is there anything that sounds like these? i like the tone but they are very expenisve...thanks in advance!
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
Well you usually get what you pay for. But I'd reckon that such PUs floats around on ebay and such.

Also you could concider to get only the bridge one. ( I got no idea if its a set of PUs, or just one.)
$280 for a set is expensive?

Seems pretty standard to me.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
its about what my wolfetones will cost
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Quote by bubb_tubbs
$280 for a set is expensive?

Seems pretty standard to me.

im a poor 14 year old XD
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
Yeah, but unless you get Seymour Generic or Failmarzio it's going to that expensive at most places for a new set, maybe more.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Yeah, but unless you get Seymour Generic or Failmarzio it's going to that expensive at most places for a new set, maybe more.

Failmarzio

But yeah, Tony Iommi pickups are worth every dollar they cost. They're pretty unique.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I NEVER SAID I DONT LIKE HIGH GAIN, I LOOOOOOVE HIGH GAIN! lol. you i know they are supposed to be great but i iz poor . guitar fetish i was originaly going to get the mean 90s..but tony only used p90 on the first (2?) albums/....
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Well, if I recall correctly, you were going for some '70s-ish rock tones with some tamer stuff here and there, right? That's PAF territory for the most part.
Jesus. For the last time:

New pickups with that amp will do absolutely nothing. You need a new amp. Then you can worry about pickups and everything else.

Unless you've gotten a new amp in the last 400 threads you've made...

On topic: You want a PAF style pup. Just order some from GuitarFetish.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
Jesus. For the last time:

New pickups with that amp will do absolutely nothing. You need a new amp. Then you can worry about pickups and everything else.

Unless you've gotten a new amp in the last 400 threads you've made...

On topic: You want a PAF style pup. Just order some from GuitarFetish.

PAF??? i know PAT but whats PAF? Yeah im sorry about all the threads but im a cheap ass. its true i wont sugar coat it. i like my money but dont like spending it XD.

And ive tried a different guitar on my amp and there is a significant difference with different pickups (in this case an emg 81 that my teacher was using).

I was listening to the 59s they sound good, but i dont know could have been youtube but it was missing the OOMPH.

I can understand you guys beings upset about all the threads and posts but i really really want this tone and dont want to screw myself by getting the wrong thing. as i know that tony actually uses the gibson pickups i was talking about i didnt know if there was anything cheaper.
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
PAF is the general term for a low output, "vintage" style pickup. It stands for "Patent Applied For".
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
PAF is the general term for a low output, "vintage" style pickup. It stands for "Patent Applied For".

oops sorry i kinda already new that XD. my problem was i got pat and paf confused. i thought pat was patent applied for for some reason and that paf was something by gfs XD. im an idiot.
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Seymour Generic or Failmarzio

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
PAF is the name commonly given to humbucking pickups made by Gibson around the late '50s (and replicas thereof, one of which is the Duncan '59, among others).

Hate to break it to you, but with a Valve Special, you won't get much oomph. It's a nice amp and I wouldn't mind one myself for sure, but for a fair amount of stable, well-defined low-end, you need a high-powered amp plugged into a big, closed-back cabinet. There are no substitutes (okay, there are, but they're just as expensive, if not more so). I'm just saying that with the Valve Special, you'll always have to compromise in this area. If your primary problem is the lack of low-end-punch, then that's mainly the amp, not the pups in this case.

But okay; let's try something different. A Duncan SH5 Custom for the bridge position might be worth a look. It's pretty high-output, but doesn't sound as abrassive as other pups of it's kind, making it more likely to work for your types of music. Plus, it has a buttload of low-end, which, combined with it's output, should help with the oomph.
Pair it with a '59 in the neck-position and you're good. But I'll have to repeat: For the music you listed in your last thread, a pair of '59s would be a typical choice. And no pup in the world will make your Valve Special sound like a raging 100w tube-amp, it's just not designed for this kind of thing.
Quote by TheQuailman
PAF is the name commonly given to humbucking pickups made by Gibson around the late '50s (and replicas thereof, one of which is the Duncan '59, among others).

