Hey there. I'm looking for a certain kind of sound. It's some kind of low-fi, analog, almost underwater sound. I can get close when I use the analog mode on my DD7 along with my wah on the outer heel position.

An example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvCLhq8okxc (skip to around 0:50:00). The effect I'm looking for though, is a slightly stronger one than in this example, but this one comes close.
it sounds like some sort of really heavy reverb effect. I have the EHX Cathedral reverb, and with the "damping/tone" control you can get something like this... I don't know if it's the exact thing used in this song, but it's as close as I can get...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2-28drzvtk&feature=fvwrel

fast forward to about 5:13... it's a poor example of how much you can really do with it, but when you combine it with the other parameters, you can get that underwater-y echo e.g. you can get the effect on Sublime's "Badfish" solo
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Last edited by cheeekens at Apr 11, 2011,
Quote by cheeekens
it sounds like some sort of really heavy reverb effect. I have the EHX Cathedral reverb, and with the "damping/tone" control you can get something like this... I don't know if it's the exact thing used in this song, but it's as close as I can get...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2-28drzvtk&feature=fvwrel

fast forward to about 5:13... it's a poor example of how much you can really do with it, but when you combine it with the other parameters, you can get that underwater-y echo e.g. you can get the effect on Sublime's "Badfish" solo

The effect from the Cathedral sounds kind of like it, yeah. Maybe I should screw around with the tone knob on my Verbzilla. Thanks for the idea.
Yeah I think you should be able to get something similar with any reverb with a tone knob... sounds really cool
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
didnt ibanez didnt a pedal just to make your guitar sound lo fi? if i remember correctly it was pretty cheap too..
yeah I actually have it (it's in my sig), but the Ibanez LoFi filter is more of a specific EQ pedal in that it cuts out the depth and bass of your sound and leaves you with a very trebly, static-y 2-D sound. You'd get a similar sound by getting something like the DS-1 and cutting out the distortion and most of the volume and just leaving the tone control anywhere before 12. To me it sounds more like there's some tone-dampening on a reverb (to give you that muffled depth) combined with some sort of filter (maybe even a half-cocked wah) to give you that muffled sound... the distortion in the sound seems like it's stemming more from the wave of echos more than anything else... its a very interesting sound, and this kind of stuff is why i love spending so much time experimenting with new pedals =)

here's a few links to get the creative juices flowing (it's an EHX plug but it can be done with any similar pedals)... it's a whole series of clips, but I just included my two favorites:
reverb tricks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Gd7DVuYTE&feature=related
spaceship: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy76qJO4x1E&feature=related

I just realized you have an AC15 too
Last edited by cheeekens at Apr 13, 2011,
I was replacing a pickup in one of my Ibanez guitars and wired it wrong on accident. When you have the selector in position 2 it created a sound similar to what you describe. A small far away hollow type sound. It was cool so I left it like that for awhile.
I can't listen to the clips at work but have you tried the "FLERB" setting on any of the Holy Grail line of pedals from Electro Harmonix? I am not familiar with the "CATHEDRAL" reverb but it looks like there are the words "GRAIL FLERB" painted on its face. I imagine this is the same thing. It sounds very underwater-y.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
lol actually I do think that link is a good example of lo-fi, but i think the sound we're looking for has more depth than the typical lo-fi filter. As for the Flerb setting, I honestly haven't used that setting much because it sounds like a reverb with flanger/phaser, and I usually just combine my small stone with reverb to get that effect; I'm sure the Flerb can contribute to getting that sound, but I don't think it'd be the only component for the sound. Here's a decent clip-fastforward to 3:05 for the flerb part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr1nunxKFOQ

The phaser/flanger effect is downplayed on this example, but I do think it could help if used properly. Also, the deluxe electric mistress has a filter matrix knob that allows you to set the sound at any frequency along the flanger's spectrum, so you can set it to get that far-away muffled sound. I don't have any hands-on experience with that one, but I think it could be a better way of getting that muffled sound (as opposed to a half-cocked wah); the only thing is that it might sound a bit to metallic/bell-like... I'm trying to keep an open mind and look to other pedals, but I really like ehx's variety in effects... my only grip with them is that their pedals seem cheaply made (thin metal casing with silk-screened graphics that fall off if you travel at all-I suppose it gives them a "vintage/road worn" look), but they do have a lot of neat different effects

Also, like samhell said, the wiring can get you this sound; an even simpler way would be to turn down the tone knob on your guitar to 0. Depending on what guitar you're using, this can probably be an easy way to get that muffled analog sound. Stick a bit of chorus and reverb on it and I think you're set =)
Last edited by cheeekens at Apr 13, 2011,
Quote by cheeekens
lol actually I do think that link is a good example of lo-fi, but i think the sound we're looking for has more depth than the typical lo-fi filter. As for the Flerb setting, I honestly haven't used that setting much because it sounds like a reverb with flanger/phaser, and I usually just combine my small stone with reverb to get that effect; I'm sure the Flerb can contribute to getting that sound, but I don't think it'd be the only component for the sound. Here's a decent clip-fastforward to 3:05 for the flerb part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr1nunxKFOQ

The phaser/flanger effect is downplayed on this example, but I do think it could help if used properly. Also, the deluxe electric mistress has a filter matrix knob that allows you to set the sound at any frequency along the flanger's spectrum, so you can set it to get that far-away muffled sound. I don't have any hands-on experience with that one, but I think it could be a better way of getting that muffled sound (as opposed to a half-cocked wah); the only thing is that it might sound a bit to metallic/bell-like... I'm trying to keep an open mind and look to other pedals, but I really like ehx's variety in effects... my only grip with them is that their pedals seem cheaply made (thin metal casing with silk-screened graphics that fall off if you travel at all-I suppose it gives them a "vintage/road worn" look), but they do have a lot of neat different effects

Also, like samhell said, the wiring can get you this sound; an even simpler way would be to turn down the tone knob on your guitar to 0. Depending on what guitar you're using, this can probably be an easy way to get that muffled analog sound. Stick a bit of chorus and reverb on it and I think you're set =)

I tried messing with the tone knob on my Verbzilla, but my tone just got thinner and more vague, I couldn't catch the sound with it.

I'll check those clips of yours.

EDIT: Nah, the Flerb doesn't really get close. Couldn't it be that in my example they just placed a certain filter over the whole part?

Quote by cheeekens

I just realized you have an AC15 too

Last edited by Soldier Poet at Apr 14, 2011,
yeah I think it could be some sort of filter... I guess there's different ways to get to that sound =)