Page 1 of 4
It's safe to assume a large portion of the regular posters here are die hard metal fans. We all get a rush when we discover an awesome new band; we hunt for new bands to satisfy our unending thirst for metal. In our exploration of the expansive metal underground, many of us forgo the classic records. I know I'm guilty of this.

Today, I listened to Iced Earth's Burnt Offerings for the first time in two years. Literally had my mind blown all over again. It's made me realize how little attention I pay to the established classic albums of metal just to pursue unknown bands for a newer taste. Records like Burnt Offerings are classics for reasons.

Remember children, don't forget about the Maiden and the Priest. Shit'ss good mang.
We had a whole thread about this a couple of months ago, I believe Severed initiated it. I've been going back and collecting albums that I should have listened to as well instead of just searching for new and unknown bands.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Fukk this shit. I've been too inactive. I even missed helping create the new recc thread .
I rediscovered Priest awesomeness just a few weeks ago. I've learned a few songs from them since then too. I also listened to Motorhead for the first time in forever a few days ago.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Quote by The Virtuoso
We had a whole thread about this a couple of months ago, I believe Severed initiated it. I've been going back and collecting albums that I should have listened to as well instead of just searching for new and unknown bands.

I only came in here to post, "I refuse to post unless someone mentions me" and for christ's sake Virtuoso..

Now I have to post.

So, uhh...

On topic, I've been doing the same Virtuoso has been doing. Finally got around to listening to a lot of great releases and it's really only been beneficial.

Except for Suffocation listening.
Suffocation are actually really good. Only brutal death I listen to. And I definitely need to make that my avi again. Too many good memories...
I'm slowly developing an obsession with Rainbow - Rising

Dio + Blackmore = copious amounts of awesome.
last.fm
"the waves have now a redder glow..."
Suffocation are the only brutal death band I REALLY like. I just realized I have only heard like two of their albums. I better make that my priority then.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Quote by Kerry_King_1990
thats why you listen to Black Sabbaths first album (Black Sabbath) atleast once a month

I've listened to it many times this month.
Quote by beadhangingOne
It's weird. I only divert my attention from the classics if something really catches my fancy. At least half of what I listen to is on the rec thread.

Me too
Quote by beadhangingOne
After a three-year break period I was surprised at how much I loved Master of Puppets. I've always loved the three eight minute songs and other ones, but The Thing That Should Not Be is such a crushing monolith of groove-laden relentlessness, and I used to hate that song. The funny thing is forgetting some of the less catchy moments of the album, and listening to them again to realize all the new lower-tier thrash I've heard since that blatantly apes them.
I've been pretty much blasting various classics and essentials since that "metal failings" thread. Man, all that classic heavy metal, NWOBHM and doom I've been missing out on.

Tank, Candlesmass, Pentagram, Manowar, Trouble and so on.
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Well, sometimes there is a reason why they are classics. Of course it's quality. Why shouldn't you listen to it? Because it's too popular?
Quote by The_Casinator
Well, sometimes there is a reason why they are classics. Of course it's quality. Why shouldn't you listen to it? Because it's too popular?

It's not that people don't listen to them, it's that we often tend to forget about them when we get really deep into underground music.

On another note; I've finally "clicked" with the awesomeness that is grindcore so I've been taking the time to discover the classics in this genre. It's been just as exciting as when I first discovered rock music, then not long after, heavy and thrash metal all those years ago!
I play a bit of the 'classics' most days. Bitta Peace Sells on the bus home today, good stuff. There's a certain tendency not to throw them on though, overexposure as a young lad really.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Just copy pasted the albums from the rec thread onto a Word document so I know which ones I have to listen to. Gonna try to check these out every so often.
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
Quote by MightyAri
I wouldn't consider Burnt Offerings a classic really

Uhhhhh
I drink your milkshake.
Not too long ago, I basically gave up on any new Metal acts. I'll probably still check out the occasional release, but I've been sticking to what I consider the cream of the crop. I've been ever narrowing the collection to only the absolute essentials. Any new music I listen to / check out will most likely come from other areas, but Metal will always be my favorite genre of music.
Quote by NotFromANUS
Not too long ago, I basically gave up on any new Metal acts. I'll probably still check out the occasional release, but I've been sticking to what I consider the cream of the crop. I've been ever narrowing the collection to only the absolute essentials. Any new music I listen to / check out will most likely come from other areas, but Metal will always be my favorite genre of music.

Have you heard of Disma and Cruciamentum? Both "worthy" bands in my opinion.
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
Glad to see a lot of guys here agree with me. Blasting Powerslave at the moment. I found my old Powerslave shirt too! It used to be so long and loose on me, but now I almost have outgrown it. It's ridiculously tight around my chest, but good enough to wear!

Feeling worthy of my username right now.
Quote by sg_man08
Have you heard of Disma and Cruciamentum? Both "worthy" bands in my opinion.

