Page 1 of 2
Post your #1 favorite guitar that you own, and tell us why!

I only have 1!! (Electric)

Why I love my guitar...

Les Paul Special SL

My guitar was born in Feb of 2002.

1 - It was cheep, paid $599.99 for it new, from Guitar Center on 09/09/2002 for Guitar and Gig Bag.

2 - It's lighter than most Les Pauls due to it being a flat top slaber.

3 - I am a firm believer that a thin finish on guitars, helps to make them resonate more, and sound better.

With this thin, durable, Poly finish, I can feel the guitar vibrate in my hands when played, way more than I can on most guitars...

From Gibson:

"Les Paul Special SL, The Paul SL: New traditions born for a new millennium

The velvet, luxurious lacquer finish of Les Paul guitars has been a tradition since the original goldtop in 1952. Now for something different--the new The Paul SL and Les Paul Special SL featuring a millennium-ready "UV-cured" finish. To come straight to the point, the "UV-cured" finish is a soft polyester finish, traditionally considered a no-no for Gibson (though quite common throughout the guitar industry). In reality, Gibson has used poly finishes from time to time. Some of the custom finishes on Firebirds from the '60s were poly, and Gibson Les Paul basses have had poly finishes for the past few years. So the "new" finish is nothing new.

The "SL" finish enables Gibson to make the two new Les Paul models more accessible--that is, less expensive. SL means "sans lacquer" (without lacquer).

"The UV-cured poly finishes are essentially a base coat and clear coat. They are much like automotive finishes designed for wood," project engineer Kevin Brown says "We experimented for months with the mix of solvents to find the finish with the softest, most natural feel, the lowest environmental emissions and best look."

The SL finish also reduces the finishing process from six to eleven days for lacquer, down to five hours from white wood to a final dry finish. This significant time savings allows Gibson to price the two models under $1,000. "There are no lacquer guitars produced anywhere in that price range," Brown says. The UV-cured, soft poly finishes also require little or no buffing.

UV means "ultraviolet" light. After the guitars are sprayed with coats of sealer, they are dried and cured in the ultra violet light room. "The UV lights start a chemical reaction in the sealer that quickly dries the instrument without streaking or imperfections," Brown continues.

The fifteen step finishing process includes:

1. Prep white wood guitars removing excess filler and cleaning side dot and nut.
2. Spray vinyl size on guitar and paint peg head face black.
3. Apply "Gibson" and "Les Paul" product decals.
4. Spray UV sealer coat and flash in light booth for 10 minutes.
5. Spray second sealer coat.
6. Cure with UV light.
7. Sand so no grain lines or pits show.
8. Spray color and flash for minimum of 15 minutes
9. Spray sealer coat and flash for 20 minutes
10. Cure with UV light.
11. Scuff sand entire guitar lightly with the grain.
12. Spray top coat and flash.
13. Repeat top coat and flash two times.
14. Cure with UV light.
15. Send for final scuff sanding.

For the player, the poly finish is more durable and requires less care. "Lacquer finishes are pourous," Brown explains. "The poly is virtually impervious. There's no cracking or discoloration over time. Minor repairs are easy."

Per Gibson, the poly finish is more durable too...
That's A Win-Win to me, getting better tone from being thin, and at the same time, being longer lasting and virtually impervious.

4 - I am having my Lollar Imperials installed with coil tapping ability, and series/parallel Humbucker switching via push/pull pots.

5 - It's getting a new Callaham Bridge for better tone and sustain, installed an slotted by a pro, just for my guitar.

6 - It has the Gibson TP-6 Stopbar, for added sustain. I simply love the micro finger tuners on the thing too. Much easier and more precise than standard tuners.

7 - It has Planet Waves locking tuners on the headstock.
Much nicer than the stockers in my opinion...

You just got to love the Specials!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfs5QdWOG8U
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Apr 11, 2011,

My Fender TelEMG.

Paid $400 for the guitar and $50 for the bridge and pickup.

