different stuff.

BTW snagged the GT-10, and I really like it. Only have about and 1 hour of playing with it but it's real cool. Layed down a nice rhythm on the loop mode and sliced it with a lead, man all I could do was smile. And this was on a Fender Starcaster made in china, that pedal really woke that guitar up. I feel like putting in some better pick ups in that guitar and locking tuners to help with getting out of tune when I really jam. What pick ups would fit that starcaster if I decide to spruce it up when I recoup some money.

Again thank you for answering my endless questions about all this stuff. But it all priceless info really. Learning alot in the past week between my own research and this forum.

Thank You,
DamianJP
Quote by DamianJP
Hey guys THANKS!

Well if most of its prefrence, Im gonna spend awhile at guitar center/ sam ash and play them to start getting an idea what is what.

Well whats up with the 81/85 vs the H4/H4A? I know active and passive but whats the rest of the 'story'?

I definitely choose funtion over form, but I love the flat black paint / bats inlays. I know that shouldn't guide me in choosing but It was definitely turning my attention. And I hate to get the Damien and have to rip out brand new pick ups and spend close to $200 on the 81/85 combo.

That being said, has anyone tried to have one passive and one active mixed in? Just curios what different sounds you could get mix and matching different stuff.

BTW snagged the GT-10, and I really like it. Only have about and 1 hour of playing with it but it's real cool. Layed down a nice rhythm on the loop mode and sliced it with a lead, man all I could do was smile. And this was on a Fender Starcaster made in china, that pedal really woke that guitar up. I feel like putting in some better pick ups in that guitar and locking tuners to help with getting out of tune when I really jam. What pick ups would fit that starcaster if I decide to spruce it up when I recoup some money.

Again thank you for answering my endless questions about all this stuff. But it all priceless info really. Learning alot in the past week between my own research and this forum.

Thank You,
DamianJP

haha hey man glad your enjoying with your search. but in this scenario, i think the ltd is your better choice, i mean thats based upon my opinion...i think its a great variation of a superstrat shape. you wont be dissapointed with the emg's (as i said before). gives you that tight palm muting sound, nice mids, and decently versatile, going against popular belief. i play funk and classic rock (and metal ofcourse) with mine and it just sounds great.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Last edited by EspTro at Apr 12, 2011,