Bro dude, I made the Disma thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1266785

I've basically given up on listening to anything that isn't absolute top tier. I still (and will basically always) promote bands like Disma that continue Metal in a worthy fashion, but it just isn't for me anymore. Unless something comes along that totally blows me away, it's not going to get more than one or two listens and only on the computer at that.
I find myself in the same situation a lot, where I neglect classic albums in favor of more recent stuff. For some reason I feel like I'm already familiar enough with the classic albums, even though I listen to the non-classics more often.
Quote by NotFromANUS

Last new releases I checked out, and properly listened to were from The Ocean, Baroness, Devin Townsend and Isis, unless I'm forgetting some, in which case they probably weren't worth remembering. I've been quite absent from recent 'Album of the year' threads.
Quote by NotFromANUS
Bro dude, I made the Disma thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1266785

I've basically given up on listening to anything that isn't absolute top tier. I still (and will basically always) promote bands like Disma that continue Metal in a worthy fashion, but it just isn't for me anymore. Unless something comes along that totally blows me away, it's not going to get more than one or two listens and only on the computer at that.

my bad

Because of this thread I decided to listen to Overkill and Relentless all the way through for the first (yes first) time.
Quote by severed-metal

last.fm
Last edited by sg_man08 at Apr 12, 2011,
I guess this is somewhat related...I recently deleted everything off my ipod and started anew. Really refreshing, and a much needed purification since my taste has changed considerably! I've cut it down to about twenty of my favorite albums; a palette like this allows me to focus on the material that is most relevant to my taste and become more intimate with said albums. Anybody else do this? Abandon more transitory works for that which you feel are more...significant? I suppose NFA touched upon the topic.
I had to clean out my iPod because I bought a new computer. when I was finished putting stuff back on it that I was actually going to listened to, it was less than half full, and less than half of it was metal.
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Apr 12, 2011,
I spend too much time jammin' to new (in other words unheard) stuff all the time.

Classics binge is about to begin
Philosophy > Life
One the one hand, classics are considered such for a reason, but on the other hand, its just mass opinion.
Take Maiden, a lot of people will tell you Number of the Beast is their 'classic' album, but I think on the whole it's pretty weak. Sure Hallowed be thy Name is arguably their best track, but aside from that what have you got? Run to the Hills, Number of the Beast and 22 Acacia Avenue. The rest I would consider filler to be perfectly honest.
And then stuff like, Cowboys from Hell, The Black Album, The Blackening etc. They are all considered classics by a lot of people, but none of them do anything for me, bar the odd track.
I don't think you should listen to it because its a classic. I'm not saying ignore the classics, by all means give them a go as they are obviously considered classics for a reason, but I think you should judge it for yourself and form your own opinions on it.

Personally I just listen to what I'm in the mood for regardless of if the albums are considered classics or not.

On the deleting music discussion, every few months I just go through everything I either downloaded and didn't like, or have just plain gone off. I remember once deleting about 16Gb in one afternoon once.
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
One the one hand, classics are considered such for a reason, but on the other hand, its just mass opinion.

Not entirely true. Refer to my next point.

Take Maiden, a lot of people will tell you Number of the Beast is their 'classic' album, but I think on the whole it's pretty weak.

It can be considered weak, but when you talk a different sort of Maiden fan, they'll recommend Killers or Powerslave even. There are real fans, and then there are tourists. (For lack of a better word)...and then there are those assholes who can't make up their minds on being a real fan or not and confuse the hell out of everybody by recommending Brave New World, although good, not a classic.

Then you have elitists in the mix. Which aren't necessarily bad in viewpoint, but rather aggressive.

Regardless, my point is essentially moot due to people having differing opinions anyways. Classics are everywhere. I'd consider Candlemass' EDM a classic, but I know others would head for Nightfall instead.

Personally I just listen to what I'm in the mood for regardless of if the albums are considered classics or not.

That works well, however, there is a classic for everything. It's not so much "feel like what you listen to" it's more of a, "If you haven't heard it, how do you know it's not what you're looking for?"

Unless of course you have heard it and then don't feel like listening to said classic.
I've been trying to catch up on all the classics for years, lol. I have all the Megadeth albums. I have all of Iron Maiden's albums. I got the good Metallica, Kreator, most of the Slayer, some ACDC, DRI, Cacophony, and a bunch more. The only recently released cd's I've bought are The Art of Partying by Municipal Waste and Killing Season by Death Angel.

People think I'm biased against newer music, but I'm just trying to make up for lost time.
Severed and Scourge speak the true, EDM over Nightfall, and Adramelech fukking own hard. Been listening to a lot of Tyr lately actually, I've forgotten how much I loved their music. As for classics, I despise them, but most, if not all of the bands listed on ANUS are classics, and worth listening to by all who consider themselves metal heads, nonetheless, there is more metal out there than just what ANUS recommends.

Anyways, I might go on a Bathory binge today!
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
On the turntable this saturday evening with a rake of cans:

Yeeeeeessssssssssss.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Page 1 of 4