hi guys i was wondering how this shredy guitarist can alt pick super fast and super clean i can alt pick but not like that :/ any ways i have seen before some of u was saying i practice alt picking for 6 hours evry day ... if that will make me play like that i ll do it but the question is what is the exercises that u do in this 6 ! hours thx
... i can do it and i practiced a long time using this i have an acceptable speed ... then do u think that they use chromatics for 6 hours !
Quote by mado-elodie
... i can do it and i practiced a long time using this i have an acceptable speed ... then do u think that they use chromatics for 6 hours !

What are your goals anyway? And what is an "acceptable speed" to you?
What's your metronome set at, and how fast are you playing?

You need to realise that most "virtuosos" have perfected their playing for several years.

Also, practicing the same thing for 6 hours is probably counterproductive since you'll inevitably start making mistakes, and getting bad habits.

Don't practice any one thing for more than 1 hour tops, or until you start losing it ie. starting to play sloppy.
Quote by Shor
What are your goals anyway? And what is an "acceptable speed" to you?
What's your metronome set at, and how fast are you playing?

You need to realize that most "virtuosos" have perfected their playing for several years.

Also, practicing the same thing for 6 hours is probably counterproductive since you'll inevitably start making mistakes, and getting bad habits.

Don't practice any one thing for more than 1 hour tops, or until you start losing it ie. starting to play sloppy.

This x1000
its going to take years to build up perfect tech. so just practice and have fun with what you do!

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
i have no problem when i pick with normal speed i think that my problem is when i pck fast because i use my arm to pick
I think practicing a single thing for more than 10 mins will get you nowhere. All you need to do is take it slow and build up speed over 10-15 mins a day with a metronome making sure you're playing clean as hell. Then it should all just seem natural.

People who practice only shredding for 6 hours a day are normaly the people who cant play rhythm for shit, or just sound pretty boring when they solo because all they can do is wizz up and down the neck.

And remember perfect tech takes years to develope. Be patient and take it easy
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 and Gibson Les Paul Custom is litteraly sex in my ear!!!

"THESE AMPS GO TO 11!!!!!!!!!!"

Quote by MarshallStackLP
I think practicing a single thing for more than 10 mins will get you nowhere.

That's ridiculous. Do you understand the concept of drilling over and over for professional sports teams? We all practice things for more than 10 minutes all the time throughout life each day, not just with guitar playing. To say that more than 10 minutes is excessive is just sad. How long did you practice walking before you could actually walk perfectly? A hell of a lot longer than 10 minutes. Pro basketball players practicing free throws? A lot longer than 10 minutes. Any thing that anyone is good at? Longer than 10 minutes. Hell, 10 minutes and I've barely even warmed up practicing a certain exercise. GG.

Also, your generalized statement about people who practice technique for 6 hours a day being boring or unable to play rhythm is sad as well. You'd be surprised how many people are actually that dedicated, and that in itself doesn't detract from musicality.
Quote by mado-elodie
i have no problem when i pick with normal speed i think that my problem is when i pck fast because i use my arm to pick

yes but if you start slow and build up slowly (1-5 bpm) you will progress faster than trying to push it. just practice at like 50bpm til you can play it perfectly 10-20 times in a row, then bump it up a little and practice till you can do it perfectly 10-20 times... if you mess up you need to start the count over, if you can't get it perfectly more than 5 times after practicing it at that speed for about ten minutes drop your speed back down. also while doing this make sure your picking from the wrist that will cause you to pick from the wrist at higher speeds, and there fore make you more efficient... good luck!

Quote by fixationdarknes

That's ridiculous. Do you understand the concept of drilling over and over for professional sports teams? We all practice things for more than 10 minutes all the time throughout life each day, not just with guitar playing. To say that more than 10 minutes is excessive is just sad. How long did you practice walking before you could actually walk perfectly? A hell of a lot longer than 10 minutes. Pro basketball players practicing free throws? A lot longer than 10 minutes. Any thing that anyone is good at? Longer than 10 minutes. Hell, 10 minutes and I've barely even warmed up practicing a certain exercise. GG.

Also, your generalized statement about people who practice technique for 6 hours a day being boring or unable to play rhythm is sad as well. You'd be surprised how many people are actually that dedicated, and that in itself doesn't detract from musicality.

sports you are developing full body skills, guitar you are developing motor skills, there is a difference after you have passed 10-15minutes of motor skill practices, it is no longer as effevtive, a person that practices ten minutes a day for six days will usually see more improvement at the end of those six days than a person that practiced the same thing for a full hour.

and practicing for more than three hours can do a lot of damage to your wrist, you need to break it up. a bit.

that being said if you do ten minutes on a technique, then play a few songs then do ten more minutes of that, it is much more effective than just practicing that one technique for a straight 30 minutes... you need to give the muscles in your hand time to recover a bit and let the memory set in.

