I've never owned a 7-string guitar, but love extremely low tunings.

I saw this guitar on Rondo Music:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product4200.html

Its a 7-string, but it also has a 27" scale, so I would imagine you would be able to tune it extremely low. Ive heard of people tuning normal guitars almost to E below E, so I would assume this guitar could do it, albeit with extremely thick strings.

Also, is it difficult to get used to playing on a much longer scale?

Basically it would be tuned thusly: E-A-D-G-C-E-A

Washburn X50PRO FE (GuitarHeads active bridge pickup)
Dean Vendetta XM
Jet City JCA20H head, w Eminence Texas Heat 12"
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255
Behringer VD1 (Big Muff PI clone)
Last edited by tronester at Apr 11, 2011,
Bass scales usually start at 30"+, more likely to be 32/34". Tension would be an issue - we're talking fairly large strings to cope, and you may have issues stringing at the nut and possibly at the machineheads, especially on the lower strings.

It's also the electronics in basses that provide much of the differential in sound from guitar, apart from scale length. And bass amps are of course diff.

What I'm trying to say, is that that item is a baritone guitar - not a bass. It won't sound like a bass.

Edit: I've just realised that I'm assuming you want it to sound like a bass, as a kind of substitute for having one. It is certainly possible to tune that low, if thats all your asking.
Last edited by Mazzakazza at Apr 11, 2011,
It wouldn't take much to get used to the longer scale, but in terms of strings you would probably want to look into something around these gauges:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=gsqvhc&xhr=t&q=bass+vi+strings&cp=8&um=1&biw=1152&bih=745&ie=UTF-8&cid=11603397132287735289&sa=X&ei=JjOjTZXoL4Wr8APbo9mpAw&ved=0CHEQ8wIwBw#

With an additional .016 or something for the High string, the 84 might be a touch excessive (or light) dependent on how you like your tension really, an 80 might suffice for what you want. But generally speaking yes you could achieve this tuning, but it might be worth looking into one of the lower end Agile 8 strings for a much easier time setting it up?
Thanks for the responses. I don't really want it to sound like or even be played like a bass, I just want it to be like a guitar only tuned extremely low. I would certainly love to try an 8 string, but they start at around 500 from what I can tell, and as this is just more of a fun experiment I really would prefer spending 200 or less. I realize that the Douglass isn't the best guitar, but i just would want it to be playable.

Washburn X50PRO FE (GuitarHeads active bridge pickup)
Dean Vendetta XM
Jet City JCA20H head, w Eminence Texas Heat 12"
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255
Behringer VD1 (Big Muff PI clone)