Recently I've wanted to spice up my tone a little bit, be it with some effects pedals or new pickups. Any general pedals, or upgrades you suggest that could improve my sound, or add some cool flare to it? I play a lot of Alternative Rock/classic and modern Metal/Post-Hardcore, use more distortion than I do clean.

Amps:

Mesa Rect-O-Verb head
Blackheart 4x12 cabinet

Guitar:
Ibanez SZ520QM, stock pickups.

Pedals:

Boss Noise Supressor
Ibanez DE-7 delay pedal
Original Crybaby Wah

I do plan to get a backup guitar, most likely an Agile. And also a floor pedal of some sorts.

I'm on a budget of a couple of hundred dollars for now. Times are a bit rough so I can't do many additions probably.
changing the pickups in your Ibanez would be the biggest improvement you could do on your budget, buy a BareKnuckle pickup for the bridge and neck
I'd go with pickups too. They'd make a big difference.

How long have you had your amp? If it needs re-tubed, that can add some tone. I re-tubed my Rectifier and it made it pretty big difference. Gave it more tone and sizzle. I'd go with pickups before that though. You can get a fantastic tone from the Mesa without re-tubing..

I'm not a huge effects guy, you have the two effects I use the vast majority of the time. other effects are more novelty and things to prevent boredom for me. Although I do run two delay pedals and you can do some pretty interesting things with a pair of those going..
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Last edited by 3074326 at Apr 11, 2011,
x3 on the pickups.
My Ibanez S570DXQM's pickups were a bit weak IMO (Infinity's).
I bought some Dimarzio Evolution pickups and it really made a HUGE difference.
Something Like $160 for all 3 I think (Bridge and Neck from GC and the middle from Amazon).
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 11, 2011,
I actually threw in some nice JJ's in the Mesa last week. Phenomenal

I was also thinking pickups. Would love to get some more suggestions on what pups might be good.
I do mainly classic rock and blues.
The Evolution pups and S570 are not just for shred.
Running that setup through a Vox AC30 sounds awesome to my ears.

Edit:
And JJ tubes as well.
I'm madly in love with my amp
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 11, 2011,
Quote by Supafly1824
I actually threw in some nice JJ's in the Mesa last week. Phenomenal

I was also thinking pickups. Would love to get some more suggestions on what pups might be good.

I have a Duncan JB in the bridge and Duncan SH-1 '59 in the neck. I also use an Ibanez through a Mesa Rectifier. Couldn't be happier with my tone. I play similar styles of music. Some might want a little hotter pickups, but mine work great for me.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
I've got a Rect-O-Verb and Blackheart cabs too. I have two 1x12's though. It's a pretty sweet combination. Have you thought about getting the Line 6 MM4 (the big blue box haha), it's got tonnes of modulation effects in it and they're all really cool. Will probs work well for solos, lead bits or even clean sections.
Amps:
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb
Laney VC15
Cabs:
2x Blackheart 1x12
Guitar:
PRS SE Soapbar II
Pedalboard:
Line 6 M13, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Digitech Synth Wah, Boss SD-1, Biyang OD-8 (Tubescreamer Clone)
Band:
Fixtures <<Click Here