see here in guitar you are trying to build muscle memory, and the muscles in your hands. when it comes to sports you are working on your legs your arms your heart an lungs. your idea of comparing a guitarist to an athlete or learning the guitar to learning to walk is comparing apples to oranges.... when taught to write and type, most people are taught for ten to fifteen minutes a day, and over time the ability develops. these aer things you can compare to learning the guitar since it uses the same muscle sets, unfortunately sports use more muscles and there for require more time a day.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87

sports you are developing full body skills, guitar you are developing motor skills, there is a difference after you have passed 10-15minutes of motor skill practices, it is no longer as effevtive,

Actually, motor skills are embedded all throughout sports. Just because they're moving their body more than guitarists doesn't mean they are using less motor skills. I don't know how to properly shoot a basketball with solid technique. I don't know how to seamlessly skate around on ice at high speeds. Or throw left hooks and uppercuts with maximal force. It wouldn't make a difference if I had strong legs or a strong heart. I can pretend I know how to do these things, as can people with zomgfast guitar playing. But those who are experienced can easily tell apart the good from the bad.

And I get what you're saying that after a while the practice becomes less effective. That's true with everything in life. The law of diminishing returns. However, it's as if you're trying to say a guitarist who practices for 15 minutes a day is going to outlearn a guitarist who practices for hours a day. That simply does not add up. Technique, songs, whatever you wanna call it... there's not always such a fine line between the two. I frequently do both at the same time.

Quote by krypticguitar87

a person that practices ten minutes a day for six days will usually see more improvement at the end of those six days than a person that practiced the same thing for a full hour.

Okay? The guitarist in this example would likely be practicing several hours a day, not just one hour every six days. So, while I agree with your statement, what is the point of saying that?
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Apr 12, 2011,
Quote by fixationdarknes

Some people really have nothing better to do than get larey on the internet... okay.

Im just passing on advice i was given by PROFFESIONAL musicians.

Okay maybe sayin going over 10 mins is stupid was a little of the rocker, 10 mins, 15 mins, 30 mins, that will do you good. But 6 hours non stop isnt.

Let me emphasis proffesional... who are fecking amazing at what they do. Jazz, metal, blues etc...

Also notice i said people who just shred for 6 hours are 'normaly' the ones who cant play rhythm. Implying you do get people who can do it all, but A LOT of people are crap in basic areas like that because they focus too much on complex stuff

Also i practice about 2-5 hours daily man... i just do different stuff to keep my head flowing
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 and Gibson Les Paul Custom is litteraly sex in my ear!!!

Last edited by MarshallStackLP at Apr 12, 2011,
Quote by MarshallStackLP

Im just passing on advice i was given by PROFFESIONAL musicians.

Let me emphasis proffesional... who are fecking amazing at what they do. Jazz, metal, blues etc...

Cool. I'd be more interested in hearing from your own personal experience though rather than from some unnamed "professional" who isn't here to back up anything he says.

Quote by MarshallStackLP

Okay maybe sayin going over 10 mins is stupid was a little of the rocker, 10 mins, 15 mins, 30 mins, that will do you good. But 6 hours non stop isnt.

Saying non-stop is a bit exaggerated. There are obviously breaks between a 6 hour practice. I've frequently practiced licks that I want to get down for 60-80 minutes straight though, and I can't say it's ever not immensely helped me play them flawlessly. 10 minutes a day on it helps, but it takes a lot longer to build up that muscle memory because there isn't as much focus in your practice that way. Therefore you must prioritize what is most important to you at that time.

Quote by MarshallStackLP

Also notice i said people who just shred for 6 hours are 'normaly' the ones who cant play rhythm. Implying you do get people who can do it all, but A LOT of people are crap in basic areas like that because they focus too much on complex stuff

There are always going to be weak/lopsided players in every category of practicing philosophy. Bringing up those players is a moot point, but okay.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Apr 12, 2011,
Quote by fixationdarknes
Cool. I'd be more interested in hearing from your own personal experience though rather than from some unnamed "professional" who isn't here to back up anything he says.

Saying non-stop is a bit exaggerated. There are obviously breaks between a 6 hour practice. I've frequently practiced licks that I want to get down for 60-80 minutes straight though, and I can't say it's ever not immensely helped me play them flawlessly. 10 minutes a day on it helps, but it takes a lot longer to build up that muscle memory because there isn't as much focus in your practice that way. Therefore you must prioritize what is most important to you at that time.

There are always going to be weak/lopsided players in every category of practicing philosophy. Bringing up those players is a moot point, but okay.

Well, it is sorta my experiance aswell, but then thats what floats my boat man.

I never noticed how crap my alt picking was untill he pointed it out, and after a tutorial with him he just said give it 10-15 mins a day slowly and build up the speed.
within 3/4 days it was in the muscle memory, i just had to work on speeding it up. The next week i played it and he was really suprised how much i had improved...

