Page 1 of 2
I need your help.
I'm sick and tired of my acoustic, and its time I got an electric.
I live in a city with very little options. I'm pretty much stuck to choosing an Ibanez or an LTD. My budget is $300 (without amp). Could you please suggest something? I would like to play Jazz, Blues, Rock, Metal, you name it.
anything off rondomusic in the 200-300 should be great for a first electric
they are versatile depending on your amp and settings need more info just reply.
Quote by aeromakesmusic
anything off rondomusic in the 200-300 should be great for a first electric
they are versatile depending on your amp and settings need more info just reply.

I live in Nepal. Shipping does not favor me (cause the country's terrain sucks and shipping would cost me an arm and a leg). I'm unfortunately stuck with a choice b/w Ibanez and ESP.
Quote by Naruto00121
Try the Ibanez RG350DX. They are great.

Sounds great, but a little expensive though. $400 I think. I checked the Ibanez RG170DX, and the bridge bugged me. I also saw the LTD M-50 and M-53. I didn't really like them much either. Not very flexible, with respect to tone.
Quote by wammybarnut
I live in Nepal. Shipping does not favor me (cause the country's terrain sucks and shipping would cost me an arm and a leg). I'm unfortunately stuck with a choice b/w Ibanez and ESP.

do you know which models exactly?
cause if you can tell me i might be able to help get one
best suited for you.
if not i would personally go try them out and see which sound
better to you.
i think i would go ibanez cause of there necks and decent pick ups
but thats just me try them out and see which sounds the best.
Quote by wammybarnut
Sounds great, but a little expensive though. $400 I think. I checked the Ibanez RG170DX, and the bridge bugged me. I also saw the LTD M-50 and M-53. I didn't really like them much either. Not very flexible, with respect to tone.

The Ibanez RG121EX has a fixed bridge and it's great for the price. It's much cheaper than the RG350DX and it plays just as well.
Quote by aeromakesmusic
do you know which models exactly?...
...i think i would go ibanez cause of there necks and decent pick ups
but thats just me try them out and see which sounds the best.

I feel the same way about Ibanez. About the models: thats what I want to know. Any ibanez model under $300 that is worthwhile?
Quote by wammybarnut
I feel the same way about Ibanez. About the models: thats what I want to know. Any ibanez model under $300 that is worthwhile?

Ibanez RG121EX. My first electric and i'm so glad I didn't get a RG170DX because that tremolo bar would detune the strings.
Take a look at the Vintage V100 series. (if you like Les Paul models that is)

I played a few lately and was surprised how good they were considering they were around 300 bucks.
Vision is the art of seeing things invisible to others.
im geussing that in yoour neck of the woods selection is quite small (correct me if im wrong i have no clue where nepal is sorry lol)

could you list what you could get your hands on easily, then we can suggest which model would be best

also do you have any second hand music shops or anything like that?
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Fender Greta + 1x12 Homemade cabinet - For sale PM for details.
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013 - Goldtop
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Quote by Tallica94
Take a look at the Squier Classic Vibe Series or Vintage Modified!

Squire +1 :p
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

'The dusty end, is not my friend.'
Quote by mikeb2817
im geussing that in yoour neck of the woods selection is quite small (correct me if im wrong i have no clue where nepal is sorry lol)

could you list what you could get your hands on easily, then we can suggest which model would be best

also do you have any second hand music shops or anything like that?

Yup, not much choice here. Plus we have blackouts/power-cuts for 14 hours a day. Its a fantastic place.

I can get all kinds of Ibanezes ESPs and a couple of Fenders. We have Epiphones and Jacksons as well, but that kindda sets me way outta my budget (cause the cheapest one is about $800). Tax kills here. An original Gibson Les Paul costs about $5000 because of import tax, so no one bothers to get Gibsons at all. Ironically, we do have "Givsons" which are strat copies from India.

I did see an SX Les Paul or something, It was terrible. They were selling it at $250 with a 60Watt SX amp. Naturally, the price made me suspicious.
Quote by Darkflame
^it's squiER
and the Yamaha Pacificas are the best guitars under 300$ you can get.

