Hey everyone this is my first post on ultimate guitar and I need your shredding wisdom! I cant play "normal". I can't write anything in 4/4 and if I do its an accident and I wouldnt know it. I think every riff is in a different time sig but Im not sure and my variations of a riff never come out the same length. This is frustrating to anyone I play with! I just keep adding notes untill the riff sounds complete. It sounds good but throws everyone off. Also I have trouble keeping time during rests, especially long ones and when playing without drums or metrenome. Anyone have this problem or have ideas on how to fix this?!?
Stop doing it then, and start listening properly.

The only reason things happen on your guitar is because you've done them, stuff doesn't happen by "accident". What you're referring to is "making mistakes", and that happens when you aren't paying attention, don't know the song well enough, haven't practiced the song enough, haven't been practicing properly or simply when you try to play things that are much too difficult for you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Wow dude...really? What a warm welcome. The truth is Im not a bad player. In fact I rarely meet anyone who can outplay me, at least around here. But thats not my point at all. I simply want advise on time signatures and how to know which one your playing in.
The only thing one can recommend to you is just work with a metronome to help firm up your sense of time. Btw, your malady isn't THAT uncommon and is why when bands get signed the producer usually has them playing to a click track in order to shore up the rhythmic consistency of a song. http://www.metronomeonline.com

You've heard the Pretenders, right? Chrissy has a somewhat unconventional sense of time, too, which is why a fair amount of their material is in odd time signatures. So you can make your sensibility work for you if you write your own songs. Obviously, the conflict arises when doing other's tunes. Just work at it and also explore the idea of perhaps just doing your own thing.
Quote by Kelin
Wow dude...really? What a warm welcome. The truth is Im not a bad player. In fact I rarely meet anyone who can outplay me, at least around here. But thats not my point at all. I simply want advise on time signatures and how to know which one your playing in.

Well your problems keeping time without a metronome would be the same for most people, no matter how good we think we are we're never going to be as good as a machine when it comes to keeping a beat, and if there's nothing there to follow like a long rest then it's practically impossible.

As far as 4/4 goes all you really need to do is know how to count to 4 - folllow the beat, and make sure whatever you're playing fits in those 4 beat bars. Adding notes isn't necessarily going to cause a problem as long as you make everything fit, either by shortening some notes or shunting them accross to the next bar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Kelin

sorry dude but I can't classify someone who can't keep time and can't play in 4/4 a good musician by any stretch of the means, since they are about tentimes more important than shredding when it comes to writing music... just sayin
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.