Relicing was priceless.
mojostompboxes.com
My Fender Telecaster Deluxe from 2007... (3 colour sunburst/Maple fretboard)

Why? Because it is awesome in every way I want it to be
Ibanez S570DXQM with Dimarzio Evolution pups.
I have 4 other guitars but this one is by far my favorite.
(Epi LP, Gibson Explorer, MIM Strat, Samick bass, Yamaha 12 string acoustic and some no name nylon string 3/4 sized).

Paid $650 with case
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 11, 2011,
Quote by BurstBucker Pro
Nice guitar Tim

fix'd.

most people give me hate for the EMG.

i give them a giant fist to the back of the head when they walk away in disgust.
mojostompboxes.com
I would, but I have yet to make a NGD for mine so I'll hold off.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
OP: I have that same guitar with the black finish. Those models are criminally underrated. They sound so damn good, and play so damn well.

That being said, it's not my go-to guitar.

Ibanez RGT220H

It simply plays better than any other guitar I've ever played. I have my ideal combination of pickups in it (Duncan JB in bridge and SH-1 in neck). Its tone is perfect.

Maybe the best part about it is that I bought it for $420 used. I had to replace the truss rod cover and pickups (it had Dimarzios, but I like Duncans more). Solid deal, eh?

Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Last edited by 3074326 at Apr 11, 2011,
OP: I have that same guitar with the black finish. Those models are criminally underrated. They sound so damn good, and play so damn well.

That being said, it's not my go-to guitar.

Ibanez RGT220H

It simply plays better than any other guitar I've ever played. I have my ideal combination of pickups in it (Duncan JB in bridge and SH-1 in neck). It's tone is perfect.

Maybe the best part about it is that I bought it for $420 used. I had to replace the truss rod cover and pickups (it had Dimarzios, but I like Duncans more). Solid deal, eh?

Thanks... They are criminally underrated.

That is indeed a good price for your Ibanez RGT220H...

My RR3 for several reasons:

1: Awesome cheap deal, it was advertised on ebay for $750 as an RX10D. (RRP in aust $1199) but as you can see it's an RR3 (RRP in aust $1799)

2: Made in Japan = Win

3: It looks like sex. Seriously. Check right now. If you looked at the pic you will have a raging boner.

4: Slickest, smoothest, most buttery neck and fingerboard I've ever had the pleasure of playing. The neck profile is thin but just round enough to be comfortable for someone with giant sasquatch hands like myself and the compound radius on the fingerboard really does make navigating the neck a lot more comfortable.

Once you go Jackson you never go back.

My baby

MIM Rosewood Telecaster. Don't see many of 'em about. I paid £300 including a set of Bareknuckle Yard Birds and a wiring loom from BKP as well. Beyond a bargain.

I do like that Tele of yours though Tim. Doesn't switching between the EMG & the neck?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

my Fender Classic Player 60's Strat. because if just "feels right" it's not the best guitar ever made ever, but you know when you just get that guitar that feels right in your hands, well this is mine.
WAS going to get a MIM std sunburst and throw some texas specials in it, but then seen this beauty for £20 LESS than a standard MIM was. asked why and they said it was because they got it before fender put their prices up so were selling it at the "old price" and i think they replaced the 2-point bridge with a 6-point one. but that doesn't matter to me because it's just gorgeous. and i think the 69 pups sound as good, if not better, than the texas specials i was gonna throw into a MIM strat.
pic:

Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.

My baby. ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM, its called. I call it the "Blue Meanie". Got that scooped PAF sound on a Ash/Flame Maple body, giving me a good rhythm tone and solos like a charm. 27 frets mean you can bend up to A# on standard tuning. Got Original Floyds and I'm thinking of putting a killswitch button for a complete pyro kit.

It also holds a special place in my heart because its my first mid/high end gear. And the effort it took to import it to Australia from Japan. Ended up costing me bout $2500AUD just before the recession hit.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Quote by SimplyBen

I do like that Tele of yours though Tim. Doesn't switching between the EMG & the neck?

thats not a real sentence at all..

i can switch between them yes, never really do though casue its tuned half a step below drop d.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by MonsterOfRock
*27 fret ESP*

You win!

