I know the world isn't so Black and white, but my question is about how YOU get new ideas for songs...

What do you do for inspiration or do you just come up with music

is it melody first or chords first? bass line?
listening to music, just walking around, playing videogames, watching movies, reading books, reading comics, meeting new people...... these are probably 99% of the ways I am inspired, the other times I'll just be sitting around and something pops into my head.

as for what comes first it's usually the chords, but sometimes the melody
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
it can be anything, sometimes its jamming a riff, sometimes its a "what if i did this and this and this" scenario in my brain, sometimes its made up entirely as i go along. theres a million ways really
I start with riffs. After I've recorded a bunch of them I listen and sift and sort ones that would go together. Then I write bridging sections.

I don't sing, so I don't have to worry about the meaning of a song until I need a title for it. My songs are just a bunch of things I think sound cool jammed together.

If lyrics were in the equation the process would be different, potentially more complex, because I'd try to make the music fit the words rather than being an abstract entity.
Quote by SamuraiSeven
I know the world isn't so Black and white, but my question is about how YOU get new ideas for songs...

What do you do for inspiration or do you just come up with music

is it melody first or chords first? bass line?

I basically listen......something comes to me... and I build from there.

Sometimes I'll be playing some music I dig, and the inspiration I feel will lead to some creativity.

I try to follow the inspiration as opposed to forcing myself to write just for the sake of it.

as far as melody or bassline.... either could come 1st. Often it's a melody for me, but not always.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 12, 2011,