Hey, so about three weeks ago, maybe even longer honestly, I started developing some pretty nasty wrist pain on the left hand. I think normally I have OK posture and technique but I think what happened is I was kinda slouched on my bed just strumming on my acoustic for hours and I knew the position was terrible and my wrist was bent all weird but I was lazy and now it hurts like a bastard. I can move it around fine, like right now it doesn't hurt, but if I press where it hurts (right where the wrist bends on the top, kinda in-between those two big bumps where the two bones in your arm meet to form your wrist) it's like agonizing, and it's a dull obnoxious pain whenever I'm playing. I don't get a chance to play much these days, only like twice a week for an hour or so, so I've already cut back even if it isn't by choice. What can I do to solve this?
Don't play for a week or two. Untill it doesn't hurt. THen get back into it with proper posture.
You're not going to die or lose any ability. I promise.
my bassist had this really bad. his was actually diagnosed as tennis elbow (why it is fealt in the wrist i have no idea). he wore a brace on his wrist and has been really good about icing is elbow and wrist after practice and live performances.

from that he has said his pain has subsided greatly
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
If your wrist is hurting a lot and for that long, you should really see a doctor. It's probably something very treatable. You're just making your life harder by not seeing a doctor, one visit and you'll be playing pain-free sooner.
Ibanez Prestige RG20061
Peavey Envoy 110
Visual Sound GarageTone Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah
Dunlop Jazz III picks all day errday
Quote by Noslo13
If your wrist is hurting a lot and for that long, you should really see a doctor. It's probably something very treatable. You're just making your life harder by not seeing a doctor, one visit and you'll be playing pain-free sooner.

A doctor will be usless, you want to see a physio therapist.

If you have any lightweight dumbbells or something then do wrist curls with them every other day to build up the strength.
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 and Gibson Les Paul Custom is litteraly sex in my ear!!!

"THESE AMPS GO TO 11!!!!!!!!!!"

Im with everyone else on this one here. If it were me, the first thing I would do would be to stop playing for a week or two. If still nothing, see a doctor or physio.

Though Im not a doctor of course, so if you're really worried about it, it could be worth seeing one.
For 'Ultimate Guitar' Members: I wrote an ebook called "The Ultimate Guide To Playing The Guitar".

If you'd like a FREE copy of it, you can do so by Clicking Here
Quote by MarshallStackLP
A doctor will be usless, you want to see a physio therapist.

If you have any lightweight dumbbells or something then do wrist curls with them every other day to build up the strength.

Seeing a doctor is the generally accepted first step to getting referred to a physiotherapist. That makes the doctor somewhat useful in this situation.

TS - stop playing, if it doesn't get any better with rest see a doctor. And if you so much as look at dumbells my hand will travel through the internet, emerge from your monitor and slap you around the head
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
youll get used to it, just dont play or play at an angle thats very comfortable to you for a week.

i broke my radius, the right bone coming from your wrist to your elbow, before i started playing guitar, and it healed all ****ed up so my wrist was always at a weird angle which caused a lot of discomfort and pain

it hurt so bad when i actually got into playing full songs, but i just adjusted my guitar's angle for a week or two and it healed.

I also felt the pain when I started playing standing up, but yeah adjusted the angle I was playing at and it healed
I feel the need to repeat some of the advice just to emphasize how important it is.

-Rest.
-Do not play.
-Ice it regularly - Do not neglect this. It is one of the best things you can do for yourself.
-And under no circumstances are you to do wrist curls with dumbells, or any other sort of similar activity. It will put greater strain on your wrist and you'll end up with a serious chronic problem.
-Stretches too. Before you play, when you're done playing a song, when you're done playing, as well as once or twice during the day besides this.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Last edited by chaos13 at Apr 12, 2011,
Quote by steven seagull
Seeing a doctor is the generally accepted first step to getting referred to a physiotherapist. That makes the doctor somewhat useful in this situation.

TS - stop playing, if it doesn't get any better with rest see a doctor. And if you so much as look at dumbells my hand will travel through the internet, emerge from your monitor and slap you around the head

Dude, im not tryin to start an argument but i was just giving advice. I had pains and my sister, whos a sports therapist (similar to a physio) told me to do wrist excersizes and it actually worked... obviously if it hurts then stop and rest.

I dont mean heavy weight, just real light weight stuff
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 and Gibson Les Paul Custom is litteraly sex in my ear!!!

"THESE AMPS GO TO 11!!!!!!!!!!"

Last edited by MarshallStackLP at Apr 12, 2011,
Quote by MarshallStackLP
Dude, im not tryin to start an argument but i was just giving advice. I had pains and my sister, whos a sports therapist (similar to a physio) told me to do wrist excersizes and it actually worked... obviously if it hurts then stop and rest.

I dont mean heavy weight, just real light weight stuff

Although I don't doubt that it helped, there's too much risk of using weights that are too heavy- which will make the problem worse.

I think wrist stretches would be better (although that's probably similar to using really light weight dumbells- depends on how light...).
Well, I followed the doctor advice as that seemed to be the safest option... he told me it's probably just inflamed and to start taking 600mg Ibuprofen (three pills) four times a day for three days. It's been two so far and it's been a drastic improvement, I don't know if it's just because there's SO much Ibuprofen in my system but my wrist, hand and forearm feel pretty tingly so I think the anti-inflammatory is doing its job, getting blood there, and healing it. He also said to ice it for 10-20 minutes after playing, which should help. If it's not better he'll make the recommendation to see a physical therapist, but it looks like this is doing just fine. Thanks for all the advice!