Ok i have a problem. I have both a Marshall MG15FX and a Marshall MG100HDFX. the 15W has a 3.5mm headphone out which ive heard can be used as a line-out. and the 100W has a 1/4 inch emulated line out. Ive got a 3.5mm to 1/4 inch converter jack, and a 1/4 inch to 3.5mm converter jack. The problem is that to connect either amp to my laptop, my Mum bought a "stereo 3.5mm Jack to Twin Phono" converter. I want to know if this is the correct lead to connect my amp to my laptop, my iphone to my amp etc. If so, where do i plug the red and white jacks? (I cant test it because i don't want to open the pacakaging cus then i cant return it if it's wrong :S). If it's the wrong cable what do i need?
dude, ask your mom to get you a cheap USB interface like the M-Audio Fasttrack or something, it's like 80 USD couple years ago. Will work a lot better. Must be nice to have parents that encourage you to play music, or help you or whatever. BTW, from what I heard on here, you're very likely gonna clip and blow the line in circuit in your laptop or PC. So a interface is really the better way to go, as you don't have to worry about clipping signal. Most of them have XLR input, line in and guitar in, and also RCA out if you have some better speakers or monitors.
Last edited by The_Last_J at Apr 11, 2011,
So if I've got this right, you only have a 1/4 to 3.5mm converter jack- meaning you'll need to cables to plug into it. Is it female connections on the converter? Then you'll need 1/4 male to male and 3.5mm male to male cables to hook your amp to your computer. Or just buy a 1/4 to 3.5mm cable. Have your mom return that one with the phono connections if she can and get one of those instead.

You should not harm the inputs on your sound card as long as you're going line-out from your amp.
^ i like how you are using both standard and metric lengths. it makes me laugh.

also, phono cables should be like rca i think. that is the incorrect cable for what you want.
Quote by jof1029
^ i like how you are using both standard and metric lengths. it makes me laugh.

also, phono cables should be like rca i think. that is the incorrect cable for what you want.

Yeah, I know. I always say 1/8" but didn't want to start any confusion.