Hey guys,

I'm just about to buy a few new pedals for my setup. I'm keeping it pretty simple and so far I've got my sights on:

ProCo Rat 2
BOSS TU-3
Dunlop Original Cry Baby

My question is whether it would be a good idea to get an overdrive pedal as well as the ProCo Rat2? I've tried the Rat2 and it's great but I want to be able to play cleaner guitar parts for songs without having to bend down mid-gig and fiddle with controls.

I play in a band and we play mostly rock-based (e.g. Foo Fighters, Clutch etc.) and we have a few songs that require less distortion and just a slighlty 'dirtied' clean sound. I'm running my American std Tele (with hot rails in the SD bridge) through a solid-state Crate combo and the clean channel. Can I achieve the sound I'm after with an overdrive pedal alot better than with a distortion pedal? Any recommendations? I've been looking at Behringers pedals 'cause they're pretty cheap. Are they worth a go or are they too cheap to be any good? I was looking in particular at the Behringer Vintage Tube Overdrive VT911.

Any help would greatly appreciated.
Last edited by this_goes_to_11 at Apr 11, 2011,
Use your normal distortion but roll the volume on your guitar down.
Rock [James] Roll
crybaby is rubbish unless you mod it (though i've heard some people say that the newer ones have the fasel inductor? Not sure)

I dunno I mean I'd just get a better amp unless those effects are an integral part of your sound. Add up the cost of a rat, a crybaby, a tuner (granted it's probably a necessity) and an od as well and you're within range of tube amps which might do what you want out of the box. Or at least not far away.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The GCB95F model of Crybaby ("Crybaby Classic") has the Fasel so if you must buy an original crybaby make sure it's that model. That said if I had to buy a Wah now, I'd actually go for the 95Q because it's tweakable.

I don't know anything about the Behringer pedals. Behringer is kind of a brand I'd be wary of given my experience with a mixer and some rack gear.

You should at least wait and try to see if rolling the volume knob down on your guitar will achieve the sound you want. It usually works out pretty well.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
You can't have too many pedals, even junky ones- lots of fun to be had. If you do get a cheapo overdrive, don't get a Behringer though. I'd highly recommend the Arion Tubulator, they're not super easy to find but they're hecka cheap and use the same wiring and JRC4458DX op-amp as most modern Tube Screamers. Replace the clipping diodes with red LED's and it becomes even more awesome and trashy sounding.
Quote by Dave_Mc
crybaby is rubbish unless you mod it (though i've heard some people say that the newer ones have the fasel inductor? Not sure)

I dunno I mean I'd just get a better amp unless those effects are an integral part of your sound. Add up the cost of a rat, a crybaby, a tuner (granted it's probably a necessity) and an od as well and you're within range of tube amps which might do what you want out of the box. Or at least not far away.

I agree. You'd be better off in the end I think if you went for a new amp. However if you absolutely need a Wah pedal now, then go for it, but I'd definitely hold off on getting an OD or Distortion pedal just in case you start looking at getting a better amp.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401