I think one of the speakers in my combo is dead. I was using each speaker individually today and i noticed one had a huge drop in volume and sound extremely tinny.

Here's the clip, the first one is the none blown speaker, the second is the speaker that i think is blown:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8449636/speaker.mp3

does the second one sound blown to you?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
is it solid state or tube? if tube, i would check the tubes, if solid state, i'm pretty sure your speakers magnet has come loose.
Well, if it was tubes, it would have been both speakers.

It's your speaker.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
those clips were taken back to back on the same amp at the same time, just changing what speaker i was using. all eq settings where the same, the cable was even the same.

The amp is tube, the tubes are brand new JJ's. The amp itself has no problem. only when i play through my left speaker only do i get that thin sound.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by stratman_13
Well, if it was tubes, it would have been both speakers.

It's your speaker.

I figured it was the speaker, i was just hoping someone with more experience hearing blown speakers would chime in
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
it doesn't sound blown though, something else must be wrong.

The sound is still clear, just not loud. If it was blown, you would get awkward farting noises and stuff.
Quote by 00_hns_00
is it solid state or tube? if tube, i would check the tubes, if solid state, i'm pretty sure your speakers magnet has come loose.

Holy Crap. Wow.

Pete - I would maybe swap the speakers and see what happens. Seems goofy.

Wait. what do you mean 'using individually'?
were you changing the impedence setting when only using a single speaker as compard to both?

obviously i am not saying that running the amp the same way would affect two seperate speakers differently.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I bought a 5w Picovalve and plugged it into one speaker (set at 8 ohms on the head). The first speaker i tried was the "blown" one, and it sounded real thin and fiizzy. When i tried the other speaker in the cab, it sounded way better (like the clip you heard).

This is the first time i've even tried playing these speakers not in series. I guess i could have blown one a while ago and not known about it.

One funny thing is all of my clips have been mic'd on the bad speaker tomorrow i'll swap it out and see what happens.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
I bought a 5w Picovalve and plugged it into one speaker (set at 8 ohms on the head). The first speaker i tried was the "blown" one, and it sounded real thin and fiizzy. When i tried the other speaker in the cab, it sounded way better (like the clip you heard).

This is the first time i've even tried playing these speakers not in series. I guess i could have blown one a while ago and not known about it.

One funny thing is all of my clips have been mic'd on the bad speaker tomorrow i'll swap it out and see what happens.

Yeah, that might explain why you've been having a hard time getting a tone you liked.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yeah, that might explain why you've been having a hard time getting a tone you liked.

makes sense, although i've been struggling with that for a while. i remember i "broke them in" at my friends house a few weeks after i got them. i think i had my amp up to 7-8 or so it was so loud.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
makes sense, although i've been struggling with that for a while. i remember i "broke them in" at my friends house a few weeks after i got them. i think i had my amp up to 7-8 or so it was so loud.

That's prolly when you blew out that speaker, remember, tube amps can push themselves past their wattage rating, at 7-8 on the volume knob, I would expect you would of been pushing the speakers past the max rating, what's the amp again? I know cheaper amp makers put some really shitty speakers in their amps that can't take full volume.
I'm still a bit confused Pete but I'm tired and can't focus. You plugged a Pico Valve into your combo to use its speakers? How did plug into each speaker. Bugera was not turned on right? The speakers you have are like 60-70w each so I'm struggling to figure out how the Pico blew a speaker - even if mismatched. Are the speakers each rated at 8 ohms?
it's a 6262 combo, i put in a set of WGS V-30's tho. either way, it's pretty obvious the speaker isn't functioning properly. I wonder what exactly is wrong with it?
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'm still a bit confused Pete but I'm tired and can't focus. You plugged a Pico Valve into your combo to use its speakers? How did plug into each speaker. Bugera was not turned on right? The speakers you have are like 60-70w each so I'm struggling to figure out how the Pico blew a speaker - even if mismatched. Are the speakers each rated at 8 ohms?

i plugged a picovalve into my combo's speakers (using the combo as a cab), booger wasn't on.

the speakers are both 8 ohms and 60watts. I check with a multimeter and they both still read 8 ohms aswell.

I beleive i blew the speaker about 6 months ago and didn't know it. This was when i had them in series and was cranking the amp at the friends house for fun. since i never played the speakers individually, i may have gone for months not knowing the speaker was blown.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
it's a 6262 combo, i put in a set of WGS V-30's tho. either way, it's pretty obvious the speaker isn't functioning properly. I wonder what exactly is wrong with it?

Oh wow, you blew out a WGS V-30? That sucks, those are great speakers. Most likely you tore the cone or the outside foam/paper edge. I think that can be repaired, but I'm not sure. My dad had a bunch of old home stereo speakers foam repaired for $40 each.

I've blown out a Peavey Black Widow 18 inch speaker that was in a SP118 one time, fried the magnet on that one, wouldn't make any noise. So for your I expect you just tore something in the cone. Take it out and examine it.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Holy Crap. Wow.

Pete - I would maybe swap the speakers and see what happens. Seems goofy.

Wait. what do you mean 'using individually'?

could you expand? the magnetic field is what creates the frequencies which we perceive as sound. if the cone was split, it would be rumbling and sounding like a bad distortion pedal, but if its just loose parts, anything else could happen.

am i incorrect?
Quote by 00_hns_00
could you expand? the magnetic field is what creates the frequencies which we perceive as sound. if the cone was split, it would be rumbling and sounding like a bad distortion pedal, but if its just loose parts, anything else could happen.

am i incorrect?

Yes, you are. He tried each speaker individually, and each time the blown speaker sounded bad.

Tubes would not cause one speaker to sound bad and the other speaker to sound fine; they would both sound bad.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
oh, i assumed he was lol'ing at the "if not tubes, then probably magnet" explanation.

but then again, speakers are not my forte' . pickups on the other hand...