I have a Schecter, Gryphon model Diamond Series. I think they made this thing for GuitarCenter.

I have EMG 81/85s in it, and I just got a new Peavey 6505+ 112 combo, and the high-end sounds bad. I listen to bands like All Shall Perish, Through the Eyes of the Dead, Gorod, Protest the Hero, The Faceless, Necrophagist, etc. and I like the sharp, leading sound that all these bands have. My guitar just doesn't put out that tone and clarity. I love the low end, it sounds great, but the higher strings I go to, the more and more I lose the clarity. Yes, it could be the amp, but this guitar is 3 or 4 years old, and I haven't gotten maint. on it in over a year.

So I was looking for perhaps a new guitar. I really like Ibanez, the body shapes, headstocks, everything. My only specs are I want a neck-thru, some nice pick-ups (tho I can replace them), and a nice fast neck. Any suggestions? I've had my eye on Xiphos. I wanna play prog metal/thrash/tech-death. my price range is between 300 and 800 US dollars.

I like playing a step down, if that means anything at all? Thanks in advance.
Just swap the pickups on your guitar, could make all the difference at a fraction of the cost of a new guitar.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
you could try adjusting the eq on the amp, turn down the lows, add more mids and highs. but ibanez makes neckthrough guitars, check out the internet.
this is biased due to me having one but ya.... the new ibanez icemans (ict-700).
neck thru string thru.... 11lbs good guitar

edit: its got d activators just like xyphos
Do you have both pickups set at the same angle?

I have my neck pup on an angle where it is closer to the high strings because I like to solo on that pup...

And my bridge is usually level, but sometimes a little higher on the lower strings...thats where I play rhythm.

Where are your EQ settings? Are your mids scooped? Too much gain?

Have you tried any other guitars on your amp..or tried this guitar on any other amp?

I just find it kind of odd that EMG's aren't giving you enough high end. Also...Have you checked your batteries?
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by Washburnd Fretz
Do you have both pickups set at the same angle?

Where are your EQ settings? Are your mids scooped? Too much gain?

Have you tried any other guitars on your amp..or tried this guitar on any other amp?

I just find it kind of odd that EMG's aren't giving you enough high end. Also...Have you checked your batteries?

+infinity.

You beat me to all of it.

The EMG 81 should be fine at high end clarity (it's too high pitched to me, that's why I prefer the 85 in the bridge).

Definitely change out the battery since you said you haven't worked on your guitar in awhile.

Also, I have the same amp so if you need any help with settings or anything just message me.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7421 (MIJ) Dimarzio SD-7/AN-7
ESP LTD EC407 (stock)
Ibanez S320 (Tone Zone/PAF Pro)
ESP LTD EC1000 (stock)
Seagull C-6 Concert Acoustic
Godin MultiAc Nylon Encore

Amps:
Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+
Marshall DSL100
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb
Mesa Boogie 412 Rectifier Standard Cab
Randall Iso112

Pedals:
Horizon Devices Precision Overdrive
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
MXR Carbon Copy
Shure GLX wireless system
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus
i'd say try the duncan blackouts. the emg's were too sterile for me. the new blackouts with the 18v mod. wire them in series rather than parallel. have one wire coming out of the positive to the source, then from one 9v connect the positive from one wire to the neg of the other. http://www.zbattery.com/Connecting-Batteries-in-Series-or-Parallel. try this. 18v mods will give you more umph and way more output, but you'll definately have to adjust the eq with this one, but on the plus side you can run less gain.
You shouldn't need to change anything. You pretty much have 'the' metal setup right now. Change your battery as suggested, dial yourself at noon on all the EQ knobs and move them to taste from there. Don't go to extreme in any one direction, keep everything from 4-8 on knobs.
There's nothing wrong with acruing more guitars at the end of the day. For your price ibanez are a pretty good bet. The Xiphos plays really well, but I found it uncomfortable on my body when used it standing, the neck gets pushed a fair way out, and it's pretty neck heavy also. This is mostly due to foolish strap button placement, but I reckon a decent S or RG would be a better bet.
Few things to try first: change pup batteries, pickup height - adjust it, amp eq, new guitar strings like Daddario Pro Steels or something, possibly a few other things you can play with to get a snappier sound. Thing is, EMG's are probably the clearest, brightest pickups on the market - so I doubt there's a fault with the guitar itself.

Try fixing the guitar up and messing around first.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3