Can someone explain to me exactly what I should know about Marshall amps? I know I'm being really vague right now but I'm trying to decide on whether I want a JVM halfstack or a Vintage Modern 50w 2266 head for a halfstack and I'm not sure as to whether either of them will cater to my power metal/neoclassical metal sounds that I so long for. Which of these two will do justice? Or should I look into something else?

I played a JVM halfstack a few days ago, but I have nothing really to compare it to since I haven't played on anything even close to the quality of a Line 6 Spider in a long time (and by that I mean I've been playing really horribly shitty amps for the past half decade). Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some tones I am hoping to achieve (or something similar)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJnAu1ACN2A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t-OsTKs-Kk&feature=watch_response_rev

Thank you all.
Quote by Darkflame
I have only played a JVM out of these two, and it's bad bad bad. avoid.
and btw, the amp on that first video is a Hughes and Kettner, not a Marshall.

I do realize that, my question was as to whether I could achieve the tone there with something like Marshall or not. Should I spend the extra 1,000 and get a Hughes and Kettner Coreblade?
the second video sounds alot like yngwie. The new YJM marshall amp would fit that perfectly. It has wattage controls, a built in reverb and OD pedal, and noise gate as well. And if you turn it all off it's a perfect recreation of a plexi so it's versatile as hell.

I'd go with that, or the vintage modern. out of marshall.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Boosted JCM800 should do it.

Isnt there a mega high gain Marshall called a 6000 or something? CoB uses those, and their early stuff is essentially power metal plus screaming.....

Haven't seen it around-- or heard of it. Looking forward to one, however.
Does it HAVE to be Marshall? Because there are quite a few non-Marshall amps in your price range that can pull off those tones, as well. Or you can get a good clone (Ceriatone seems to be popular around here).

Honestly, the JVM and Vintage Moderns aren't really the pinnacle of Marshall craftsmanship.
Quote by phlip999
Does it HAVE to be Marshall? Because there are quite a few non-Marshall amps in your price range that can pull off those tones, as well. Or you can get a good clone (Ceriatone seems to be popular around here).

Honestly, the JVM and Vintage Moderns aren't really the pinnacle of Marshall craftsmanship.

No, not at all. But I'm really looking forward to getting to know marshall and what they consider their 'flagship' etc. I'm really leaning towards the extra 1k for the coreblade right now.

brb while I check out ceriatone
Quote by phlip999

And yet plenty people seem to like them. Joe Satriani uses a JVM, Synyster Gates has been using them recently, Motorhead use them and I think Paul Gilbert has used them from time to time too. There's certainly lots of artists seem to rate them highly.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
And yet plenty people seem to like them. Joe Satriani uses a JVM, Synyster Gates has been using them recently, Motorhead use them and I think Paul Gilbert has used them from time to time too. There's certainly lots of artists seem to rate them highly.

Satch's is modded. Not stock. Does SG use them or endorse them? I was under the impression they got an endorsement deal with Marshall, but still use Bogner.

Paul Gilbert uses the Vintage Modern, last I checked. Any artist can get a deal and say that they use them. The JVM series are crap for the price Marshall puts on them. Same for just about every amp they make now.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Darkflame
I have only played a JVM out of these two, and it's bad bad bad. avoid.
and btw, the amp on that first video is a Hughes and Kettner, not a Marshall.

What's load of rubbish the jvm amps are great if I were you I'd get the 205head, avenged sevenfold use these so your gonna get your great distortion on it..
Irons
Quote by ethanwhufc
What's load of rubbish the jvm amps are great if I were you I'd get the 205head, avenged sevenfold use these so your gonna get your great distortion on it..

If you think the JVM series is great, you haven't played a really good amp.

Harsh, but true. They can sound very good if modded, but if you are paying that much for an amp, it shouldn't need anything.
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
If you think the JVM series is great, you haven't played a really good amp.

Harsh, but true. They can sound very good if modded, but if you are paying that much for an amp, it shouldn't need anything.

I've played many great amps and I do enjoy the JVM.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
So would you guys say the extra 1k for the coreblade would be worth it over the marshalls? Also, what does JVM even stand for?
Quote by stratman_13
Satch's is modded. Not stock. Does SG use them or endorse them? I was under the impression they got an endorsement deal with Marshall, but still use Bogner.

