Page 1 of 2
So I'm playing my guitar, and I'm getting some hum as usual, but this time I notice its way worse than normal (probably because I am cranking the volume a bit more than I normally would, or so I thought at least). So I decide to do some experiment. When I take my foot off of the floor (I am sitting in a chair whilst playing)... the hum is reduced. Almost completely. But when my feet are on the floor - the hum is pretty crazy, but still tolerably.

Thoughts/feelings...? This is a little strange and new to me, never had this issue before.
Quote by dngrsdave
Are you Grounded ?

You are speaking to someone who knows absolutely nothing about electrical terms. Seriously, put that in terms a five year old could understand lol.
Could it be my socks? I read somewhere that they can conduct electricity, and I know electrical interference can cause hum.
thats the "CRUSHING OVERDRIVE" of your marshall MG.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
Quote by New_Crisis
thats the "CRUSHING OVERDRIVE" of your marshall MG.

I think it sounds really good besides the hum =/

I like it a lot better than other amps in the price area at least.

Eventually gonna upgrade to a DSL combo probably once I save up a few hundered bucks and one comes up used on CL.
Aside from all these jackass replies...

Your guitar or outlet isn't grounded properly, which is causing the buzz. To know if it's your guitar, you would have to check for any exposed wiring. If it's the outlet, I'm really not sure how to go about fixing that.

It also could be the tilt of your guitar, if that's changing from feet on the ground to feet off the ground. Does your guitar have humbuckers?
Quote by dngrsdave
Are you Grounded ?

Nice!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jackson Soloist Std. Professional '93
DiMarzio Evolution (bridge) SD Lil' Screamin Demon (neck)

-B.C. Rich Warlock Special Edition Metal Web

-Peavey Bandit 112
Yes, one bridge humbucker. Also, it now shocks my elbow when I touch the strings with my elbow - but not my fingers.

elbow, forearm, etc - any part of my arm that isn't my hand.
There was a Metalocalypse episode of this....
the only way they could record was to play while skydiving...

But yeah its probably a grounding issue
Quote by dopelope
Maybe your cords? Metal plate in your arm? I have no idea.....

You know; this may just be me being stupid... but:

The saddle that holds my high e string made the string really low (to the point where when I was doing bends, the string touched the pickup - killing the tone). I couldn't find an Allen wrench to fix it so I just stuck a penny under it and that helped considerably. Is it possible that penny is causing the hum/shock?
Quote by joshmckinnon
There was a Metalocalypse episode of this....
the only way they could record was to play while skydiving...

But yeah its probably a grounding issue

I know, I saw that episode. ****ing awesome.

I just didn't know it could actually happen, I assumed it was for humor
um do you have a different amp to test this with? it could be the guitar that's not grounded (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_%28electricity%29) right and in other cases the amp could be having problems with ground (rare cases with the amp thing)
1. try hooking the amp up to a different outlet.
2. change the guitar out and see if its causing the problem.
3. change amps
try to eliminate thing by thing until you find out where its coming from. but i think its your guitar that has wiring problems. take it to a guitar tech if its the guitar that is the problem (most likely it is). and it shocks you? yea it seems to me that your guitar has a multitude of problems with it.
Internet trolls are like sap in trees. sticky and annoying, but good on pancakes.
Last edited by rocker222 at Apr 11, 2011,
I put on my shoes and - what do you know: The hum is reduced greatly and it no longer shocks my arm. Must of been my socks touching the cement floor in my garage. I also removed that penny.
The human body is like a giant electrical antenna so it picks up electrical fields that are naturally in the room from the electrical system, lights, outlets, etc. Once your body picks up it up, it will easily pass into your guitar pickups and wiring, which sends it out to your amp as hum.

So this sounds completely normal to me. When your feet are on the floor, they are probably nearer to some wiring and pick up the corresponding electrical field and conduct that through your body to your guitar.

HOWEVER - it is a grounding problem in the guitar if when you touch your guitar strings the noise gets louder. It should get quieter because when you are touching your strings, you should have a direct connection to the guitar's ground (usually under the bridge or connected to the tremolo claw on a strat), which means the electrical field your body is conducting will be conducted to ground and thus be eliminated.

Sorry trying to be as clear as I can. If you still have questions let me know. If you have a ground problem, it may not be that hard to fix if you're handy with a soldering iron and a multimeter.

I don't know anything about troubleshooting an amp grounding problem, so if it's with your amp...not sure how to diagnose that.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Quote by B.Renegades
Yes, one bridge humbucker. Also, it now shocks my elbow when I touch the strings with my elbow - but not my fingers.

elbow, forearm, etc - any part of my arm that isn't my hand.

That is very strange. I think this part may just be a strange coincidence. But if there's alot of static electricity going through the area (temperature/humidity/overall weather can effect this), then it could be causing the whole problem.
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
I don't know where you live, but where I am its very hot and humid right now. But I'm in a garage where it is nice and cool. Also, when I take my hand off the strings I do get more feedback, but I heard that was normal.
As for the penny, pennies are mostly copper which conducts electricity very well. Most electrical wiring is made of copper, so if removing that changes something, I'd go for that. But most of it is definitely your amp. You have the Marshall MG 10. That was my first amp. There was a LOT of hum on overdrive. I've got a Peavey Vypyr 30 now, and there's next to none.
A main difference between punk and pop-punk is that pop-punk vocalists can sing.
Quote by coolstoryangus
spider to frontman to mg

you really are moving up in the world b.renegades.

kiss my ass?
Does your wall outlet accept three prong plugs? How about your AC cord, is it three prongs?

Most likely they are but that's the first place to check for grounding issues.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
yes three prong. Well, I am plugging a surge protector into the wall and my amp (along with my TV, my lap top, and my stereo) are all plugged into the surge protector.
What you really need is a new amp

Okay sorry, but I am being srs this time. I don't know what would cause that however...
I solved the issue by putting shoes on and removing a penny from the bridge.

The MG is great IMO... I like it a lot better than my frontman/spider because it handles lower gain sounds (AC/DC for example) a lot better than either of my other two amps ever could. Also in my opinion it handles br00tz pretty well.
Im not saying its an amazing amp, but I certainly think its much better than most people give it credit for.

For some reason I think the MG10 sounds better than the higher watt versions, however...
Quote by Ironic Maiden
what the **** was that?

This is me playing Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath... can you not read? I improvised my own solo over Tony's solo.
lolwut

I think the tone is pretty great and goes along perfectly with the song

The solo? Okay so its a pretty mediocre solo. But, who cares?
Well, you ARE certainly confident about your tone young man..

Its just unfortunate it doesnt fit the song at all and sounds balls and not the dogs balls either just balls!
Subjective view sure is subjective.

Yeah it could be better, I agree. But you and I both know it could be way worse.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Well, you ARE certainly confident about your tone young man..

Its just unfortunate it doesnt fit the song at all and sounds balls and not the dogs balls either just balls!
This

Look, man, not to bully you, but that was seriously the worst cover and tone I have ever heard in my life... I seriously wasn't sure what the **** you were playing for a minute.

At least a Spider has a better tone than the MG

To be honest, I think most of the reason the cover was bad was that awful amp. I mean, no player I have ever seen sounds that bad with a good amp. I mean yeah it wasn't great at all, but you just need to work on stuff, that's normal, but that tone made me want to punch something.
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Apr 11, 2011,
I think that at least 50% of the crap of that tone has to do with the camera.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Page 1 of 2