Hey guys,

I just bought a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR and am now looking for a new amp as I own a Fender FM-65R. I was going to invest in pedals but have decided to upgrade my amp first as I heard pedals will do little justice through a crappy amp.

So, could anyone give me some advice on which amp to buy based off that I'm looking mainly to play metalcore, with some clean stuff, and that I'm looking for a tube amp as I don't want solid-state?

I've heard of Peavey 6505, Marshall, etc...but could you please recommend a decent halfstack for around $1000? I don't mind buying used from eBay or Kijiji by the way.

I don't mind if you recommend combo amps, but I'm really looking for an affordable half-stack tube amp.

Thanks!
Well Peavey 6505 is the standard suggestion. Definitely have to be used with that budget though. Look for a used 6505 2x12 or look into getting the 112 version of it. Having a half stack does not make you cooler.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Maybe the 50 watt Jet City?
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
After play one at the weekend I think that a Peavey Triple XXX would be on the money for what you want, it doesn't have that generic 6505 tone but can still get heavy, a good 4x12 and an OD and you are sorted.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
The Jet City 100w is a great amp. I think the 50 is too, and both are plenty loud... I'd say get the 50 between the two, that way you can invest more in a cab. Used Mesas are always nice.
I have the JCA50H, just got it this weekend. Played it through an Egnater 1x12 w/ some $150 celestion speaker in it (waiting on my 2x12 to come this week), but anyyyyway -

This thing has balls. The cleans are nice and can be dialed in pretty clean. The distortion channel is loud, much louder than the clean channel I noticed (probably to help it cut through the mix). It can do metalcore, probably even better with an EQ pedal to help boost some bass. Otherwise, thing is sweet, but basic. A small pedalboard would help it (reverb,delay,chorus, maybe a distortion pedal [which I tried, and the distortion pedal does give it a little more low end when EQ'd])
I would certainly suggest either of these options:

Jet City 100w, a 412/212, and then maybe some sort of OD like a Bad Monkey/TS9 to boost it slightly.

Or more typical, a 6505/5150 or 6505+ plus a 412 cab. You can get both used for under a grand, I'm sure.
Quote by BDags
Hey guys,

I just bought a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR and am now looking for a new amp as I own a Fender FM-65R. I was going to invest in pedals but have decided to upgrade my amp first as I heard pedals will do little justice through a crappy amp.

So, could anyone give me some advice on which amp to buy based off that I'm looking mainly to play metalcore, with some clean stuff, and that I'm looking for a tube amp as I don't want solid-state?

I've heard of Peavey 6505, Marshall, etc...but could you please recommend a decent halfstack for around $1000? I don't mind buying used from eBay or Kijiji by the way.

I don't mind if you recommend combo amps, but I'm really looking for an affordable half-stack tube amp.

Thanks!

Why are you wanting a half stack? That's a huge change to go from the FM-65R to a half stack. Unless you have some place to really crank the half stack you won't benefit much.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Quote by rawkandrowl
Why are you wanting a half stack? That's a huge change to go from the FM-65R to a half stack. Unless you have some place to really crank the half stack you won't benefit much.

I hate to start this up, but 4x12s do sound bigger. Even in quieter situations, there's just no replicating the 4x12 sound with a 2x12. 2x12s are great, they're awesome, they're loud, they're not as heavy, but there's something to be said for a big amp if you're cool with carrying it places.
Last edited by lifesglorydead at Apr 11, 2011,