Hey, I could really use some help. I'm recording my solo album and could use help getting that professional, studio sounding, EQ. I'm looking for that Metallica EQ used on "Death Magnetic" or Shinedown's settings on "Sound of Madness" album (on songs like "Cyanide/Sweet Tooth Suicide" and "Devour") because I'm not mic'ing-up any amps or anything, it's a direct line-in. My setup is as follows:

[DigiTech RP255 Multi-FX]----->----[Behringer XENYX 502 Interaface]-------[Computer][Mixcraft 5]

My mic is just a Behringer XM8500 that came with the interface. Mixcraft 5 comes with two EQ plugins (Acoustica EQ, Classic EQ) and I added one (Pultronic Tube EQ), but I am thoroughly inexperienced with EQ's. Can anyone help me? The RP255 comes with a built-in editable parametric EQ...but it doesn't have many editing options...

...anyone help me out?
If you can acquire Fruity Loops (aka FLStudio), the plugin called "EQUO" in that is what I use for all my recordings and it takes a bland, dull sounding recording from a standard mic and gives it great depth. It has an analyze feature too so you don't even have to manually set the EQ. FLstudio is awesome for recording and mixing everything but if you can't get it I'm sure there are other ways to do it.
The settings for EQs will vary between each track. What Metallica used might be completely different than what you'll need to use.

Just learn about EQ'ing. I could link a guide or two on it.

If you really just want better guitar tones, then EQ'ing won't do it.

You should be satisfied with your sound at the source. EQ'ing should mostly come in place for how it fits and sounds in the mix best, with the exception of clearing out muddy low ends or fuzz and whatnot.

Throwing an EQ on a recorded tone isn't going to make it instantly sound like Metallica's tone.

It sounds like you just want your guitar tracks to sound more professional.. which means you'll need a new way for guitar tones

Bypass your RP's settings completely and follow this guide:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131250

You'll get much better results. On guitarampmodeling.com they have different impulses you can download. They have a number of Metallica ones that can give all sorts of tones you might like. If you're looking for a basic high gain rock tone like in bands like Shinedown then the Mesa Rectifier impulses should do it. And there's plenty of amp sims.

The tones from that method should be higher quality and more realistic than your RPs.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Apr 11, 2011,
^^ Right on.

The idea is to record sounds that are so good you don't need eq. You don't want to have to rely on that to get your sound. If there's some frequency content missing you can't just add it in there.
The key with EQ'ing (aside from GETTING THE SOUND RIGHT AT THE SOURCE!) is to take away more than add I find. Taking out dud frequency can free up more space in the mix making the bigger picture sound better.

Although the sounds might not sound perfect by themselves, what really matters is how they affect the whole mix. No point in having great sounding guitars if everything else sounds flat and dull.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Quote by TechnicolorType

You should be satisfied with your sound at the source. EQ'ing should mostly come in place for how it fits and sounds in the mix best, with the exception of clearing out muddy low ends or fuzz and whatnot.

YES!!

TS, what you're trying to do is get a million dollar sound with budget gear, which doesn't happen.

Now, it is a noble cause to try to do so, and you should be able to get *good* results. But there is a reason why expensive gear and studios are expensive.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
+1 on the importance of your source's quality.

TechnicolorType has the right idea with the DI option; you'll be better off with high quality dry tracks, since you can can always just reamp them when you have access to better equipment.

Also, this might be helpful to you: http://www.sirgalahad.org/paul/music/eq-guide.html

It's pretty accurate; the only major thing I would add is that (imo) cutting around 750-800Hz can really reduce the "cheap" sound you sometimes get with VST amp sims.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm