I want to reduce the gain or drive on the ITS8. What resistors and/or capacitors do I need to change?
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
If I run my tubescreamers at 0 drive, then changing from a 1 meg pot to a 500k pot would not matter right? cause they both go down to zero?
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
shot where you at?
bump for shot
I may not be Shot but this might help.

Article: http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/tstech/tsxtech.htm
Schematic: http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/tstech/tsxtech.gif

More distortion - everybody's favorite. No problem here. If you want more distortion, lower that 4.7K [on A1 in the diagram] to get more gain when the drive control is maxxed out. If you don't also want to change the bass/treble response, you will need to change the capacitor as well. If you half the resistor, double the capacitor to keep the same overall frequency response.

So in other words, increase that resistor value for less gain. If you want the same freq. response, reduce the cap value by a proportional amount as well.
That helped a lot! I was too stupid to read through the damned thing!

Quote by GEOFEX
Zf is the parallel combination of the clipping diodes, a 51pf capacitor, and the series combination of a 51K resistor and the 500K "Drive" control. Ignoring the diodes and capacitor for a moment, and assuming that the signal frequency is above the 720 Hz rolloff point of the Zi network, the gain of the clipping stage is (51K + drive control)/4.7K. This means the gain of the whole stage can be varied by changing the drive control setting between 1 + (551K/4.7K)= 107 (about 44db) and 1+ (51K/4.7K), about 12.

So when THe drive pot is turned all the way down to zero, I am still getting 1+ (51K/4.7K)?
So by increasing the value of the denominator, I will be getting less gain. When it says frequency response, it means everything above 720 Hz? So to get the same freq response I would have to change the 51pf capacitor? NO WAIT!!

Quote by GEOFEX
With the stock 4.7K resistor and 0.047uF capacitor, this frequency is 720Hz. Only notes and harmonics above this point get the full gain of the distortion stage, and everything below it gets pregressively less gain - and distortion.

That is the cap I would change right?

So how low (or how high should I increase the value of the 4.7K resistor) can I go considering I already get MORE than enough gain from the ciruit already? If I need more I can just turn up the drive pot?

What would I then have to change the cap to in order to get the same frequency response?
Last edited by WesM.Vaughan at Jun 25, 2011,
I am going to replace R7 with a 20k resistor. I was told I won't have to replace any caps, is this correct?

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_its8_mods.pdf?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a