So I've come across 'The Guitar Grimoire' online, specifically Vol. 1, Scales and modes. It looks pretty useful, and there are good reviews and bad reviews. I'd like some opinions on it, if you have this copy, or any of the various DVDs/ books, as they all look interesting.
It's just with so many instructional works out there, it's difficult to find a reliable reference source, and this series looks promising. Thanks
In my opinion -- a totally useless book that creates more confusion than anything.

Give a man a fish -- he eats for a day -- now, teach a man to fish -- he has something to do on the weekends.

Go with William Leavit's books and the Berklee music theory series.

Giant books of scales and chords are .... blah. Just my $0.02
I bought the scales and modes book, and quite frankly its a waste of money, its just pages and pages of boxes showing each scale, which is really useless as soon as you learn how to actually construct the them.

Edit: This was about a year or so into actually picking up the guitar, and I think i might have attempted to use the book twice.
Last edited by Lateralus13 at Apr 11, 2011,
I've got the Chords and Voicings book.

It's just full of box patterns, but only in the E and A positions and without highlighting the root.

The formula comparison and slash chord constructions at the back can sometimes be useful, but you're much better off just learning the theory.
Totally useless.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I disagree. Although the books don't really get into how to use scales, arpeggios, etc.. I found it the clearest way to understand how they are built. I've always thought of them like an encyclopedia in a lot of ways. Reference books. Not technique books.

--m
www.knobtwiddler.net
I've used my scales/modes book maybe once or twice to see what some scales were that had strange names. It's not worth the price at all and does little to help learn.
I have three of them. Progressions and Improvisation, Scapes and Modes and the Exercise book. For the most part, they're pointless. It's kinda fun to flip to a random scale in the scales and modes book and be like, woah this exotic scale sounds cool. The progressions and improvisation book is kind of interesting and is useful to try out new progressions, an the exercise book is basically this: here is what three note coils are, this is what it looks like in tab form, here's four note coils, and here's a ton of chromatic warm ups. The exercise book is probably the most useful for technique because a lot of the exercises really empasize building dexterity and accuracy.