Hey dudes my names Wayne Hudspath and I put this screaming tutorial together a week ago and figured metalheads around here might find this usefull.

Contents:
1.Theory
2.Warm - Ups
3. Traditional Growls
4. Traditional Screams
5. Melodic Growls
6. Melodic Screams / Obscure Styles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM4KVhXV3ao

Enjoy!
Last edited by whudspath at Apr 11, 2011,
Checked out your shit and it's pretty amazing, thanks a lot for sharing this, I've been looking to improve my growls/screams.
Loved your At the Gates and CoB vocal covers.
This is the best goddamned video that I've seen. Seriously... this is awesome. This will defo. help me do backing vocals for my band while on guitar!
Extremely helpful. Many. many thanks for this!
-Marar33.
Hey it's no problem. It's kind of drawn out at points but I just wanted to really get my ideas across in a way that anyone can understand. Watching Melissa Cross (zen of screaming) is like taking a damn vocabulary test. If you've ever seen it you'll know exactly what I mean haha.

Thanks for the kind words guys.
This is honestly a pretty awesome video. I just have a question. I'm working on the traditional death growl and I think it sounds pretty decent. I know you mentioned not to try and sound like anyone in particular, but your vocals sounded much higher in pitch than mine. I'm a bit closer to something like Chris Barnes Tomb of the Mutilated era (although maybe not quite as low).

Am I do something different, or is it just the differences in our voices?
Quote by Spiner202
This is honestly a pretty awesome video. I just have a question. I'm working on the traditional death growl and I think it sounds pretty decent. I know you mentioned not to try and sound like anyone in particular, but your vocals sounded much higher in pitch than mine. I'm a bit closer to something like Chris Barnes Tomb of the Mutilated era (although maybe not quite as low).

Pardon the hijack, but each person's voice ranges in timbre and pitch so you're not going to sound exactly like somebody you've heard. So, yes, it is the difference in voices. I myself can't get the guttural growl because of a range of issues with my throat and gag reflex. With practice you may be able to go higher, but there will be a point where you will plateau. It's the same with conventional singing and with normal talking as well.

EDIT: I was thoroughy impressed by this entire video. Well done indeed man. Best so far. I was thinking of buying Zen, just to see what the whole deal with it is, but I don't know anymore. I didn't learn anything from your video that I didn't already know aside from warm ups (but those are different for everybody anyways), but I feel like everybody could learn something from here. An extremely good job man. Passing it around to all of my friends dabbling in vocals.
Last edited by Hojunhu at Apr 12, 2011,
Quote by Hojunhu
Pardon the hijack, but each person's voice ranges in timbre and pitch so you're not going to sound exactly like somebody you've heard. So, yes, it is the difference in voices. I myself can't get the guttural growl because of a range of issues with my throat and gag reflex. With practice you may be able to go higher, but there will be a point where you will plateau. It's the same with conventional singing and with normal talking as well.

Thanks for the reply. I've found if I open my mouth a little wider and put less strain on my throat, the pitch isn't quite so gutteral.

I'm not sure if that's the right description of what I'm doing, but I manage to produce a different pitch.
This is really good! Your speaking voice makes me smile dunno why haha. How could I go about downloading this?
Quote by merriman44
I've passed it to my bandmates already. You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

Glad to be of assistance bud there needs to be more metal! Hope you're vocalist digs it.

Quote by Spiner202

Well man from what it sounds like your probably performing a metal grunt. A grunt is a growl with no usage of your chords what so ever. You are probably using your diaphragm correctly if your are doing a grunt. It's a matter of using your diaphragm and your vocal chords together at a controlled and safe level for you.

If you wanna find your own growl.. your pretty much just gunna have to let lose and just get angry. When your mad, don't use your upper part of your voice like girls do to scream You have to try using your lower chords (deeper voice) and just straight up growl with your diaphragm. Don't scream to the point where your brain is gunna explode, but don't be afraid to reach high volumes.

You might strain your throat, but one time isn't gunna kill ya. If in that attempt of going crazy you find your pitch, harness it. Remember how you did it, and tweak it to your level.

You can hear the transition I have between my regular voice to my growl. I am using my chords slightly, but I am able to keep them protected through proper practicing and lots of **** ups haha. Hope this helped you out a little man.

Quote by ReynboLightning
This is really good! Your speaking voice makes me smile dunno why haha. How could I go about downloading this?

Right here buddy I appreciate the interest:
http://keepvid.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhM4KVhXV3ao

Thanks all.
Last edited by whudspath at Apr 14, 2011,
Quote by whudspath

Well man from what it sounds like your probably performing a metal grunt. A grunt is a growl with no usage of your chords what so ever. You are probably using your diaphragm correctly if your are doing a grunt. It's a matter of using your diaphragm and your vocal chords together at a controlled and safe level for you.

If you wanna find your own growl.. your pretty much just gunna have to let lose and just get angry. When your mad, don't use your upper part of your voice like girls do to scream You have to try using your lower chords (deeper voice) and just straight up growl with your diaphragm. Don't scream to the point where your brain is gunna explode, but don't be afraid to reach high volumes.

You might strain your throat, but one time isn't gunna kill ya. If in that attempt of going crazy you find your pitch, harness it. Remember how you did it, and tweak it to your level.

You can hear the transition I have between my regular voice to my growl. I am using my chords slightly, but I am able to keep them protected through proper practicing and lots of **** ups haha. Hope this helped you out a little man.

Thanks for the reply. Is there anything wrong with doing a grunt? I like the sound. I have found that I can get more of a growl going if I "project" my voice a little more when I try the grunt. I'll still work on what you suggestion though!
I skipped around parts of it, but good job man. It seems like a pretty good introduction to the whole thing. Alot better then melissa crosses DVD on how to do fry (JK GUYS THERES ONLY WARMUPS ON THE DVD ANYWAY)

But yeah, it's the most accurate of all the videos I've ever seen on youtube. It gets my stamp of approval hahaha.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Whudspath, I am the vocalist for the band. I'm whipping the rest of the guys into shape for some anthemic brutality lol. Is Nightshade coming to Columbus on the 30th? There is a band called night shade from France playing in town and wondered if it was you guys.

If so, I'll be there to support man.
Quote by merriman44
Whudspath, I am the vocalist for the band. I'm whipping the rest of the guys into shape for some anthemic brutality lol. Is Nightshade coming to Columbus on the 30th? There is a band called night shade from France playing in town and wondered if it was you guys.

If so, I'll be there to support man.

Yup the band was originally pure french but now it consists of mostly american members. Yeah dude im really looking forward to the columbus show there should be a whole lot of bands playing that night, we are doing a three month usa tour with hester prynne.
Last edited by whudspath at Apr 18, 2011,