Poll: Is philosophy important/do you like philosophy?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is philosophy important/do you like philosophy?
Yes
91 61%
No
30 20%
Depends
42 28%
It's important but I don't like it
23 15%
It's not important but I like it
41 28%
Why did I even include a poll? You were all going to pick the option that said "vaginaboob" anyway
55 37%
Voters: 149.
Page 1 of 3
What do you think about philosophy? Do you think it matters? How much? Why or why not?
I love it and I think it's very important. I hear many say it's nothing more than a bunch of stoners sitting around arguing semantics, but I always tell people who think that to suck my dick. Share your own opinion, though. I would've asked this in the philosophy thread but not as many people would see it and the regulars in that thread would obviously pick the same side. Poll coming
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Philosophy is an interesting subject that I enjoy to discuss with people, but going to school for philosophy qualifies you for nothing.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
I've always been interested in hearing what people think about things. But I absolutely hate it when it comes to arguing about semantics (as it often does). Once it gets to that point, I get sick of it and stop talking about it.

But I love to read philosophies and opinions on such things. To me it's something to be listened to, appreciated for what it is, and discussed. But i'm not down with the debating/trying to prove it wrong thing. Bores me.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
You tell them to suck your dick? But... you're a girl..? Or, so I thought.

Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Philosophy is chill.

Edit^: Fassa had you outclassed so much it's not even funny. We need a new troll to step up. I guess Nosferatu Man is that person.
Last edited by RU Experienced? at Apr 12, 2011,
I like it, but it doesn't agree with me.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Philosophy is an interesting subject that I enjoy to discuss with people, but going to school for philosophy qualifies you for nothing.

This, pretty much, although my cousin got a degree in philosophy and is now working in an IT call center and is thinking of being a high school science teacher, so I guess it can lead pretty much anywhere.
I both like it and think it's important.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
A lot of people who come up with philosophies are generally just egotists who take everything too seriously and think they can give all of the answers. But, there are some philosophical principles that I think are worth consideration.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Philosophy is chill.

Edit^: Fassa had you outclassed so much it's not even funny. We need a new troll to step up. I guess Nosferatu Man is that person.

Your the one who trolls my opinion, your like my own personal troll.

Sit troll, now role over.
Quote by ethan_hanus
It's stupid, it makes people ask stupid complex questions to the simplest already answered questions possible.

Is time realllll....durrrrrrrrrrr, I don't know, let me think about it for a MINUTE!!!

That's not even what philosophy was about. Philosophy is just the culmination of an individuals beliefs. Political philosophy is an extremely important field and is overlooked more than it should be, and often times moral philosophy goes hand in hand. It is interesting to talk about the possibilities that the things we take for granted may not be as they seem, but that's not all philosophy is.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
You tell them to suck your dick? But... you're a girl..? Or, so I thought.

Why do you think she's the only woman in the world who doesn't have penis envy?
I love philosophy; I'm incredibly torn between making my minor philosophy or music. It's a useless major, but actually pretty beneficial as a minor.

That being said, it's pretty useless compared to the olden days of Thomas Aquinas and Descartes. It's very spiritually satisfying and keeps the mind sharp, but it stops there unfortunately.

Still, any intuitive person should spend at least a little time exploring it.
Quote by samick007
This, pretty much, although my cousin got a degree in philosophy and is now working in an IT call center and is thinking of being a high school science teacher, so I guess it can lead pretty much anywhere.

People who talk shit on a philosophy degree are usually students who fail to recognise that it's not what your college degree is in that gets you hired but the fact that you have one. I mean there are cases like engineers or pharmacists or doctors that require a certain degree to work, but most jobs anymore just want you to have a degree in something. I mean, like a doctor could even have a philosophy degree, to get into medical school you don't have to major in anything particular, but you have to take certain classes that certain majors require.
Quote by ethan_hanus
It's stupid, it makes people ask stupid complex questions to the simplest already answered questions possible.

Is time realllll....durrrrrrrrrrr, I don't know, let me think about it for a MINUTE!!!

Not sure if serious...
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I think it's useful in its applications to other subjects, It's not called a PhD for nothing.
Quote by nincompoop
A lot of people who come up with philosophies are generally just egotists who take everything too seriously and think they can give all of the answers. But, there are some philosophical principles that I think are worth consideration.

Look up the name of your avatar bro.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Quote by tayroar
People who talk shit on a philosophy degree are usually students who fail to recognise that it's not what your college degree is in that gets you hired but the fact that you have one. I mean there are cases like engineers or pharmacists or doctors that require a certain degree to work, but most jobs anymore just want you to have a degree in something. I mean, like a doctor could even have a philosophy degree, to get into medical school you don't have to major in anything particular, but you have to take certain classes that certain majors require.

While your point regarding your degree selection is true, employers often see a philosophy as a cop out.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
While your point regarding your degree selection is true, employers often see a philosophy as a cop out.

Sort of this. I did philosophy last year in high school and everyone in my class who went to university interviews said the interviewer actually laughed or chuckled when they read it or were told about it.