Check out a guy called "Carl Orr" hes an insane Jazz musician, who is one of the tutors at the college i go to.

Practice how you want to practice, if you get the kick out of it thats whats most important because it means you will improve. However if it becomes a chore your not gona improve at all.

I get what you mean and yeah i do that aswell, practice the new thing for a longer amount of time untill you say "okay yeah, i think i can give it a rest for today" Which for me, if im learning a lick wouldnt be too long. Unless its something like tapping arppegios which i aint gona nail for a while lol

But once you have to a point where your muscle memory has it, and you only need to speed it up, thats where the short daily periods of just going over it will help

No hard feelings man, i think we just misunderstood eachother.

Actually, motor skills are embedded all throughout sports. Just because they're moving their body more than guitarists doesn't mean they are using less motor skills. I don't know how to properly shoot a basketball with solid technique. I don't know how to seamlessly skate around on ice at high speeds. Or throw left hooks and uppercuts with maximal force. It wouldn't make a difference if I had strong legs or a strong heart. I can pretend I know how to do these things, as can people with zomgfast guitar playing. But those who are experienced can easily tell apart the good from the bad.

And I get what you're saying that after a while the practice becomes less effective. That's true with everything in life. The law of diminishing returns. However, it's as if you're trying to say a guitarist who practices for 15 minutes a day is going to outlearn a guitarist who practices for hours a day. That simply does not add up. Technique, songs, whatever you wanna call it... there's not always such a fine line between the two. I frequently do both at the same time.
[/qoute]
no you mis understand, first there is only one small group of muscles being trained while playing the guitar vs any sport which trains many muscles, there for will instantly require more learning. but the guitarist that practices a specific technique for ten minutes will see just as much improvement as the person who practice that technique for a full hour non stop.

and yes doing both, and practiceing a variety of things in ten to fifteen minute intervals is what is called effective practices, however the point I was making is that practicenig the same technique for an hour straight does not help you as much as you claim it will. when you practice a song that uses a specific technique you are usually doing more than just that technique which allows your muscles to realax and stops them from drilling the same exercise. how often do you practice songs that are the same technique being drilled for the whole thing (seriously though, I mean yeah you can say that metallica uses a ton of pm and iron maiden does a ton of galloping, but there are still more techniques being used)

Okay? The guitarist in this example would likely be practicing several hours a day, not just one hour every six days. So, while I agree with your statement, what is the point of saying that?

I'm saying that if one guitarist practices a specific technique for ten minutes a day for six days he will be better, at that technique, than the guy that did a full hour on one day. same amount of time just one sees more results. both of them will probably practice other things, but I've been talking about a specific technique, not overall skill. you seem to think that the original post was about "only pracitcing everything for a total of ten minutes combined", which it was more of a "practice on one technique for only ten minutes a day" which is all it takes before it stops being effective.

you seem to think that all day you practice just one technique and from what you've posted you are saying that you take breaks by playing other things or just taking a break all together, the first post was that you shouldn't practice one technique all day long, you should vary it up to get the best results, which I admit he didn't really word it greatly, but you seem to agree with the idea, you just don't seem to comprehend it.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by fixationdarknes

[/qoute]
no you mis understand, first there is only one small group of muscles being trained while playing the guitar vs any sport which trains many muscles, there for will instantly require more learning. but the guitarist that practices a specific technique for ten minutes will see just as much improvement as the person who practice that technique for a full hour non stop.

and yes doing both, and practiceing a variety of things in ten to fifteen minute intervals is what is called effective practices, however the point I was making is that practicenig the same technique for an hour straight does not help you as much as you claim it will. when you practice a song that uses a specific technique you are usually doing more than just that technique which allows your muscles to realax and stops them from drilling the same exercise. how often do you practice songs that are the same technique being drilled for the whole thing (seriously though, I mean yeah you can say that metallica uses a ton of pm and iron maiden does a ton of galloping, but there are still more techniques being used)

I'm saying that if one guitarist practices a specific technique for ten minutes a day for six days he will be better, at that technique, than the guy that did a full hour on one day. same amount of time just one sees more results. both of them will probably practice other things, but I've been talking about a specific technique, not overall skill. you seem to think that the original post was about "only pracitcing everything for a total of ten minutes combined", which it was more of a "practice on one technique for only ten minutes a day" which is all it takes before it stops being effective.

you seem to think that all day you practice just one technique and from what you've posted you are saying that you take breaks by playing other things or just taking a break all together, the first post was that you shouldn't practice one technique all day long, you should vary it up to get the best results, which I admit he didn't really word it greatly, but you seem to agree with the idea, you just don't seem to comprehend it.

This guy pretty much nailed what i ment lol
Yeah i cant word stuff great :/