I am in a Metal band and we are just starting our first studio recordings. I was wondering if how we can get the best natural sound. I don't want it to sound like we are playing with a click track but we need everything to be on time. Any tips?
well, the only way to do that as far as i know is to just record everything at the same time as a full band
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
^^^ and that too.

I think you have to be so secure with the song, that playing it should come naturally. And therefore, will sound "natural".

(A decent sound/mix can help with the final product too. Jus' sayin'.)
call me ziggy.
Last edited by earthisearthis at Apr 11, 2011,
Quote by Unholy.Daemon
well, the only way to do that as far as i know is to just record everything at the same time as a full band

Thats what I thought so thanks :]
What would be the best way to play all at once? In studio? I wanna get studio tones but not drain our wallets.
just buy a small mixer with enough channels to plug everything in and make sure you have decent mics to mic all the stuff up with, and then have an output from the mixer into whatever program you're gonna use to record with
you'll get good sounds if you do things properly, but obviously you won't get pro studio sounds from home recording everything
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
There's a huge difference between playing to a click and sounding unnatural. Just follow standard recording procedures, play to a click then make sure your engineer knows not to go and edit everything to grid unless there are parts that are seriously out of time. As long as everyone records their part to both the click and the drummer, everything will sit well in the pocket which will mean it'll sound on time without being robotic. There's nothing more amateur than having a metal recording that's out of time and this will absolutely happen 9 out of 10 times without a click.
Quote by Odirunn
There's nothing more amateur than having a metal recording that's out of time

Especially when the tempo increases over the verse or each chorus is slightly faster than the last chorus. All at the same time the bass player is actually playing on time so while everyone else if off this dude in the background is some how holding a groove, but yet it sounds like shit because everyone else is playing faster and faster

Then when the band thinks its awesome you are like guys you need to re-record that it dosen't sounds good at all. Then they get all defensive when you say they can't hold time for shit without a click.

My or may not be based on an real life experience ^
Last edited by FireHawk at Apr 11, 2011,
Quote by FireHawk
Especially when the tempo increases over the verse or each chorus is slightly faster than the last chorus. All at the same time the bass player is actually playing on time so while everyone else if off this dude in the background is some how holding a groove, but yet it sounds like shit because everyone else is playing faster and faster

Then when the band thinks its awesome you are like guys you need to re-record that it dosen't sounds good at all. Then they get all defensive when you say they can't hold time for shit without a click.

My or may not be based on an real life experience ^

I take it you left this band?
Or were you the Sound Engineer?

I remember recording without a click-track or drums way back in my newbie days... I was so proud of my song but now that I listen to it I nearly shit myself because it sounds so bad... It had six guitar tracks/person(total of 12) and every single one was a different setting on my Behringer LX1200H(V-Ampire) emulating a different amp each time. They were all panned from 30-100 either way. Sounded like a muddy piece of shit.

TS,
I'm not really sure what you mean when you say "Natural". Do your guitars sound to fake/processed? Or is it the recording in general?
I find that Mic'ing a cab gives a much more natural feel than DI'ing. Try using two mics on a guitar cab. I like to put a large-diaphragm condensor about one foot away from the speaker and having a capsule condensor(Shotgun condensor works best here.) close to the speaker pointing more towards the cone.

What are you using to record now?
Erm... Actually just read your post and it seems like you haven't recorded yet. I'm assuming your budget is somewhat low so you most likely aren't going to be able to afford an eight track USB interface with eight good mics.
..I was watching my death.
the thing about playing to a click is... you're still humans playing to a click. it will never be perfectly in time especially if this is the first time yall are recording. i'm sure it will sound plenty natural enough as long as yall can stay on top of the click. the times things get unnatural is when you're going MIDI and quantizing everything, or if the engineer goes in and does all of that by hand, but if it's a good engineer, it will be in time and still sound natural.

not playing to a click in a studio will be a waste of money. especially for first timers, you probably dont notice how much your tempo shifts until you hear it recorded.
Quote by timbit2006

I remember recording without a click-track or drums way back in my newbie days... I was so proud of my song but now that I listen to it I nearly shit myself because it sounds so bad... It had six guitar tracks/person(total of 12) and every single one was a different setting on my Behringer LX1200H(V-Ampire) emulating a different amp each time. They were all panned from 30-100 either way. Sounded like a muddy piece of shit.

TS,
I'm not really sure what you mean when you say "Natural". Do your guitars sound to fake/processed? Or is it the recording in general?
I find that Mic'ing a cab gives a much more natural feel than DI'ing. Try using two mics on a guitar cab. I like to put a large-diaphragm condensor about one foot away from the speaker and having a capsule condensor(Shotgun condensor works best here.) close to the speaker pointing more towards the cone.

What are you using to record now?
Erm... Actually just read your post and it seems like you haven't recorded yet. I'm assuming your budget is somewhat low so you most likely aren't going to be able to afford an eight track USB interface with eight good mics.

This is what we have already.
The singer likes it but me, the drummer and bassist think it needs more feel to the song. It sounds digital and the drums sound like they are programed.
The guy we did it with used Protools for the drums and Line6 Podfarm for the guitar/bass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fnTZFcW0gg
Fender Telecaster
Squier Jazzmaster
Fender Deluxe Stratocaster
Hagstrom F-301
Epiphone Dot

Big Muff Pi
Small Clone
MXR Phase 90
Dunlop CFH
Crate V33H>Bugera2x12

Bunderthird (Alt Rock)
www.facebook.com/bunderthird
Last edited by theonecalledjoe at Apr 11, 2011,
Quote by theonecalledjoe
The singer likes it but me, the drummer and bassist think it needs more feel to the song. It sounds digital and the drums sound like they are programed.
The guy we did it with used Protools for the drums and Line6 Podfarm for the guitar/bass

Fixing the guitar tones would do wonders.
Quote by TechnicolorType
Fixing the guitar tones would do wonders.

this and a better mix altogether.
Quote by timbit2006

I wouldn't consider myself a sound engineer by any means lol but i was tracking them since they needed someone to run computer for them while they recorded that had experience with a DAW.
Quote by theonecalledjoe

Personally, I kinda like the digital guitar sound for this kind of song. However, regardless of the over all sound you're going for, the production and mix are the real culprits here. Youtube compression aside, there's no sense of space. The rhythm guitar needs to be double tracked instead of mono down the middle. The drums also sound very wonky and have too much reverb, further cluttering everything up; the overheads are also almost inaudible.

If I was mixing your song, I would probably reference Breaking Benjamin's or Skillet's newest albums. Great mix for the big hard rock sound.