Got a whole yamaha showroom here. Pacificas are not so hard to get
The RG2EX1 or the RG2EX2 are 300 bucks and I love mine. Straight forward, fixed bridge, built like a rock, great guitar for the money. I have no complaints about mine.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Quote by Krauser
The RG2EX1 or the RG2EX2 are 300 bucks and I love mine. Straight forward, fixed bridge, built like a rock, great guitar for the money. I have no complaints about mine.

2 Questions.
Can I play blues every once in a while?
Can I drop tunings?
Quote by wammybarnut

You might try this Dean Vendetta XM Electric Guitar. A friend got it with a very good price the other day. Nice spcs, great to use. It might worth u a peek. Hope u find the best bet.
Quote by wammybarnut
Can a cheap ibanez handle blues?

Given what some of the old blues legends played on, I'd say there aren't very many guitars you can't play blues on...I've heard some incredible blues from 4 string POS homemade cigar box guitars when the right person was behind them.

I favor Ibanez, but the Pacifica advice above was spot on.
Surprised nobody has suggested the Epiphone Explorer GT. I know a lot of people hate it cause the body size is smaller then a traditional Explorer (15% smaller) but it is a full scale guitar, comes with two humbuckers, has that cool little kill switch and best of all is like $220CAD. I do not personally own the Explorer GT but I have played it and it's a beast for a sub $300 guitar I want to buy one just to put in my collection mostly as a conversation piece but the kill switch would probably make me pick it up more often then not. Heck spend about $500 and you could probably get some EMG 81/85 installed into it and have a scary little guitar.
I would say an Ibanez RGA42. Its what i have and i love it. Mines cost £280, so i dont know how much it will be over there, but my guess is within your price range.
Quote by gunther_sucks
Definitely get a fixed bridge, whatever you get. Tremolo's are a pita, especially cheap tremolo's.

No brainer, that.
Quote by BFMV1995
I would say an Ibanez RGA42. Its what i have and i love it. Mines cost £280, so i dont know how much it will be over there, but my guess is within your price range.

Not really in my price range, they're about $400-$450

Im going with the RG series, Maybe the EX1 or 2.
IF you play acoustic you know what feels good in hand so,go out and try every single guitar you can get your paws on. Do not take the word of any goof on the internut on what you should buy. Play,play play. That is the only way to know what you actually want.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by wammybarnut
2 Questions.
Can I play blues every once in a while?
Can I drop tunings?

Yessir... pretty much any guitar will handle blues with the right setups and playing techniques. It's more in the fingers but yeah, it will handle the occasional blues. It's very well rounded in sound as are most stock Ibanez pickup configurations.

And with the drop tunings, of course man. Mine is in Drop B right now and I go back and forth between drop B and drop C all the time on it but of course, like any guitar, you need to tinker with the intonation and the fine tunings a little but that comes with the territory of dropping that low and going back and forth. But yeah, it's good on the drop tuning end.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Quote by gunther_sucks
Well considering your username, I felt I should clarify.

Noted
Quote by Krauser
Yessir... pretty much any guitar will handle blues with the right setups and playing techniques. It's more in the fingers but yeah, it will handle the occasional blues. It's very well rounded in sound as are most stock Ibanez pickup configurations.

And with the drop tunings, of course man. Mine is in Drop B right now and I go back and forth between drop B and drop C all the time on it but of course, like any guitar, you need to tinker with the intonation and the fine tunings a little but that comes with the territory of dropping that low and going back and forth. But yeah, it's good on the drop tuning end.

Alright then, I guess its either the EX1/2 or the RG350 series (If I get a little bit of money)
you're legitamitely wasting your time on a low end ibanez or squier, unless its the RG321

get the RG321 or any agile les paul copy 2000 and above

best bang for the buck
Yeah i agree thr the RG2EX1 or 2. Also maybe wanna check out the cheaper Jacksons, they go for around 300 if i'm not mistaken
Quote by Bhaok
IF you play acoustic you know what feels good in hand so,go out and try every single guitar you can get your paws on. Do not take the word of any goof on the internut on what you should buy. Play,play play. That is the only way to know what you actually want.

listen to this i went through a similar experiance as u ts so just every guitar within sight (and budget )
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
Last edited by rhino1957 at Apr 21, 2011,
Page 1 of 2