Basic premise: I am thinking about moving to Vancouver with a buddy of mine. I speak French and English, so I think I'd be okay there communications-wise. Any tips or thoughts on the matter? Drawn-out, optional story below.

Basically, I'm stuck in Texas. I've lived here since I was 3 (I'll be 20 in November). I've always hated it, ranging from the heat and environment to the politics and people. I've been looking around at places that seem like they might be better suited for someone like myself. For example, I like water/rain (first rain tonight in about a month in DFW), trees (DFW is home to a large amount of glorified twigs), mountains, and cool/cold weather (it was over 80 Fahrenheit before April even started here). I've looked at the northwest and northeast US from North California up and from Maryland up. I recently heard from someone that I might consider Vancouver. I plan on taking a road trip with that friend sometime soon to see for myself, but I just wanted to get a more personal input than Wikipedia can offer me. The things I want to know about include things like general tips on moving to a foreign country, things about Canada in general, and experiences with Vancouver specifically.
Quote by Lots O' FX
There's a guy named, I shit you not, Hunter Goldhammer. I have never met him, I only heard his name over the PA, but I assume he's a dwarf paladin.

Quote by skwelcher
I'm like the real life version of the socially awkward penguin.
First thing's first: nobody here speaks French.

If you like rain, then you will like Vancouver. Vancouver is exceptional for people who like rain.

Vancouver has a quite a bit of trees. Lots of green plants because it's usually above 0.
And that's another thing, get used to celcius.

Booze here is expensive. So is food. So is tobacco. Pot is real cheap though. You're gonna want to live on the East side if you want to avoid ridiculous rent. Cool neighbourhoods are Commercial Drive, Fraser, and Main. There's some pretty cool beaches, and one very awesome beach. The nightlife is not the best. Street meat is expensive, but delicious.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by Vornik

If you like rain, then you will like Vancouver. Vancouver is exceptional for people who like rain.

Vancouver has a quite a bit of trees. Lots of green plants because it's usually above 0.

Booze here is expensive. So is food. So is tobacco. Pot is real cheap though. You're gonna want to live on the East side if you want to avoid ridiculous rent. Cool neighbourhoods are Commercial Drive, Fraser, and Main. There's some pretty cool beaches, and one very awesome beach. The nightlife is not the best. Street meat is expensive, but delicious.

This sums it up well.

Be prepared to deal with a very diverse society (lots of Asians, East Indians, and Aboriginals in Vancouver).
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by Vornik

Everything this guy is saying is truth. Especially if that awesome beach is Wreck Beach. This city is great.

edit: Also, if it's of any reassurance, almost everyone I've met from outside of Vancouver has never looked back after relocating here. I personally moved here at a really young age so I can't comment on that, but it's definitely a trend I notice with others.
My cousins went on holiday to Vancouver one year, came back from holiday and immediately set about relocating there. They used to live in Scotland.
Fuck Vancouver, come to Melbourne if that's what you want.

But you know, Canada is awesome as well so I'll let you off.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
Fuck Vancouver, come to Melbourne if that's what you want.

But you know, Canada is awesome as well so I'll let you off.

Then why are there so many god damned Australians out here?
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Thanks guys. I've been doing some research on what a permanent move would entail -- it'll take several years given my lack of NOC-qualifying experience. But if it's as promising as it looks, it'll be well worth it.
Quote by Lots O' FX
There's a guy named, I shit you not, Hunter Goldhammer. I have never met him, I only heard his name over the PA, but I assume he's a dwarf paladin.

Quote by skwelcher
I'm like the real life version of the socially awkward penguin.
Quote by Vornik

Because they're probably all from Perth

There are Australians everywhere, there's loads in London even though the UK is so depressing in comparison. People always like travelling.

All I'm saying is the guy said he wanted cool weather, Melbourne is cool (until the summer), we've got mountains, beaches and forests etc.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I wouldn`t do it.

All up and down the pacific west coast, you will see in the coming years, a staggering increase in cancers, deformities and radiation poisoning.

Unlike Vegas, what happens in Japan... doesn`t stay in Japan and kinda ****s everybody.

Just sayin`.
Quote by hippogasmo
Basic premise: I am thinking about moving to Vancouver with a buddy of mine. I speak French and English, so I think I'd be okay there communications-wise.

I stopped reading here. If you can't get a handle on something as basic as the languages spoken in the area I'm not taking you seriously.
Quote by Vornik

Because we took their jobs.

On that note, I'm thinking about moving to Canada after I finish college but I have no idea exactly where to go or what to do, so this thread is relevant to my interests.