I am having trouble following the chords for lead playing .

for example if the chord is D maj , i can play the Dmaj scale all over the neck...(can be Ionian,lydian ). same if the Chord is Dminor, i can play the D minor scale all over the neck.

now here comes my confusion --if the chord is not D maj or D min, and if its - Dmaj7,
or Dadd9 or D6 , how do i play it all over the neck ?

please help !! m working on the lead part for the following chord progression.

Gm , Cm, Fmaj7 , Em , A , Dminor.
Quote by COBHC912
I am having trouble following the chords for lead playing .

for example if the chord is D maj , i can play the Dmaj scale all over the neck...(can be Ionian,lydian ). same if the Chord is Dminor, i can play the D minor scale all over the neck.

now here comes my confusion --if the chord is not D maj or D min, and if its - Dmaj7,
or Dadd9 or D6 , how do i play it all over the neck ?

please help !! m working on the lead part for the following chord progression.

Gm , Cm, Fmaj7 , Em , A , Dminor.

your progression is in D minor so use D minor to solo, cept when you get to the A (if you have it as an A major) then you want to use the C#, since that is in D harmonic minor. Along with Cm bring out the Eb. Since its not diatonically in D minor.

Try to accent the "flavored notes" in the chord.
In the Fmaj7 try to bring out the note E, or do an A minor triad over it

Something i thought of when typing this
from Gm - Cm- F maj7-Em,A
you can do a a chromatic lick

Notes: D --- Eb --- E-F -----F# -- G
chord: Gm - Cm - Fmaj7 - Em -- A

maybe that will help a bit

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
I would use D minor over this whole progression.... just change the C to a C# over the A chord and the E to an Eb for the Cminor chord, or avoid those notes over those chords all together....

or you could change the Cminor to C major and the A major to an A minor....

also if you want to solo something different over each chord like you describe in your post, just use the scale that shares the name of the chord... so for G min use the G minor scale for Gminor7 still use the G minor scale, for F major use F major, for Fmajor7 you still just use the major scale... however doing it this way may not sound great or fluid, I'm not saying it can't work because it totally can, just saying that it may be difficult if you aren't used to switching between scales.

also just wondering do you know the diatonic chords for any given scale? or do you know what diatonic chords are? if not you should look into them, it would be extreamly useful in situations like this....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.