http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/11/top-library-complaint-story-about-same-sex-penguin-couple/?hpt=C2

It seems like a children's book about penguins hatching a baby at the Central Park Zoo in New York would be a cute story for parents to read to their kids. "And Tango Makes Three" is such a story, with one twist, the adult penguins are both male. The book, written by Justin Richardson and Peter Parnell, has once again topped the American Library Association list of the 10 most frequently challenged books. According to a news release from the ALA: "A challenge is defined as a formal, written complaint filed with a library or school requesting that a book or other material be restricted or removed because of its content or appropriateness." "And Tango Makes Three" is based on a true story about two chinstrap penguins named Roy and Silo. Interestingly, Roy and Silo - after the book was published - split. Silo started hanging out with Scrappy, a female, according to the paper of record on this story, The New York Times. And Roy, the paper said, was just standing in a corner. Author Justin Richardson told the Times in 2005, he was not broken up by the break-up, adding: "We wrote the book to help parents teach children about same-sex parent families. It's no more an argument in favor of human gay relationships than it is a call for children to swallow their fish whole or sleep on rocks." Still, the book was often publicly challenged for what some said were homosexual undertones. others have said it is inappropriate for children. The book topped the complaint list in 2007, 2008 and 2009. Last year, it was second on the list behind Lauren Myracle's series that includes "ttyl," "ttfn," "l8r" and "g8r." The list is based on about 400 to 550 complaints a year compiled by the Office for Intellectual Freedom. The No. 2 book this year was "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian," a young adults book of fiction based on the real-life experiences of author Sherman Alexie at a predominantly white high school. Four books including "Catcher in the Rye" and "To Kill a Mockingbird" did not make the list this year. The list is part of the library association's The State of America's Libraries report.

I think it's hilarious that parents' most hated book is about a couple of gay penguins that didn't even stay together. It's probably a lot more entertaining than half of today's novels.

Here's the list:
http://ala.org/ala/newspresscenter/news/pr.cfm?id=6874

I lol'd at Brave New World being on there.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Gay penguins?

HAWT
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Hahahahahahah, and Twatlight was on there. Too right. I'd ban that years before a non fiction story about penguin parents.
It's a true ****ing story. You can't even contest it on propaganda terms. It happened.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by StewieSwan
They chose to be that way.

Quote by TheBurningFish
It's a true ****ing story. You can't even contest it on propaganda terms. It happened.

People are stupid. Fact 1 of life it seems.

Quote by ErikLensherr

I actually used an article similar to this in a research paper about censorship last year.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Brave New World? a highly influential and relative piece of literature, how do you even come to this conclusion?

Oh wait, I know.

Orgy-Porgy, it has to be it. Someone is uncomfortable with their sexuality.
Lascaille's Shroud

Progressive Cosmic Death Metal

Facebook
YouTube
Soundcloud

You only exist because we allow it,
And you will end because we demand it.
BNW is hardly explicit. God, the people who challenge these books make me rage. I'm surprised Fahrenheit 451 isn't on there.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
All I could think of was this:

It's a book and it's about penguins. Not gay penguins, but whatevs.
What?? To Kill A Mockingbird was on the list until 2009? Whats the matter? A story about equal rights and understanding for black people in an era of severe racial conflict is actually offensive to some people in modern times?

Some people needs to be euthanised.
A penguin? And he's been drinking! ...Wait a minute, penguins can't fly. PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
This isn't a story about gay penguins. It's the start of 3 1/2 penguins.
my mom works at a library. their biggest complaint is the use of the word "patron" to refer to library...patrons. they think there's some correlation to "patronize". I thought libraries were supposed to fix that sort of thing.
Quote by DirtyMakik
A penguin? And he's been drinking! ...Wait a minute, penguins can't fly. PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!

I didn't know DUCKS could fly until I was walking home from work and I nearly got knocked out by a angsty flying duck.
True story, bro.
Quote by daytripper75

That book was awesome. And is becoming a movie starring Jim Carrey, apparently.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Two male Chinstrap penguins like these formed a real-life romantic attachment which led to a children's book, says The New York Times.

At first I read this as "Two male Christian penguins"
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by iantheman
At first I read this as "Two male Christian penguins"

That tickled my funny bone for some reason! Oh man...

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by daytripper75

I read that book in 3rd grade and I fucking loved it.

I've head about "And Tango Makes Three" and it's advocating of "alternative" families before There's a longer list of banned books somewhere, though some of them might actually have been taken off. While some obviously merit library-space (like Ulysses, which I think was banned for years before it even appeared in America), it's difficult to imagine how these people rationalized, say, American Psycho
Wow. People are really stupid.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by due 07
It's like that episode of Parks and Recreation.

Thats the first thing I thought of too.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
All of this media attention on gay people is going to turn me homophobic.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Zombee
All of this media attention on gay people is going to turn me homophobic.

Wat?

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by TheBurningFish

That's what I thought. Can't argue the truth
Quote by thewho65
I read that book in 3rd grade and I fucking loved it.

I've head about "And Tango Makes Three" and it's advocating of "alternative" families before There's a longer list of banned books somewhere, though some of them might actually have been taken off. While some obviously merit library-space (like Ulysses, which I think was banned for years before it even appeared in America), it's difficult to imagine how these people rationalized, say, American Psycho

Are you saying American Psycho should be banned? Yeah, it's a graphic book, but no book should be banned by libraries.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Did anybody else think of socially awkward penguin?
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Quote by tayroar
Are you saying American Psycho should be banned? Yeah, it's a graphic book, but no book should be banned by libraries.

In no way, I just find it curious how they rationalize keeping that book in libraries, but "And Tango Makes Three...that's the true work of satan."
Quote by Moggan13
What?? To Kill A Mockingbird was on the list until 2009? Whats the matter? A story about equal rights and understanding for black people in an era of severe racial conflict is actually offensive to some people in modern times?

Some people needs to be euthanised.

It's on there cause it says n**gger in the book alot, so white people feel guilty and think it's such a horrible thing and it should be banned, when the point you just made is what the book is actually trying to convey.
10. "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer

Reasons: Religious Viewpoint, Violence

Notice that "overall shittiness" wasn't listed as a reason.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
Notice that "overall shittiness" wasn't listed as a reason.

If only man... if only.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by zgr0826
If only man... if only.

What a long strange trip it's been

Nothing to see here.

You hail the calves as eloquently as any facade of Easter Island.

Quote by Pencil Man
You know it get's serious when UG's Obama tells you off.

Call me Mr. President
Quote by zgr0826
If only man... if only.

if only everything...
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~