i was thinking that we could use a snare thread. this is going to be a place where you can post and get guidance and check out what other people got and what they think of them. i may also post a snare 101 type thing in the beginning so i am going to reserve some posts in the beginning.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
reserved...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
reserved 2...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
reserved 3...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
hey, i'm no drummer, but I have to say I was at a Jimmy Lafave concert on Friday and the drummer had the most incredible sounding snare, it was beautiful with brushes for ballads, but also sounded great when hit hard in the rock tunes.
my snares. starting at the bottom.

This is a Tama Starclassic Maple. 14"x5.5" it is a great sounding snare, very bright for a wood snare, it likes to be tuned high in comparison to other maple snares i have tuned. it cuts nicely, but isn't used because i use a later snare on my main set.

This is a Pearl Sensitone Elite Stainless Steel. 14"x5.5" This snare i tune really high and it has the tightest popcorn like crack to it. it doesn't do well with two ply heads or heads that have a power dot. it has a lot of overtones to it and it sounds killer.

This is an old snare of unknown origions, maybe one of you could help me identfy it. its has a dampener for the top head, and is 14"x5.5", one of the guys at a local shop thinks its ludwig, but i doubt it because it says tiwan on the snare mechanism.

This is a 1993 Ludwig USA Maple. this one is one wood snare that sounds good tuned to the classic lower "colluseum" sound to it. it is a 14"x6.5". i don't know if the head on it is helping/hindering due to it not being coated, but it sounds pretty good.

MY MAIN SNARE!

Gretsch Custom Hand Hammered Copper. it origionally went for around $1200-$1500. this is a 14.5"x5.5" snare and it is by far the most musical sounding snare. it is very organic sounding for a metal snare, and is pure eargasm when hit.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Holy hell!
That's a lot of snares. I demand a snare only kit. Tune them all to different pitches. There will be a kick and cymbals.
I think that'd be awesome.

I have a 14" Pearl Maxwin snare drum. I like it tuned up real high. I need new snare wires for it though.
It has a Remo Weatherking head on it. I want to put a much more damp head on it next time I break a head. Currently I have a full set of E-Rings on my snare. I also have E-Rings on my toms.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
Holy hell!
That's a lot of snares. I demand a snare only kit. Tune them all to different pitches. There will be a kick and cymbals.

I have a 14" Pearl Maxwin snare drum. I like it tuned up real high. I need new snare wires for it though.
It has a Remo Weatherking head on it. I want to put a much more damp head on it next time I break a head. Currently I have a full set of E-Rings on my snare. I also have E-Rings on my toms.

i know, and i need to find a 13" piccolo or something. problem is i need a lot of hardware, and am mainly operating on trades.sales at the moment over craigslist, i got a lot of cash sunk into other gear to flip on craigslist.

i could also use another ride cymbal and a set of hihats.

cool with the maxwin, how deep is yours? i was unfamiliar with them and did a search and a lot of sizes popped up.

try moongel. i don't know if it would dampen enough for you, but it gives you more "life" in you drum(s) than the sound rings do. at least for me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by timbit2006
Holy hell!

I actually had that thought the other day

Anywho, I've got a '76 Ludwig Acrolite. I think it needs a coated batter head on it, but I can't really make any judgement until I replace the snare wires. One's loose and another is broken off on one end. It still sounds pretty damned good if I crank it.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i know, and i need to find a 13" piccolo or something. problem is i need a lot of hardware, and am mainly operating on trades.sales at the moment over craigslist, i got a lot of cash sunk into other gear to flip on craigslist.

i could also use another ride cymbal and a set of hihats.

cool with the maxwin, how deep is yours? i was unfamiliar with them and did a search and a lot of sizes popped up.

try moongel. i don't know if it would dampen enough for you, but it gives you more "life" in you drum(s) than the sound rings do. at least for me.

I've never been big on selling gear. I guess it's all psychology really. I buy used gear all the time though.

My Maxwin is 6" deep. It has a Remo Weatherking Powerstroke skin on it, and on the other side it's the stock skin.
..I was watching my death.
Definitely need a new snare, was going to get this:

Tama Masai Warlord Snare

but they increased the price quite a lot, so I gave up getting it

Now I'm probably going to pick up one of these:

Mapex Black Panther "Blade"

Sounds really nice from a few youtube clips I've seen, but I'll be heading somewhere to check it out I expect.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Any advice, tips and techniques on how to achieve that big snare reverb sound?
For what I mean look up 80s power ballads or stadium rock stuff.
Specifically this snare sound:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3jjeo_robert-tepper-angel-of-the-city-b-o_music
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Quote by Solid S/hit
Any advice, tips and techniques on how to achieve that big snare reverb sound?
For what I mean look up 80s power ballads or stadium rock stuff.
Specifically this snare sound:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3jjeo_robert-tepper-angel-of-the-city-b-o_music

Well, you'd put some gated verb on the snare track at a kinda large (maybe 1/2-3/4 of a second). I read somewhere about either cutting up an old snare head and putting it on top of the snare or just flipping it upside down and putting it on there, which actually worked pretty well.
My drummers currently running a pork pie snare, which sounds sick, billions of vents.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
GASing hard for a Chris Adler snare
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Primus2112
GASing hard for a Chris Adler snare

i would like one of those as well. i have always loved his snare sound. overall though i am happy with my snare collection. i am putting all the cash forward for the amps i am cloning.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!