I used to be an avid pc gamer, 6 years ago.....
Then I bought an xbox360. Then I got a MacBook.

When I was a pc user I kept up to date with all the newest processors and graphics cards, but now I find myself lost. 6 years is an eternity in computer years. My old gaming rig was top notch with a pentium 3 lol.

My MacBook is really dated and as much as I love Mac, pc gets you more bang for the buck.

Can anyone help me pick out some standard must haves for a gaming pc? Not looking for top of the line but I would like to be able to run Battlefield 3 when it comes out this fall at some decent settings.

Besides 6gb of ram and a 1tb hard drive there seem to be so many processors to choose from now a days, and even more graphics cards. Any help is appreciated.
There's a PC thread, and a Gaming thread.

Take your pick and post there.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Bulletstorm. DOIT. NAO.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by Cyngus
buy an alienware. they are meant for gaming

Don't do this. They're a complete rip off and the customer service a joke. Get one custom built, or custom build yourself. You'll be able to get a computer twice as good as an Alienware for less than half the price.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
the new intel i5 2500 sandy bridge chip is awesome bang for buck

just get that and a big nvidia card and you're pretty much there man and DO NOT skimp on the PSU or I'll slap you. Get a corsair HX series.
Corsair TX series PSU
AMD Phenom II 955 BE
A decent ATX socket AM3 Mobo
4gb DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz
Decent GPU like a 6850 or 6870 for good price/performance ratio
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case is great bang for the buck also
Also get a good aftermarket cooler like a Scythe Mugen 2 or Corsair H70 if you want watercooling.

DON'T BUY A PREBUILT.

This is for a modest-ish budget.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Wait a bit if you can, the new amd bulldozer series is coming out soon at it's going to use the new am3+ boards.
If you can't get what the guy above me said, but get a coolermaster cm690 II instead of the haf if you can.
Quote by Gregoric
Corsair TX series PSU
AMD Phenom II 955 BE
A decent ATX socket AM3 Mobo
4gb DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz
Decent GPU like a 6850 or 6870 for good price/performance ratio
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case is great bang for the buck also
Also get a good aftermarket cooler like a Scythe Mugen 2 or Corsair H70 if you want watercooling.

DON'T BUY A PREBUILT.

This is for a modest-ish budget.

I like everything except the AMD platform

seriously, like the guy above said it may be worth waiting for the bulldozer cpu's but at the moment its still an intel whitewash, has been since the core2duo's came out years ago.