I know quite a few people on here seem to have trouble with sweeping, and i've been sweeping for a while but i've always seemed to notice a problem with it.

When i sweep i always leave notes hanging in the air. People may like this but imo it sounds messy.
I've tried palm-muting it but that also sounds bad. I've watched lots of videos and read lots of things about it but nothing seems to mention this. Is there something wrong with my Technique?
well mine are like that and i think it sounds like shite tbh =[
my guess is, it's just a case of practise practise practise untill you've got it how you want it?
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
I also have kind of the same problem. I recently bought a metronome and have been practicing with that. Starting out slow and working my way up. It's definately helped me clean up my sweeps.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
My 3 note sweeps (basic stuff yeah) sound perfect.
Any more than 3 notes, its like a beehive.

i still get bad 3 string sweeps tbh, 5 string sweeps goin down are near perfect for me, but i can't go back up without missing every string on the way
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
There's really nothing you can do but practice them from a slow tempo to a higher one (use guitar pro).
Start with extremely slow speeds, and always make sure that every single note sounds clean, if it doesn't go even lower on the tempo.
Don't give up, it might take you a while to get it down, but in the end it's worth it since sweeping is ****ign awesome.
how do you slow the tempo when listening to songs in guitar pro?
Knockoff Fender
83' Peavey Milestone << Favorite
Line 6 Spider IV
i only have a license of guitar pro 5, but up top there's a box with the tempo in it, you just click on it if you want to change it.

i think guitar pro 6 is the same, its just on the side.
theres a button along the bottom of the music, above the list of instruments, just click on it... it kind of looks like a metronome, any way when you click it a window will pop up and you can change the tempo from there.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
notes hanging in the air... like harmonics?
You need to mute the strings after you play them, as you sweep down. I use the palm of my picking hand, but i think some people use their fretting hand fingers? meh. my two cents
Quote by greeneyegat
notes hanging in the air... like harmonics?
You need to mute the strings after you play them, as you sweep down. I use the palm of my picking hand, but i think some people use their fretting hand fingers? meh. my two cents

That's what I try to do, but to no avail... I still fail! =( Like.. I got the speed, but for some reason, I can't really get the EAD strings to stop from ringing out... GBE is no problem.
I don't know how to sweep, but could one way of stopping the ringing problem be to lift the finger of the fretting hand off the string during the sweep? It would mean syncing left and right hands pretty well.
thanks jsync and krypticguitar87 appreciate it
Knockoff Fender
83' Peavey Milestone << Favorite
Line 6 Spider IV
That's what I try to do, but to no avail... I still fail! =( Like.. I got the speed, but for some reason, I can't really get the EAD strings to stop from ringing out... GBE is no problem.

Your palm follows your pick and mutes every string lower than the one you're playing on. This should be all the time, not just when sweeping.

Do read the stickies please, everyone, you would have seen this - www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc