I have a marshallMg102FX amp and a boss me20 pedal-board. I was wondering what was the best way to raise the volume without ruining the amp. For example, put master volume up and the pedal board's volume low?
Uhm, turn up the volume? Or get a new amp.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
What you really need is a new amp.

Not really sure how you mean, but I don't think there is a way you can ruin your amp with that setup. Unless you throw the amp at the Boss. Use your fingers, tweak those settings!
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Don't worry it should be fine. You won't ruin your amp. If you are getting terrible noise out of your amp like weird farting or popping noises when you play then turn the "Master Level" on the ME-20 down. In general though, just leave it around the middle somewhere and use the master volume on your amp.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Quote by rawkandrowl
Don't worry it should be fine. You won't ruin your amp. If you are getting terrible noise out of your amp like weird farting or popping noises when you play then turn the "Master Level" on the ME-20 down. In general though, just leave it around the middle somewhere and use the master volume on your amp.

thanks will do.
I'd be shocked if the ME20 had enough juice to blow up an MG. It's possible with some really serious boost pedals (Zvex 2 in 1) but not with your average multi-effects unit.

Besides, boosting the input on an MG isn't the way to go anyway. Get the volume you need out of the amp's controls, then use the multi-effects to add distortion or a little volume for solos as needed.
Quote by Roc8995
I'd be shocked if the ME20 had enough juice to blow up an MG. It's possible with some really serious boost pedals (Zvex 2 in 1) but not with your average multi-effects unit.

Besides, boosting the input on an MG isn't the way to go anyway. Get the volume you need out of the amp's controls, then use the multi-effects to add distortion or a little volume for solos as needed.

I wasn't sure but you're right, i don't think the ME20 is that powerful. I've just been getting half power sometimes when playing live I wasn't sure if that was an amp or guitar input problem
Half power on a SS amp is very often the chip or, for some reason, the volume knob. The volume knobs on these things love to die early.
Quote by Roc8995
Half power on a SS amp is very often the chip or, for some reason, the volume knob. The volume knobs on these things love to die early.

would you recommend bringing it in to get looked at?
Probably not. A lot techs won't even look at MGs/cheap SS amps, and a bench fee is going to be too expensive to make even the most basic repair worth it for that amp. I'd find a friend who can replace the volume pot, but that's about as far as reasonable repairs are going to go.