Hate to break it to you, but with a Valve Special, you won't get much oomph. It's a nice amp and I wouldn't mind one myself for sure, but for a fair amount of stable, well-defined low-end, you need a high-powered amp plugged into a big, closed-back cabinet. There are no substitutes (okay, there are, but they're just as expensive, if not more so). I'm just saying that with the Valve Special, you'll always have to compromise in this area. If your primary problem is the lack of low-end-punch, then that's mainly the amp, not the pups in this case.

But okay; let's try something different. A Duncan SH5 Custom for the bridge position might be worth a look. It's pretty high-output, but doesn't sound as abrassive as other pups of it's kind, making it more likely to work for your types of music. Plus, it has a buttload of low-end, which, combined with it's output, should help with the oomph.
Pair it with a '59 in the neck-position and you're good. But I'll have to repeat: For the music you listed in your last thread, a pair of '59s would be a typical choice. And no pup in the world will make your Valve Special sound like a raging 100w tube-amp, it's just not designed for this kind of thing.

agreed with everything just posted XD. I love the valve special, its a sexy little amp. But its just not for metal, or hard rock for that matter. ill look up those pickups though. mabye it will be a good combination (and a cheap one i hope XD)
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
jarrod buddy, i mentioned this before and i'll say it again. tone chasing is a bit of a fools errand. as you can see it can get rather expensive which isn't an option for you. bottom line is that your current setup is ill suited for what you are trying to do. if i were you i'd just concentrate on getting the best tone you can with what you have or at least can afford to get.
Quote by monwobobbo
jarrod buddy, i mentioned this before and i'll say it again. tone chasing is a bit of a fools errand. as you can see it can get rather expensive which isn't an option for you. bottom line is that your current setup is ill suited for what you are trying to do. if i were you i'd just concentrate on getting the best tone you can with what you have or at least can afford to get.

okay thanks man XD. im saving up for an amp currently, which is why i was asking for some good ol cheap pickups as alternate to the gibbys.
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
okay thanks man XD. im saving up for an amp currently, which is why i was asking for some good ol cheap pickups as alternate to the gibbys.

ok that's cool and probably a good idea. one thing at a time. keep in mind that tony plays guitars that are made of mahogany and i'm sure there is other things that have been overlooked. honestly i think you'd be way better off working toward your own tone. i know you are a beginner and we all went through that phase where we wanted to sound like our guitar hero but in the end it's better to sound like you. the big name guitar guys got where they are by sounding different than the other guys. take the things you like out of your various influences and put them together. it's an on going process and takes time. have patience.
Quote by monwobobbo
ok that's cool and probably a good idea. one thing at a time. keep in mind that tony plays guitars that are made of mahogany and i'm sure there is other things that have been overlooked. honestly i think you'd be way better off working toward your own tone. i know you are a beginner and we all went through that phase where we wanted to sound like our guitar hero but in the end it's better to sound like you. the big name guitar guys got where they are by sounding different than the other guys. take the things you like out of your various influences and put them together. it's an on going process and takes time. have patience.

Honestly i like what i have now XD. should i jsut stay with it or try to go better?
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
Honestly i like what i have now XD. should i jsut stay with it or try to go better?

if you like what you have then you are good to go. "better" is a very subjective thing. look at all the advice here on what is "better" and yet it's not like everyone can agree. just take some time to learn to play and develop your own sound. once you have a better idea of what you are lacking in the sound dept then worry about what to get.
The Valve Special is nice and the Fender Frontman is the worst amp I've ever tried for any kind of gain. Anyway, some suggestions for a poor young man on a budget. First of all, it's true that you get what you pay for so if you get cheap pickups, cheap amps and cheap pedals, you probably won't find a good tone. There are exceptions to this rule but generally it's true. Secondly, buy used items whenever possible. Everything I have except my main guitar was bought off Ebay and it's all in pristine condition.

1) If you like the Valve Special and it does all you need at the moment except for gain, just work with that and get a decent distortion pedal to run through the clean channel for gain. Hardwire, Metal Muff etc. are good but avoid the Boss Metal Zone. This is certainly the cheapest way to solve your problem and probably the most effective unless you're spending a lot of money.