Then again, this is Glasgow...
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

This. It's cool but in the end it's pretty much useless. I would never pay for a philosophy class, although I think I would enjoy it I could take if for free.
I do enjoy philosophy, and value it as important.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Quote by TheBurningFish
Sort of this. I did philosophy last year in high school and everyone in my class who went to university interviews said the interviewer actually laughed or chuckled when they read it or were told about it.

That's such a shame. :/
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Quote by TheBurningFish

Europe seems pretty different from the American system. It'd also be completely unproffessional to laugh at someone in an interview. There just seems to be a running joke against philosophy when it doesn't really hold up.
I find a lot of people will undergrad in philosophy, and then go a graduate study in something else, or do another undergrad/double. Ex: philosophy + law
I think the main thing about philosophy is that it encourages certain types of thinking (namely rational and logical) which are applicable to any area in life. I personally would avoid alot of problems in my day to day if people knew about logical fallacies for instance .

Its something I think should be integrated into some if not all highschool classes. This would have the added benefit of showing how philosophical thinking applies to different subjects as well.

Edited to not be a slab of text.
Quote by tayroar
There just seems to be a running joke against philosophy when it doesn't really hold up.

There isn't a joke so much as an understanding that, while philosophy is interesting and important in certain aspects, it doesn't provide a skill set that is valuable to employers. If you want a valuable major, choose something core. History. Biology. Mathematics. Physics.

The majors that start losing their foundation are Communications (less so in our age), Sociology, Psychology, Anthropology, Liberal Studies, or anything that's kind of directed towards teacher training.

I'm sort of a hypocrite, as my major is Social and Behavioral Sciences: Social History, but I'm aspiring to be a history teacher, so that's not much of a concern.
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Apr 12, 2011,
Quote by SlinkyBlue

not sure if serious ...
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
not sure if serious ...

Well, the majority of the thread agrees with me, care to defend your stance?
-Jim Morrison
Quote by TheBurningFish

That's pretty sad. In The US, most competent interviewers will view taking philosophy classes as a good asset since they promote critical and logical thinking.

Like someone else mentioned though, it's good to combine with other studies (ie: Double majoring, minoring, or using elective credits on philosophy classes)
Most Western philosophy, after reading much of it, I find it pretty retarded. It is mostly guys like Kant who are trying to rationally prove an abstract truth, like ethical system, when ethics are simply whatever you think they are, seeing as there is absolutely nothing to base it off objectively. Most Western philosophy is simply word games for people who enjoy that, as mathematics is number games, and science is hypothetical/experimental games. However, philosophy moreso than the latter two, nothing which they are trying to work out can be universally understood and agreed upon, so the philosophers works are basically just biographies of what they have thought throughout their life. They can prove it to be 'right', and someone who says the exact opposite will soon prove that to be right. This is because truth is basically subjective.

Hence, the only philosophy I find worthwhile is existentialist philosophy, largely Nietzsche, Kierkigaard, Camus, ect, and Chinese and Indian philosophy, such as Daoism, Upanisads, and interpretations of these like Crowley and Gurdjieff. These are written in a way which are personal, and interpretive, and simply lead one to their own philosophies.
Call me Jack
Last edited by srv_king at Apr 12, 2011,
Quote by srv_king
ethics are simply whatever you think they are, seeing as there is absolutely nothing to base it off objectively.

truth is basically subjective.

Very, very debatable.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Philosophy (the art of doubt) is like applying an acid to a corroded piece of metal. Used in the right amounts it can reveal the shining truth underneath, used too much can eat away at the integrity of the truth itself.
Last edited by Deaddog at Apr 12, 2011,
Quote by primusfan
not sure if serious ...

Hey Primusfan!!!
how goes it?
Been a long time since we chatted.
You not a mod anymore? To much pressure?
philosophy is the talk on a cereal box.

I don't think it's important for me. for the world, probably. maybe even a necessity, since people tend to develop their own reasons for existence and such.
The only philosophy I'm concerned with is music.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Well, the majority of the thread agrees with me, care to defend your stance?

1) university is not a vocational school so your point is irrelevant in the first place

2) there's no such thing as a skill set that those degrees have that philosophy doesn't. they all involve a higher plane of thinking, writing, decision-making. the vast majority of jobs have on-the-job training

3) biology, history, mathematics and philosophy are ALL liberal arts areas of study. not to mention I personally known Phil majors who have been far mire successful than science majors I know.

you've been bullshitted like every other American into thinking that what you study in college really matters. I know a guy who got a psych degree. business owner now. history degree? owns a successful bar. physics? works at a coffeeshop.

tell me, what skill set does history or biology give someone that makes them more qualified for the vast majority of jobs than philosophy? does being a file clerk and working up the corporate ladder to credit operations manager require a knowledge of the Sacco and Vanzetti case? Shakespeare? mitochondria?

if you're not a med student, law student, nurse or accountant it doesn't matter what you study. he'll even tons of law students were Phil majors.

edit: blame the misspellings on my phones autocorrect
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Apr 12, 2011,
Page 1 of 3