Probs not the best place but im in need of quick replies.

Do you think its ok for a band to be in time with them selves but not with say a metronome.

I think its a little more expressive not to fit rythems and such around a set tempo but whats your guys opinions.

Guitars:
Fender American Standard Strat 2009 Limited Edition
Ibanez Gak30

Amps
Jcm 800 2203 '82

Pedals:
John bull jr overdrive
Boss Equalizer GE-7
Boss TU-3
Boss CH1

My Band
http://www.myspace.com/hereliesnuggetband
That doesn't make sense. You're either in time, or you're not. How can you be in time with one thing and not another? You mean you change tempo?
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
No I mean when we play together as a band were in time. But some phrases and such when played along with a metronome arn't fully in time there slightly out/

Guitars:
Fender American Standard Strat 2009 Limited Edition
Ibanez Gak30

Amps
Jcm 800 2203 '82

Pedals:
John bull jr overdrive
Boss Equalizer GE-7
Boss TU-3
Boss CH1

My Band
http://www.myspace.com/hereliesnuggetband
Quote by sean1784
Probs not the best place but im in need of quick replies.

Do you think its ok for a band to be in time with them selves but not with say a metronome.

I think its a little more expressive not to fit rythems and such around a set tempo but whats your guys opinions.

Its good to have an idea in your mind as to what tempo your song is. You do want to be consistent afterall. But if your band is in sync with each other thats much more important than being metroninomical (just made the word up, thats right) . Does it really matter if your playing at 76 bpm or 80 really, no, but you don't want to vary all over the place as you play.

However do be wary that its possible that while you all feel your tight when your playing you could all be a bit off. Probably won't make a difference. Rock and Roll is just that, its not meant to be perfect.
As long as you are out of time as a WHOLE BAND, then it is fine I guess. If so, work with the drummer
It depends on your genre and target audience. If you're a crazy ass experimental group then it doesn't matter, but if you aim to be more straightforward then you should at least be close to the metronome tempo.
If someone is really feeling it it's perfectly okay for the song to speed up a bit, and if everyone does it together it's a really cool effect, but the problem is with the listeners. When people go to a concert they like to move to the beat, whether it's moshing or dancing, and you should be doing the same onstage to help people feel the song, especially if it's an original.
You should stay fairly consistent so the crowd doesn't get lost, but if the tempo switches a bit, so be it. The biggest thing is just to keep it relatively consistent and together.
It is okay, however that does NOT mean that you shouldn't work on your time.
Always play with a metronome when practicing, tell your band mates to do the same.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by sean1784
No I mean when we play together as a band were in time. But some phrases and such when played along with a metronome arn't fully in time there slightly out/

So like, a time change?

Those are all over in music, not so much in straight rock music, but time changes are pretty common. Time signature changes might change, too.

You have to keep in mind, there's more to music than just a 4/4 time signature. And playing with a metronome is to keep the beat in ONE tempo. There's more to just one tempo and time signature to be "in time."
To me using a metronome is harder - it makes me feel like i have to be playing at a certain pace, and I don't like giving myself limits when it comes to music.
It depends on what you mean by this. It's ok for chosen notes to fall ahead of or behind the beat a little bit if it contributes to the musical phrasing. On the other hand, if you all just fall behind or ahead of the beat during a whole section then there is probably an issue that needs corrected. It could be in the transition into / out of that section, or someone is off and everyone else is adjusting to that person, or....you guys figure it out.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Minor changes in tempo are not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it can be used as an expressive technique. On the other hand, it could indicate issues with your playing in a given section of a song. Strict timekeeping does have its place, but not in every piece. Even then, staying in time with each other is far more important.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Apr 11, 2011,