I have a Fender Strat. It's a great guitar and I love the tone I get for blues, and some lighter rock. The issue: I don't play too much lighter rock, but rather hard rock or metal. (Think Thrice, Alter Bridge, Megadeth.) My amp is great, as well. Genz-Benz 30/60 watt tube. Anyway, my question is this: should I buy a guitar more suited for my current goals and have my Strat as backup, or slap some humbuckers in the Strat? (My next potential guitar was either a Schecter C-7 Custom or Solo 6 Custom.)
personally, i'd get a new guitar so you don't accidentally **** up your strat and be left with no guitar, and like you said, you can use your strat as a backup
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
strat ftw! i have deluxe hss; after playing loads, its what i liked the most.

but if its not suiting your style, then yeah, think about saving up for a schecter :p
Dude, do wtvr you want but DON'T just DON'T buy a floyd Schecter... I've played some and they don't rly stay in tune. Get an Ibanez or a Jackson or an Esp. Trust me.
@ unholy daemon, the thing with a broken guitar is that it can always be fixed. I wouldnt worry about ruining it too much, Especially a strat. if you have the money, you can go the mod route and get an incredible guitar
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
What a faggot, do a few lines of cocaine and have a shot of whiskey or 5 if you want to study right
Don't mod the Fender, you love the tone and the feel right? Keep it. Plus, modding a blues guitar will not give you that 'metal-feel' or outcome (especially with that modern metal tone, that has evolved waaaaay past the classic 'Maiden' tone).
Best choice for you is to get that Schechter C 7 - one marvelous piece of equipment! Either it be the Hellraiser you're opting (with the thunderous EMG 707tw pickups) or the Blackjack (with the mighty Seymour Duncans), you won't regret the purchase
i'm not saying he won't be able to fix it or anything, just my opinion is why's it worth potentially ruining a decent guitar when you can get a new one (and i agree with people saying Jackson) and then have 2 good guitars

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
My personal favorites were the two Schecters with Duncans. I've heard Floyds can be a pain, so I'd rather avoid them anyway. EMG's I'm kind of leaning away from as well, as I'll be doing quite a bit of clean work. Gibson, I'd love one, but would rather not pay $900 for their 'entry level' stuff. No discredit to them, but if they were more affordable, sure. Ibanez, I've seen a few that I like. And Jackson, while they may possibly be the best fit, they seem too 'common'. (I love to have less common instruments. Not super rare, but you get the idea.)
you say they're common, i've seen more people with Schecters than with Jacksons or ESP's if i'm honest, but that's probably partly to do with the fact I live in the UK

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
There are tons of Jacksons where I'm at. ESP's are far from common here. I've seen one. Anyway, another factor is the finish. I love classic looking guitars. Meaning flame maple, sunburst, etc.
Quote by RebuildIt
Get more guitars! And mod the strat. And mod the new ones.

Im actually gonna agree with this. just save the money up over time. doesnt have to be all done at one time.
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
What a faggot, do a few lines of cocaine and have a shot of whiskey or 5 if you want to study right
I may back track on my earlier statement of avoiding Gibson due to price. I found an Explorer today for $800, including case. No scratches, dents, anything. Guy just bought far too many guitars for his tiny shop.