Poll: Professionally or myself
Poll Options
View poll results: Professionally or myself
Do it myself, buy all the materials, vintage wire, copper conductive tape, etc
12 75%
Bring it in to my guitar shop and get them to ship it out to get it wired professionally
4 25%
Voters: 16.
Hi, I made a guitar and I'm at the point of wiring it, I'm just wondering do you think I should get it done professionally or do you think I should do it myself, I've never really wired anything then a lock... Black goes with black, blue with blue, etc... But I get the jist of it...
vintage wire?
wiring a guitar is pretty dam easy if you have a basic understanding of how to solder, and if you can read a wiring diagram. and you can learn both in about 10 minutes.
Do it yourself. It's so easy, it's basically throwing money away to have someone else do it for you. There are tons of guides all over the internet, and a decent soldering iron/solder combo only costs like $15.

That little thing of solder will probably last you around 3-4 complete solder jobs. When you have to get more, you get a much larger roll, which only costs like $4, which probably lasts twice as long, at least. I don't know for sure because I'm still on my first replacement roll.

What exactly are you trying to do? What pickups, how many conductors, etc.? I personally wouldn't recommend vintage wiring - it's pretty noisy, and IMO there aren't really any tonal benefits.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 11, 2011,
I'm trying to wire the pots and Everything.. What type of wire should I use... Is this fine?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Wire,_cables/Shielded_Guitar_Circuit_Wire.html

I'm going to use the single conductor wire ... I'm using a Gibson 57' classic gold in the neck and a Gibson 57' classic plus in the bridge .

Do I need to use a different wire for the output or something?
You don't need shielded wire - I've never used it. But I guess it couldn't hurt, if you want to spend that much on wire. It might make wiring a little more difficult though, because of how thick it is, depending on what all you want to do.

I just bought a spool of wire from Radio Shack, can't remember the exact kind. But it only cost like $4. It works perfectly fine, albeit I hate the jacket material, as it's really slick and slippery and hard to work with.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure this is the exact stuff that I'm using right now. http://cgi.ebay.com/ORANGE-24ga-TEFLON-Stranded-1-Cond-Wire-1-00-ea-5-/150364868967?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230271d167

Although, I can't say if it is noisy or not, because I'm using active pickups. So maybe someone else has a better say on if that is good to use for low output passives like you have. You may want something a little more high quality.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 11, 2011,
wire is wire, all wire will work.

If you can get some of the cloth covered stuff for mojo itll be cool, but otherwise just use whatever, its not really gunna make any difference.

Gauge just refers to the thickness of the wire, im quite reluctant to believe itll make a difference in sound. Go for this stuff.
http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/product/1470
Shielded aint gunna make a difference if you ground your guitar properly and shield the cavity.

You'll need a file or some sandpaper so you can give the pots a rougher surface for the solder to stick to for grounding.