As well as being the most generic thread name ever, this thread is probably also a rehash of a thousand and one other similar threads.

I've been playing bass for close to 2 years now, but have yet to take a lesson. I play fingerstyle (I played guitar before picking up bass and I wanted to two skills to develop independent of one another so I chose to not use picks) and play with an 80's style metal band when I'm playing with some guys.

The problem is that I feel limited to my small amount of music and bass theory. I can, given a guitar part to listen to, write a bass line with just enough frills in it to not sound like it's just following the guitar, but when asked to write something from scratch or to solo over a drum track I feel sort of hard pressed to come up with something good.

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but can someone recommend me some learning material to help me understand the concept of constructing music? I want to be able to sit down and just make something up that is pleasing to listen to and not just a rehash of songs that I know how to play.

Thanks in Advance,
Tyler
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
Quote by iTz_Panda
If you mean help with theory, then I used this website along with the help of my piano teacher.
http://www.musictheory.net/

Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to look into it.

And yeah, I guess I'm sort of looking on learning material on how to learn theory and apply it to my playing.
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.