So as to not be spamming, my favourite would probably be my new Schecter C-8 Blackjack.

Gettin' some extended range up in this bitch.

I love it because it's so versatile. There's not really any tuning that this thing can't do.
Not to mention, it's dead sexy and plays like a dream.
Quote by greeny23

My Fender TelEMG.

Relicing was priceless.

Oh god that's sexy.
Quote by greeny23
thats not a real sentence at all..

i can switch between them yes, never really do though casue its tuned half a step below drop d.

*cause volume problems
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

My Chapman Guitars ML1

Really fun guitar to play, has a great feel to the neck (upper fret access is amazing!), killswitch, coil tap, fret inlay looks mint (in my opinion anyway), sounds great but i need to save up for some better pickups. Also it's rather limited edition (Number 260 of 500 ). I just love everything about this guitar.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Last edited by blankoff at Apr 12, 2011,
I see your 27 fret ESP and raise you my 29 fret Gilchrist.

Steve Gilchrist is a reknown arch top mandolin builder. I had him build me this to my design between mandolin runs.
The ebony fingerboard on this is some rare breed that is illegal to import here now, it was some he had left over from his expensive mandolins. Queensland fiddleback red maple wings. Canadian birdseye Rock Maple neck through. Schaller hardware. EMG SA/85. It's built to fit my hand, the back is contoured so it's easy to access all the frets.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band

My MusicMan JP7.
Its got the smoothest, best feeling neck I've ever played, sounds incredible, is built extremely well.
The trem is great, more convenient than a Floyd and stays in tune almost as well.

Oh, and how could you not love the birdseye of this neck?!

2004 Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top

This was my 13th birthday present, it arrived a few weeks after on the 19th September 2005. it cost £310, £10 extra for the vintage sunburst finish
I mainly used it for just playing at home and the occasional jam with my cousin. It's first live appearance was with the school's jazz band at a music evening. Shortly after we were invited to play in front of the school, a crowd of 1700 people. I then went on the music tour to Germany in April 2007 where I got to know the saxophone player very well. He played drums, but after the Germany tour, we decided to put a band together. This became Diversion, a band that I am still very active with.
In July 2007, the band played their first gig and this is the guitar I used. Later that year we recorded an EP. The summer of 2008, we did a tour of Spain with the school and I used this guitar.
In the September 2008, I made my first mod on the guitar. I changed the treble pickup for a Gibson Burstbucker Pro, I couldn't believe the change it made!
The next mod was in September 2010, I changed the rhythm pickup out for a Seymour Duncan Jazz II.
There are so many changes in the guitar, the strap screws kept on coming loose, so I put some wall plugs in the holes and super glued them in. I then put some chunky strap buttons on and screwed them in rock solid.
I have done the Zakk Wylde string wrap-around the bridge for many years and they have made some big grooves in the tail piece.
The pick selector knob broke off last year and I'm used to it not being there now.
I had my college tutor do a good sorting out of the inside wiring, everything is now grounded and shielded nicely.
The volume knob is cracked, but it looks pretty swish as well as numerous dents in the guitar and paint wearing away in many places.

I love this guitar, it just feels great and every guitar I play always gets compared to it.
Quote by greeny23

My Fender TelEMG.

Relicing was priceless.

that a really nice tele shaped guitar.

that neck pup may as well get thrown on the fridge to hold up a grocery list.

it has the sexay going on that's for sure.

Quote by Cathbard
I see your 27 fret ESP and raise you my 29 fret Gilchrist.

cath what is the relationship between abbey and ampeg? is there one? everytime i see your abbey i think it's an old ampeg.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
My wierd no name SG copy.

(dat background )

Alder body (apparently, though my neighbour says it's birch.)
Maple neck
no name pickups
bigsby knock off

So, it's a really cheap guitar. Actually, this is my first (and soon only) guitar. The neck is great, can't really describe it, but it's really nice to play.

Well, it's my #1 guitar since it is my first and it's quite nice. Also I've painted it myself and done a few small modifictions. Uhm.. Yeah.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Awful picture but my god look at it.

