what scales and techniques does he typically use? I find it hard for me to do solos in the same style as him for reason... probably because my muscle memory has me soloing in the style of Dave Mustaine =/
Angus is a student of the blues, so check out some blues stuff to get a basic feel for it
i dont really listen to him too much but i know its mostly bluesy stuff like double stops and unison bends, along with minor pentatonic scales. And he basically always repeats himself alot in solos. Thats a big part of his sound
"cufk, tish, sips"
-
Kurt Cobain
Quote by B.Renegades

I think you missed the nail and hit your thumb.
Sounds like your out of tune.
Doesnt sound like your playing in any key/scale.
It hurts my ears.
Sounds nothing like Angus Young.

Playing guitar isn't a video game, if you get stuck you can't simply find a walkthrough on the internet and instantly solve the issue.

TS, at 11:15pm you posted asking how to solo like Angus Young, do you honestly think you're going to have got any closer to that goal in 45 minutes?

Listen to lots of AC/DC songs, learn to play lots of AC/DC songs, pay attention to what's going on in them and look for common themes and ideas. In addition listen to lots of blues and rock and roll, learn to play lots of blues, pay attention to what's going on in them and look for common themes and ideas.

If you come across any terms or techniques you don't understand you can google them for descriptions and look on youtube to see how they're done.

Also underpants go on before trousers, socks before shoes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah he does a lot of unison bends. An example is holding with your index at the twelfth fret on the high e, and bend the 15th fret of the b string up to the same pitch.

Like someone previously said, he repeats his licks a lot. I think a common thing he does is playing a lick, then sliding up and playing the same lick exactly one octave higher.
I think you need to work on everything that isn't soloing like angus young before you solo like angus young. No offense.
Quote by B.Renegades

Badly, so very very badly.

Your bends are out of tune, your vibrato is shallow and inconsistent, your guitar is out of tune. Fix those first, they're infinitely more important than any stylistic ideals you might have.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
He uses a lot of minor pentatonic runs and bends. In fact I'm currently learning the solo to You Shook Me All Night Long. I love Angus's style, he really makes the geetar sing.
Yeah, blues scales and lots of bends. Go for really lyrical phrasing. Also, sometimes he likes to tap, as in the solo to "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" or the intro to "Thunderstruck."
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by CreepingDeath13
Its hammer ons not tapping

It's still tapping, just not two handed tapping.
Quote by B.Renegades
So like BB King and Hendrix?

albert king
angus uses that style alot also just start listening to blues in general its amazing how much you can learn by litening to people idols
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
you need to work on your basic technique. and developing your ear with your fingers till you can bend in tune and be able to improvise something vaguely melodic or tasteful.

Get a teacher.

The Angus Young part of your question has already been answered but id like to add that he doesnt always use minor pentatonic - he mixes minor with major pentatonic, like a lot of blues / rock n roll players. Learn the pentatonic scales.

Edit: Obvious troll isnt obvious
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Apr 12, 2011,
Minor Pentatonic in E... same as Clapton and Hendrix =)

You might know what notes to play... but there is so much more to his playing style than just the notes. I mean Clapton, Hendrix and Young all played the same damn notes but they sound nothing a like. The notes are less than 10% of what makes Young sound like young. His articulation, phrasing, spacing, rhythm, ect... all are just as if not more important than the notes them self!

Like others have mentioned Young was a student of the blues. If you want to know where his style came from trace it back. He listened to Chuck Berry growing up. Who did Chuck Berry listen to!? T-Bone Walker, Muddy Waters, ect... do like all the greats did start at the beginning and work your way to the most recent
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Ok, I only just watched the video...wtf did i just waste 3 minutes of my life watching.

TS, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you're not trolling, but trust me when I say learning to solo like Angus Young is way, way down on your list of priorities. Arguably even soloing full stop is off the agenda.

Your basic technique is severely lacking, your playing is sloppy, inaccurate and not even music, your doing little more than hitting random frets and strings. You really do need to go back to the beginning and sort out all the things you're doing wrong, I strongly urge you to get a teacher if possible...if you have a teacher already you might need a different one! And for the love of all that is holy tune your bleeding guitar!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Yeah I just watched the video as well. I generally don't dish out only negative criticism but, to be brutally honest I can't find anything positive in that recording.

Start at square one, practice CORRECT technique. Learn to play slowly and cleanly.

Learn some scales, chord progressions how they relate

Hire a tutor

Learn other songs before learning to improvise.

FOCUS ON TECHNIQUE

And always always tune your guitar before playing it. It's a good habit to get into and will save you alot of embarrassment.
im starting to think hes a troll, browsing through his profile/previous posts
id like to be wrong though and he is just needing a little tuition
Last edited by Hydra150 at Apr 12, 2011,
Quote by CreepingDeath13
Its hammer ons not tapping

Actually it's neither. If you listen to the recording and can't hear the pick noise you need to improve your ears; I don't even like AC/DC and I know this.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
0:47 on this vid (and on other improv solos) he does a kinda hammer/pulloff thing like thunderstruck http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en7EKL1pX5w but yeah on all the live vids Ive seen he picks it all, but on a 'live' music video he does a flashy one handed version (using the original audio track) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pfCfCd3r8U (theres a higher quality version but it wont open in my country) which not only looks (and arguably sounds) cooler but I find it much easier to play. Most people think this is how it should be played.

Edit:http://www.metacafe.com/watch/252681/angus_young_interview/
go to 2:09
Last edited by Hydra150 at Apr 13, 2011,
PS: You are certainly not soloing in the style of Dave Mustaine. You're soloing in the style of random shit. That is all.
having looked at this guys track record and his thread in GG&A I'm calling troll here, let's not waste any more time on him
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc