Okay, so last friday I bought 2 albums from a local music store. One album I brought was Dream Evil- In The Night. When I got home and burnt it to my pc, I noticed there was a card in it for something called "Metal For The Masses". The card had a code on it which when entered to a website let me download 5 free songs from a selection of 100 or so songs (presumably from the same label).

Ive been having a bit of a thought about it and tbh I think it was a good idea. Okay, the song selection that big and wasnt whole albums (Only found a few songs from bands I liked), but hey, I got a few free songs out of it. Some of which were on albums ive been thinking about getting. This got me thinking, if all record companies did this, would it put abit of a small dent into the whole pirate downloading problem? Getting a few songs of your choice from buying one album? Does anyone else think this is a good idea?
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
It still is less hassle to download the full discography of the band IMO...
Ibanez AW200 ( Discontinued )
Jackson DKMGT Black
Squire Telecaster Classic Vibe 50's w/ Noiseless Specials
SX Bass ( Vintage Series Custom Hand Made )
-----------------------------
Roland Cube 30x
Peavey Classic 30----Boss RC-2
It is a good idea, but it can't solve the problem. If buying a cd - of let's say 10 songs - to download 5 songs is merely an extra, no-one's going to actualy buy 10 a cd for the 5 downloads.
Here's an idea. Record companies should stop being incompetent. They should seek long term business models where they distribute quality music at reasonable prices.
Quote by Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

Not sure if trolling?

OT, quite a good, if not a little naive, idea. It'd certainly benefit me as I'm always buying CD's
Quote by NotFromANUS
Here's an idea. Record companies should stop being incompetent. They should seek long term business models where they distribute quality music at reasonable prices.

and little pricks should be punished for illegally downloading stuff.
Quote by Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

This made me lol funnily enough.

Tbh i never looked at it as a full solution, but as a partial solution. Say to decrease the downloading problem by 10% or so. I dont DL albums/songs illegally now and usually spend 10-20 pounds a month on music so being given a freebie is quite a nice thought, even if its only 5 songs from a range of 100 from one record company.

Hell, I even got give a demo of a local band that the shop was giving away when I bought the albums. It wasnt great but hey, music for free when I spent money on 2 albums =)
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
A free poster with every album is what I want. Got one with The Black Key's 'Brothers' album and thought it was a great idea.
Each band needs a site which accepts donations, the donations reach a certain level and the band makes a new album. Money goes directly to the band and to bands people want to hear more of. If the band doesn't feel like making any more albums they simply remove the donations facility from the site.
Quote by Duffman123
A free poster with every album is what I want. Got one with The Black Key's 'Brothers' album and thought it was a great idea.

Good idea, but I don't want a 100 posters. Also, posters are not free. So cd's will become more expensive.
Quote by matt154
Each band needs a site which accepts donations, the donations reach a certain level and the band makes a new album. Money goes directly to the band and to bands people want to hear more of. If the band doesn't feel like making any more albums they simply remove the donations facility from the site.

That would mean that for beginning artists, life would be a ****ing hell. They wouldn't earn enough money, therefore by that you are stopping the development of young, new musicians. Bad move, broseph.
Quote by matt154

"Hey dude can we please record a new album, it's been 5 years since the last!"

"Just waiting on the last £5 to be donated....any time soon now!"

Quote by matt154

Top notch idea, but not for bands who have small fanbases.
THIS IS A LARGE DISTRACTING SIGNATURE.
TS' suggestion would make about as much of a dent in unlawful downloading as Spotify has. That's somewhere between 'nothing' and 'fuck all', by the way.

If I had a bright idea which could save the music industry in its current form, I wouldn't be sharing it with you lot. I'd be kicking around with my harem on my private island.
Last edited by Cloaca at Apr 11, 2011,