2) Change the amp to something with more gain. This is certainly more expensive so if you do decide to do this, get something you won't quickly outgrow. The Blackstar HT range has some impressive tones for relatively little expense.

3) Get new pickups. This really should be your LAST option as it's generally an expensive way of making far less difference to your tone than the previous two options will. Pickups is an area where I simply won't compromise because if you buy a cheap or even moderate pickup, all you will get is mud. My guitar came stock with a Seymour Duncan JB and two Hotrails. The JB is OK but a bit thin and characterless while the Hotrails are a muddy mess and bare in mind that these are pickups from a top manufacturer! The only pickups I like to use are Bareknuckle so I ordered a set for my Jackson last night and the Seymour Duncans will be relegated to a Yamaha Pacifica. Sadly these pickups aren't cheap but they are the best you can get and completely handmade to order. If you want a Tony Iommi sound, check out Bareknuckle Warpigs but I swear you're better off looking at my other two ideas first.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers&sub=contemporary&pickup=warpig
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
3) is kind of a loaded response, but that's honestly probably one of the best responses in this thread.

However I will say that BKP aren't the best per se. There are a ton of great pup companies like Wolfetone, Motor City, Frailin, Lollar.... that will all wind what you want.

TS: Pickups only work one way: Skimp out on them, and chances are you'll pay. Blow a bit of cash on them and make sure you have what you want (many custom pickup companies will wind what you want), and you'll be happy for a long time. But they're really not that big of a tone changer until you have a really good amp; the perfect set of pickups can be icing on the cake.

I will say this though. When you finally decide to splurge on some pups, RockMonkey pups are done by CourderoyEW (sp?) on this site, and from what I've heard they're great. He offers a 10% discount to UG members; and will wind you any pup you want. He's very knowledgeable on the subject, and can help you get what you need right down to the magnet.
--

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Apr 13, 2011,
thank you so much doad and strat . lot of information in both of those posts. Ill be sure to look at the pcikup recomendations when im ready. im gonng go look at the blackstar now...

Edit:ew....blackstae is 5 wats and anything higher is waaaaay to expensive
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
What are your main music styles again?
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
What are your main music styles again?

White sabbath (lol), classic metal, rock, metal, stuff like that. by metal though i dont mean death metal. i mean metallica. but mostly i want black sabbath now
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Would a big muff pedal get a good black sabbath tone? and if it could whihc model? Tone whicker one, pi one, russian one, little big one? which one! there are so many!

EDIT: was looking at the bugera 1990. sounds amazing...just wish i had 450 bucks to spend on it...is there anything like it besides the marshall jcm? anything...CHEAPER? i dought it but if you can find something ill buy you a new turtle...
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Last edited by Jarrodthebobo at Apr 13, 2011,
please i would really like to know which pedal as it would be a much better options than a new amp and pickups.
Quote by mcraddict81592

FrankenBee Build
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
im a poor 14 year old XD

They are quite expensive however the Epi Iommi SG with the proper Gibson pickups in it is only 'bout £400. Not bad! I've got the guitar, it's killer but comes without a case or gig bag.
Quote by Jarrodthebobo
please i would really like to know which pedal as it would be a much better options than a new amp and pickups.

Mini metal muff.
I too was a cheap skate 14 year old once,and I drooled over the Iommi-buckers.
But,here,in australia,they were $200 EACH.So at $400 a set,I certainly wasn't going near them,given that my $500-600 needed to include a new guitar too.
But luckily,I found the epiphone Iommi SG for $550.So at $400 for pickups,I was getting a pretty decent guitar $150!
My best advice is to make you have a nice gibson esque guitar.I.e:some semi decent passive humbuckers,mahogony style body etc,then find yourself a decent 50-100 watt master volume tube amp a decent sized cabinet.Brand doesn't particularly matter as much as you would think.Given your age,this has the advantage of being there,ready for the day you start a band.Which,you should do by the way...
I got myself a second hand laney A.O.R 50 for a steal over here,and I'm sure they're even cheaper in the states.Running into a 4x10,it was my workhorse amp for everything.Guitar,bass,organ,whatever came my way.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.