G&L Legacy Tribute

The thing is.. well "angelic" is the only world I can use to describe it. It's perfect.
My Agile AL-2000 in Silverburst.

Cause it's the only (Electric) guitar I have.

Pics later. Maybe.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON

Epiphone Les Paul Classic - Made in Korea 2002, Mahogany body and neck. Just a really great guitar to play and was my first proper guitar I bought.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly

These two Gibbys had a shootout at high noon.

The R8 survived.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.

Rickenbacker 620

The only guitar to ever usurp my 335. Its a surprisingly versatile guitar. The "high gain" pickups (in quotations because the term is a bit of a misnomer) are incredible -- they remind me of cooler sounding tele pickups. The cleans are nice and sparkly and the dirt doesn't fart out on me. The neck is also small and fast, yet the guitar doesn't look like a ridiculous shredder. Rics are easily my favorite guitars
^ ouff wish i had a couple grand for one of those
And if I don't see ya, in a long, long while

I'll try to find you

Left of the dial
Quote by gregs1020
cath what is the relationship between abbey and ampeg? is there one? everytime i see your abbey i think it's an old ampeg.

They both start with an A? No connection at all. Abbey is an old Australian amp from Melbourne. It's sort of like, well, imagine an AC30 with 6L6's and throw in an extra 12AX7 switchable boost as a third channel. I always thought it had more of an old Mesa look to it with the short 18" chassis. It actually has quite a compressed Mesa sound to the third channel too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I think it's just how the logo and face plate look the silver on black and being slightly rounded . But now that you've said it looks kinda like an old like a mesa I can not unsee that
And if I don't see ya, in a long, long while

I'll try to find you

Left of the dial
my 1973 gibson SG

photo of it in its case

stock photo from the shop's archives

here's what i like about this guitar:

-the tone. it has a very thick, warm tone which is just hard to describe. it's well balanced, defined, and just very pleasing. it's very articulated and detailed too - you can hear a lot of the body resonance but you can also really hear the strings twang as you pluck them, too. the pickups sound almost as articulated as single coils even though they are moderately high output humbuckers.

-all across the neck it's just so easy to play and so consistent - no dead spots, no buzzing, when the guitar is properly setup it plays absolutely perfectly.

-the volume and tone controls work properly. you can roll down the volume without it sounding too muffled and muddy even though you do lose a little bit of detail in the top end, and i think the tone control filters at a higher cutoff frequency, so even down to 0 you've still got enough mid-range frequencies to cut through the mix and get a "woman tone" that works. i haven't seen many modern guitars that actually have usable volume and tone controls

-it's well balanced, which i would say is mostly down to the extra weight of the bigsby tailpiece.

-the neck isn't stupidly easy to bend back and forth and alter the pitch like it is on a lot of SGs. the 3-piece neck set deeper into the body is a lot more stable than normal. you can't do it by accident to any more of an extent that you can on any other guitar

-It just feels like a solid, dependable guitar. just holding it in your hands you can tell it's a finely crafter, excellent quality guitar.

-The naturally aged look, with the tarnished pickup covers, the age-appropriate checking on the headstock, the cherry red finish that has mostly faded away etc - really adds to the charm and the character of the guitar. i can only ask myself, how many people have owned and played this guitar before me, who were they, and what kind of music did they play?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I dont have a favourite guitar that I own any more

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I love my Eppy SG with Swineshead pick-ups. I was my first proper guitar and has been a dear friend for over 7 years. Now that Swineshead are defunct it should be worth a bit more
Attachments:
8430_270557115433_736355433_9057588_7089196_n.jpg
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by Cathbard
They both start with an A?

I always thought it had more of an old Mesa look to it with the short 18" chassis. It actually has quite a compressed Mesa sound to the third channel too.

yea i see the mesa thing now too. it reminded me of an older svt head.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Let me know if the image doesn't show. My photobucket is acting up.

'03 Fender MIM Strat. I put an American Standard bridge on it, coming soon are some better pickups. It was my first electric, and it's totally different from any MIM I've ever played sound AND feel wise. I must've won the lottery on this one from the factory .

--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Page 1 of 2