Hey guys,

So my A string has been breaking quite frequently on my LP Standard lately, right over where it crosses the saddle. I guessed that this means that the saddle needs filing. When I looked at the shape of the other saddles I noticed that the E, A and D string saddles are all U shaped, while the G, B and E are more V shaped. Is this okay? or do the G, B and E saddles also need to be U shaped?

I've had no problem with string breakages on any of the other strings, just the A. Would it be better to replace the saddles/buy a new bridge instead of trying to file them all? and if so which saddles/bridge would be best for an LP standard? I've looked at Tonepro's already and they look well built.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP LTD H-1001
Axe FX II
Blackstar S1-100 (selling)
Ovation Applause
Keeley modded TS-9
Boss NS-2 (selling)
Im Guessing that the E A D strings saddles are U shaped because the strings are wound and thicker (requiring larger hole), and the G B E strings saddles are V shaped because the strings are plain and thinner (requiring smaller hole). So DONT go trying to make all the saddles look the same.

Are there any abnormalities on the A strings saddle? any rough/chipped edges that you think are causing the breakage?

I cant help you much further on the A string breakage specifically, my recommendation is to either upload some high res pics of the saddle for some kind person on the forum to look at for defects or just take it in to your local guitar shop and get their opinion.

Hope this is of some help \m/
Ibanez RG321MH (with EMG 81/85)
Ibanez SA260FM (stock)

Boss ME-70

Roland CUBE 15X (built like a tank)

**coming soon**
Low wattage all tube amp

maybe selling ME-70 and buying stompboxes
My guess is a burr on the A string saddle. Take it to a tech.
Myself, I pretty much do all my own tech work on my equipment, except the nut and bridge repairs/mods.
Thanks guys.

I did have a close look at the saddle with a magnifying glass, and i couldn't see any sharp points, but I was in terrible lighting at the time, I'll be sure to look again today. I'm going to re string the whole guitar and see if the A snaps again, if it does I'll take it to a tech to have them look over it.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP LTD H-1001
Axe FX II
Blackstar S1-100 (selling)
Ovation Applause
Keeley modded TS-9
Boss NS-2 (selling)