Paul Gilbert uses the Vintage Modern, last I checked. Any artist can get a deal and say that they use them. The JVM series are crap for the price Marshall puts on them. Same for just about every amp they make now.

Wut? I though he used Laney......
Satch's is modded. Not stock. Does SG use them or endorse them? I was under the impression they got an endorsement deal with Marshall, but still use Bogner/QUOTE]

Satch's has only had the reverb removed and replaced with noise gates I believe.

As for SG he uses them live. There's a youtube vid some where showing his rig and I also saw his when I saw rhem live
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Wut? I though he used Laney......

Na, he switched. Last couple vids I saw of him from recent he had a Vintage Modern.

Really. I thought SG had the Marshall backline, but ran his Bogner offstage.

Also, the JVM series is decent at best if they're turned up. And I mean really turned up, cooking tubes at around 4-5. To me they sound terrible at low volumes.
--

--
imo, high gain tones from marshalls sound too atrificial. while lower gian stuff sounds awesome if you get the right marshall for it. the only exception i have is boosted jcm 800s. those are awesome for thrash metal stuff.

if you want a high gain, british voiced amp check out the peavey 6534+ (theres other options ya, but i love mine so much)
if you want like a good megadeth/early metallica thrash tone get an 800 with a boost.
if you want low gain stuff then theres more options
Quote by Seanthesheep
imo, high gain tones from marshalls sound too atrificial. while lower gian stuff sounds awesome if you get the right marshall for it. the only exception i have is boosted jcm 800s. those are awesome for thrash metal stuff.

THANK YOU. That's what I've been trying to say.
--

--
Could I get some opinions on the Coreblade from Hughes and Kettner? My main concern is as to whether it would be too loud for a bedroom. I will be using it for practice and gigs 50:50. I hear 100 watts are super loud, but wouldn't it be fine if I left the master volume down low?
it wont sound as good as when its turned up but its manageable fro home use. ut overkill if you never gig. but in your case a 100w tube amp would be fine imo
Quote by Seanthesheep
it wont sound as good as when its turned up but its manageable fro home use. ut overkill if you never gig. but in your case a 100w tube amp would be fine imo

Thanks for your input. I appreciate. Well-- looks like my mind is set.
Quote by pdxhwa
Could I get some opinions on the Coreblade from Hughes and Kettner? My main concern is as to whether it would be too loud for a bedroom. I will be using it for practice and gigs 50:50. I hear 100 watts are super loud, but wouldn't it be fine if I left the master volume down low?

30 watts is only slightly quieter than 50 watts which is only slightly quieter than 100 watts. And tube amps don't have to be "cranked" per se to sound good. The tubes just have to be working. Like at around 3-4 on the volume knob. Which, depending on your living situation, is far too loud for home practice (In the meantime, my Tweaker is usually on 7 when I practice... But then again I live in the middle of nowhere and my parents don't care how loud I have it).

Now, for practicing in my dorm, I have to have it super quiet, and my amp sounds nowhere near as good.

And depending on where you play your shows, you might not be able to turn it to 3-4 on the volume knob.

It really is all depending on where you'll be playing. 100 watts for a bar band is pretty overkill, honestly. 100watts in general, unless you NEED the headroom, is pretty overkill.
--

--
right now thats my situation. im using a 120w tube head through a 4x12 cabfor home practice and it sounds good, just better at rehersals/shows
TS: Also, past a certain point, every amp sounds like shit. Even a dimed Plexi doesn't sound as good as a Plexi on the volume knob sweet spot (to me at least).

On my Tweaker, it's about 6-7 on the volume knob (or the rough equivalent since my pots aren't numbered). On a Dulce 18w clone I played, it was about 5. It varies from amp to amp.
--

--
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I'm so f*cking sick of people slamming the JVM. Most people who do are trying to playing extreme metal with the volume at bedroom levels.

i dont think its a bad amp perse, its just not worth the price they go for new.
the cheapest i ever saw one was a 410 head and that was for 800 but it was used, beat to hell, needed new tubes and didnt seem too sturdy
Marshall has reached the point where they don't make good amps anymore. The only Marshall amps that get a good rep nowaday are the Vintage series because they're reissues of amps from the time when Marshall made good amps. The company makes it's profits off nostalgia.